Registry and Gift Forum
Options

Getting the Word Out About the Registry

Just curious -  how do you tell your guests where you're registering.  I was told that you shouldn't include it in the invitation, but with lack of the wedding website - I'm wondering how people will find out. 

Also - Can anyone tell me their Macy's horror stories!?!  We were going to register there, but I've read a lot of anti-Macy posts.

Re: Getting the Word Out About the Registry

• Options
    People found out about our registries by word of mouth - asking family and friends, etc.  Also, at one of my showers, they listed the registries on the invitation.

I have also heard of people going to popular stores, such as BB&B and Macy's and seeing if they're registered there - just to see - and then purchase off said registry.

And we registered at Macy's and had nothing but a totally awesome experience.  I will say this: when they ship gifts - they go WAY overboard on packaging.  They sent us a box that could have fit probably a person in it (it was THAT big) with tons of the popcorn styrofoam - just for a silver serving piece... nothing amazing, just Wilton.  It made a huge mess, but I love that they packaged it up that well.
  • Options
    Seriously, people are adults and know how to do this. They've done it before. In fact, registries have been around since before the internet. But now they can just google your names, which makes it easier than ever.

Everyone knows that MOST couples have registries. So they'll ask about them. They'll ask you or your families or your wedding party. So make sure to mention it to key people and if asked, they'll spread the word.

Also, think about what happens if, for some reason, you have 1 or 2 really clueless guests who don't find out where you are registered. Will it be the end of the world if they don't buy you a place setting? I don't think so. But FWIW I have NEVER heard someone say, "I really tried to find out where they were registered and just couldn't figure it out!"
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    We did word of mouth per advice here. Bad. I would include it on info if I had to do it again. I hate having to take the time to search for people's registry. I don't know why I didn't follow my gut!
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Just out of curiousity, why did you forego the wedding website?  I think it's a wonderful and useful invention, and sure registries have been around forever, but the internet makes it a lot easier to get the information out there!  I can understand not wanting to pay for a site, but The Knot, My Wedding...a lot of places offer basic free sites that are good for informational purposes.

Oh, and if I didn't have a site, I'd be relying on word of mouth.  I think it's tacky to promote where you're registered in the invitation in any way, and most of my friends/family have no problem just asking where we're registered if they're too lazy/busy to go look at our site.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Married Bio
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic My first love.

Me: 31 DH: 30

TTC since 10/2010. 2012: HSG showed unicornuate uterus on right side; both kidneys and both ovaries present. High risk for preterm labor, IUGR, and C-Section. Dx'd Hypothyroidism.
    1st BFP: 10/27/12, cycle before we had planned to see RE
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Pregnancy Blog
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_getting-word-out-registry?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:eb026ae4-4753-4ade-85f5-afa301d9ab3fPost:23db637b-ef8d-4463-b42f-38dcabe8b1e5">Re: Getting the Word Out About the Registry</a>:
    [QUOTE]You can ask the places you are registering at to provide little cards to slip into your formal invitations.  Pottery Barn provides these without any asking.  Theirs simply states "Registered at pottery barn" on a one inch by one inch card.  I don't think it's tacky to make a separate list to include with invites of where you are registered.  Afterall, your guests should be adult enough not to care if you let them know where they can buy gifts- wouldn't you rather they know so you get something you want instead of one of Aunt Bertha's hand made ceramic elephants or something along that line?
    Posted by Mamato[/QUOTE]

No, no, no. It IS bad etiquette/rude to include anything about the registry in your invitations. Or gifts, period. Whether they are on a separate card or not. And those store-given cards are expecially tacky. Of COURSE the store wants you to use them - they get money that way. They don't care about being classy.

YOU might rather they know, but frankly, some people might spite you by going off registry for that kind of gesture.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    Well said, MsMery.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_getting-word-out-registry?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:eb026ae4-4753-4ade-85f5-afa301d9ab3fPost:23db637b-ef8d-4463-b42f-38dcabe8b1e5">Re: Getting the Word Out About the Registry</a>:
    [QUOTE]You can ask the places you are registering at to provide little cards to slip into your formal invitations.  Pottery Barn provides these without any asking.  Theirs simply states "Registered at pottery barn" on a one inch by one inch card.  I don't think it's tacky to make a separate list to include with invites of where you are registered.  Afterall, your guests should be adult enough not to care if you let them know where they can buy gifts- wouldn't you rather they know so you get something you want instead of one of Aunt Bertha's hand made ceramic elephants or something along that line?
    Posted by Mamato[/QUOTE]

That's about the worst idea I've ever heard.

Believe it or not, people have been getting married and buying wedding gifts for years without the use of wedding websites and/or tiny tacky cards to put in your invitation. They will find out like everyone else, via word of mouth, or if they are lazy like me they'll just google your names + wedding registry, and guess what? They all appear like magic!
    Leo says hi. He's...special.
    Married
    Planning
  • Options
    Posted by Mamato[/QUOTE]

No.  No.  Nononononononono.  I just got a wedding invitation the other day, and the first thing out of the envelope was the registry card.  Um, so my gift is more important than my attendance?  WTF.  Now, I know it was the MOB that did the invites, and I'm actually friends with the groom, so I'm still attending and still taking a gift.  But I think the MOB is a moron.

DO NOT put registry info in the invitations.  If people want to know where you're registered, they'll ask you or your parents or your WP OR they'll google.  It's really not rocket science.
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • Options
    No, mamato, no. Also, if I didn't know where someone was registered, my likely reaction would be to ask as opposed to regifting some tacky item from my house. Anyone who would do that probably does not care about your registry in the first place.

Taco cat: Always a palindrome. ALWAYS, okay J&K?

"cool......insult my size 2 body or my natural brown hair...or the fact that my parents own a country club, I have no budget for a wedding, and I have horses. I really dont care. Its better then having roots." ~ futurepivko
  • Options
    People are not stupid, and your wedding is probably not the first registry-related event they have ever been to. Word of mouth is fine if you don't have a website. If Aunt Bertha wants to pass down her humping elephants statue, then she'll do it no matter where you are registered.

Personally, I always search online at the major retailers (BBB, C&B, Target, Walmart, and Macy's) before I ask. It only takes a minute.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    Word of mouth is the way to go.

The little cards really should be thrown away on the spot.  They're not appropriate in your wedding invitations at all.  They're slightly OK in shower invitations but many even find that the shower guest will call for registry information if it's needed.

The use of a registry isn't new nor is figuring out where a couple is registered.  Guests will use the internet or they'll pick up a phone if they want to know. 
  • Options
    Getting one of those cards in in invitation makes me MORE likely to gift a ceramic elephant statue.... or nothing at all.

Weddings are not that different from other parties you invite people to, I don't think.  How many people would send out birthday invitations saying "Jane Doe is registered at XXX store"?
  • Options
    Quick question- How about if instead of a registry we would prefer donations to a non-profit? Still word of mouth? Thanks!
  • Options
    Still word of mouth - and even then, it's a wee bit tacky.

I'll donate to a charity in my name - not for a couple.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards