Delaware
Options

Newbie!

Hi all!
I've been stalking the message board for a litle while now, and decided to introduce myself!
My fiance and I are high school sweethearts and have been together for coming up on 8 years! He proposed on Christmas Day this past Christmas alongside our beautiful almost 5 year old daugher. We love being a family and are super excited to finally tie the knot! We're getting married on June 18, 2011 - and we've booked the Heritage Shores Golf Club as our ceremony & reception venue. Gorgeous place, a little long of a drive for most folks, but we hope everyone we want to be there to join us on our special day will be.
Not many vendors picked yet, definitely need suggestions for photog, (haven't started dress shopping either!), cakes, and all that good stuff. I'm excited to read posts, comment, check off on my list and get suggestions!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Newbie!

• Options
    kkidd28kkidd28 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Welcome to the board and congrats!  I think the location part is one of the biggest checks so good job there too!

When I started looking I think I loved going to bridal shows the best to get a good idea of the different styles of photography etc.  It gave me an idea of pricing, styles, and vendors all at once.  Then from there I was able to sift through them rather than go through them one by one.  They usually start back up in August so you're just in time.  Another tip that helped me - my FI and I made an email just for wedding stuff so when we went to the shows, we just use that instead of clogging our regular emails.  And we both check it daily so we knew everything that was being offered.

HTH!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Welcome and congrats!  You have come to the right place; the girls on here are helpful and honest, and will help you plan in any way possible!

Dress Shopping- Brides and Grooms, hands down.  They are amazing, their prices are great (my dress, which is an Alfred Angelo, would have cost $650 on sale, $800 regular, if I had gotten it at the actual Alfred Angelo store in Lancaster.  Brides and Grooms regular price was $520- and for a gown that was custom, since I have color in it!).  They carry a fair number of brands (Mori Lee, Maggie Sottero, Sottero and Midgely, Alfred Angelo, Impressions, Da Vinci, Mary's, Watters, and more).  If you buy your dress there, your girls get 15% off their dresses.  My only cautions: book an appointment (Faith and Susan are awesome), and DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT go on a Saturday, as it's busy as anything.  Also, take your dress somewhere else for alterations, as their alterations department doesn't have the best reputation.  I know so many people (in real life and on this board) that have gone there and gotten their dress there!  A tip:  If they carry the line, they can get the dress.  Just because they don't have it in stock doesn't mean they can't get it.  I know they are expanding, so hopefully they will be able to get more stock in (the store is literally a hole in the wall right now).  Also another tip:  They price match anywhere on anything.  If you find your girls dresses for cheaper on the internet, they match that price.

Cake:  Cakes by Kim is who we are going with, but I suggest you check with your venue because most venues like that include the cake as part of their package. In fact I would be surprised if they didn't, and I would request one, but that's just me LOL.  Other popular ones around here are Sweets to You by Ginger and Bings Bakery.  They all taste wonderful, and are all very reputable.

As far as the other vendors go, like photogs, video, DJs, etc, let us know your budget and we can help you from there!

Great to see you on here; I love that there are so many new girls that are livening up this board!
  • Options
    JennLonginoJennLongino member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Welcome!! I'm a newbie too!! I can't even tell you how wonderful these ladies are! You've done the right thing! Everyone on here is soooo helpful!! That's awesome you have a venue! I'm working on that now! Cakes by Kim is doing my cake - I already know that. lol. Everything else i'm not sure about... Once the venue is booked then i'll start on everything else... Can't wait to watch you go through the process!
  • Options
    Santorini2011Santorini2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    congrats and welcome!
  • Options
    huttonjhuttonj member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks all!!!

Glad I finally decided to get on here and check out everyone's plans and opinions!

@KKidd - I will definitely have to check out some bridal shows in the area, I think that will help me with some of the vendors I'm unsure of :)

@MBR - Brides & Grooms sounds wonderful thanks for the heads up about their alterations!

@Jenn - Fellow newbie! Yea!!! Good luck picking a venue, it's a tough decision if you find multiple places you like, but it'll be easy if you find one you love!

And thanks Santorini!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards