Michigan-Grand Rapids

Kalamazoo Reception Venue - Trying to pick!!!

I fell in love with two reception spaces.....
The soon to be remodeled Radisson downtown and the Gilmore Theatre Complex (next to Miller Auditorium). Has anyone had their wedding receptions at either? If so, would love to hear your feedback!!!!! Thank you so very much!!!

Re: Kalamazoo Reception Venue - Trying to pick!!!

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-grand-rapids_kalamazoo-reception-venue-trying-to-pick?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:95Discussion:5e10b416-8f5e-4dcf-b8c4-f8152ffd146fPost:436b7b93-bf57-4063-a450-c91ff4145949">Kalamazoo Reception Venue - Trying to pick!!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I fell in love with two reception spaces..... The soon to be remodeled Radisson downtown and the Gilmore Theatre Complex (next to Miller Auditorium). Has anyone had their wedding receptions at either? If so, would love to hear your feedback!!!!! Thank you so very much!!!
    Posted by Weberlin14[/QUOTE]

I have worked at a couple of events at the Radisson as well as attended events there, and I actually have worked at receptions at the Gilmore Theater (if you have your event there, I might be your bartender!)  My immediate receptions are that the Radisson is downtown location, easy for walking to other locations, and obvs is a hotel which has many benefits; Gilmore Theater (I'm assuimg you're thinking the Williams Theater, aka the Black Box) is a smaller space and completely blank which means you can do whatever you want. 

The special events manager at the Radisson can meet with you and give you a packet of everything you need to know.  They will provide a lot for you, and the only food/beverage you can bring in is your cake.  The house manager at Gilmore (her name is Cheryl?  I think?) can do the same thing, meet with you and tell you prices and what they can provide.  At Gilmore you have bring in your own catering and cake, and  the staff at Miller Auditorium hold the liquor license for that building so you would meet with them to plan bar service if you want it. 

These are both on my list as well, so it depends on how much prep work you want to do and what you decide on budget.  I'd say definitely check them both out, they are both great venues!
  • Argh I had a whole post typed up and the board ate it.  Ok take two!

I have worked at events at the Radisson and attended events there, I have also worked at wedding receptions at the Gilmore Theater, so here are my immediate impressions of both:  The Radisson offers a pretty inclusive package and can take care of a lot of things for you, the only food/beverage you are allowed to bring in is your cake.  It's also a fun downtown location, people can stroll between ceremony and reception, and a hotel which is convenient.  Also you would get a complimentary jacuzzi suite the night after to start your honeymoon :)  The Gilmore (and I'm assuming you are looking at the Williams Theater, aka Black Box) is a smaller space and empty, which means you can do whatever you want with it but it would be a little more work on your part.  You have to bring in a catering service, and the Miller Auditorium staff hold the liquor license for the building so they would provide the bar service if you choose to have one.

So it depends on your budget and how much work you can/want to put in with both of them.  Meet with the special events manager at the Radisson and the house manager at Gilmore and see what services they can offer and which fits you best.  These are both on my possibilities list right now too.  They are both great venues, in the end it depends on what you want to plan for and pay for, so happy planning!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards