Catholic Weddings
Options

Wedding Insomnia!

I'm just 5 days away from the big day, and wedding insomnia has struck hard an fast. I ended up with around 4 hours total last night. Ugh!
Ever since I was a little kid, I got in the habit of saying the rosary and/or praying the Our Father over and over again when I can't sleep. Just wondering if anybody does the same or had other prayer suggestions. It always helps get me into sort of a meditative state which clams me down when I am anxious about not sleeping. I welcome other suggestions as well! Thanks ladies!

Re: Wedding Insomnia!

• Options
    Oh you poor thing.  I think prayer is a great relaxation tool!

The morning of my wedding I woke up around 4 am and couldn't get back to sleep.  I ended up writing a letter to DH and it really helped me to relax.  I always find that reading or writing calms me down.

I hope you get some rest!  It will be such a beautiful day!
    Anniversary

• Options
    I couldn't fall asleep the night before the wedding, either!  My Nana always told me to say a rosary for the poor souls in Purgatory when I can't sleep, and it does work.  And hey, there's no shame in picking up some Zzz-quil for these last few days.  Just take a half dose at first though.  That's all I need.

• Options
    I'm just under two weeks out from my wedding, and am having the same problem.  I usually alternate between counting backwards, or saying Our Father/Hail Mary, which helps me to relax most of the time, and I try to read for a litle while before going to bed each night - it takes my mind off wedding-stuff and helps me start to feel tired.  However, on some nights where I'm feeling extra anxious, I've taken a half-dose of an OTC nighttime sleep aid just to help me fall asleep.

Congratulations on the upcoming day, I'm sure it will be wonderful!
  • Options
    My mom told me once that when she couldn't sleep, she said the Our Father then the Hail Mary over and over until she fell asleep. That has worked for me; the Rosary has worked for me; wordless prayer/meditation has worked for me (I try to focus on God only and shut out everything else). If I don't either read before or have white noise of some kind when I fall asleep, I really struggle. The night before my wedding, I took a Benadryl, and still had trouble falling asleep.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_wedding-insomnia?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:1ee67a22-4c67-4755-8b07-1a33fc87f30fPost:f5381f01-2592-44d4-b8ed-5c0f73b2c453">Re: Wedding Insomnia!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I couldn't fall asleep the night before the wedding, either!  My Nana always told me to say a rosary for the poor souls in Purgatory when I can't sleep, and it does work.  And hey, there's no shame in picking up some Zzz-quil for these last few days.  Just take a half dose at first though.  That's all I need.
    Posted by Resa77[/QUOTE]

My grandma told me the same thing about the souls in Purgatory (also to do this if you had to get up early the next day.) However I was probably 4 or 5 years old and didn't know about Purgatory so I assumed it was a foreign war-torn country.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Another vote for the prayer to calm the mind and body to sleep.  If you like to have calming "noise" when you're trying to sleep, too, the Laudate app (at least the droid version) has some really nice rosary podcasts that you can pray along to.  I really like the CatholicBridge one on there, myself.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

One thing to remember: The wedding is just one day. The marriage is all the rest of them.

April 2012 Siggy Challenge: Cake Inspiration
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_wedding-insomnia?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:1ee67a22-4c67-4755-8b07-1a33fc87f30fPost:76382fbc-d063-4bd3-bbb9-379e10e5d285">Re: Wedding Insomnia!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Wedding Insomnia! : My grandma told me the same thing about the souls in Purgatory (also to do this if you had to get up early the next day.) However I was probably 4 or 5 years old and <strong>didn't know about Purgatory so I assumed it was a foreign war-torn country.</strong>
    Posted by caitriona87[/QUOTE]

This made me laugh!!

• Options
    Thanks for sharing your stories ladies! Also thanks for all the well-wishes, I'm so excited to be married I can barely stand to get through these next few days haha!

I definitely LOL'd at purgatory - assuming it was a foreign war-torn country. I always had weird images of purgatory, it's an interesting concept for little kids to understand :-)
  • Options
    Thanks for this post! My wedding is in 5 days and I really needed to read this!!! :)
  • Options
    Hang in there, ladies!!!  We'll be praying for you :)  Next week, you'll be done with wedding planning forever!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards