March 2013 Weddings
Options

Let's Talk Food...

I'm sorry I've been AWOL lately. My new job is really taking a toll on me. I'm so glad to see all these new March brides! Yay for a more active board!

So, if you're having food...what are you having? We had our tasting last weekend while FI's parents were in town.

Here's our Menu:

Meats/Carving Station
Roast Beef
Oven-Roasted Turkey

Sides
Chicken fingers with ranch dipping sauce
Twice-baked potatoes
Bacon stuffed mushrooms

Extras
Assorted cheeses
Assorted veggies
Salad
Assorted Rolls.

Does this sound okay? We are going to have 30ish children, so we wanted them to have chicken fingers to munch on since we realize they probably don't want a slice of meat..

What about everyone else?
imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFruit Ticker
BFP#1 4/9/12- EDD 12/22/12- M/MC at 9w4d 5/23/12.
BFP#2 12/18/12- EDD 8/31/13 First U/S- 6w4d HB 124! Second U/S- 10w2d HB 178!! Grow baby, grow! NT Scan Scheduled for 2/20/13.

Re: Let's Talk Food...

• Options
    We haven't had our tasting yet, so I don't have a food menu to share yet.  But, yours sounds good!  We will have quite a few kids too...I agree, chicken fingers are a must!
    March 2013 Oct Siggy-Hair Inspiration Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Both menus sound great! The crab ragoon dip sounds great... I may have to try to make some of that myself just to try it. 

I love to cook and eat so food was our number one priority and biggest slpurge. We are doing a seated dinner, which is probably the only formal part of our whole wedding. 

Mesclun Salad with Grilled Pears,Golden Maple Balsamic Vinaigrette to start. 

The entree choices are: 
    Sliced Grilled Chicken Breasts with Artichoke Lemon Sauce
    Grilled Pork Tenderloin with Orange Chipotle Sauce
    Baked Vegetable Wellington with Smoked Gouda 
    The kids plate is Mac and Cheese and Chicken skewers. 

Sides are:
    Lemon Zested Haricots Verts
    Roasted Garlic and Parmesan Smashed Red Bliss Potatoes

If I remember correctly anyways... We did our tasting last April so it seems like so long ago at this point. I remember the vegetable wellington being fantastic! For the kids we went with chicken skewers instead of fingers but pretty much the same thing. :) 

My favorite part.... instead of cake we are doing a cheesecake bar. So everyone gets a slice of NYCheesecake and there will be a bunch of different toppings for everyone to choose from. A bit heavy at the end of a meal, i know... but I'm so excited about it. 
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    CaitlynmkCaitlynmk member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited October 2012
    Yum!! All of these menus sound SO good :)@Jordan- I love the cominations of foods you guys picked! Thats A LOT of kids at a wedding! haha you guys are brave! The only kids we're having are the 3 flower girls. A Cheesecake bar sounds awesome too!

Here is our menu:

Appetizers during the cocktail hour:
    Mozzarella bites
    Swedish Meatballs
    Hibachi Chicken Skewers
    Phyllo Pocket with Spinach and Feta

First & Second Course:
    Cheese Tortellini with white wine shallot sauce
    Spinach and Strawberry salad with raspberry vinaigrette dressing

Entree Options, served with red potatoes and roasted veggies:
    Chicken Mediterranean
    Beef Tenderloins

Dessert:
    White cake with strawberry mousse filling
    Cookie table (its a Pittsburgh thing- kind of like candy table but our families make over 1000 cookies for this!)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    jennipea382jennipea382 member
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited October 2012
    Mmm this thread is going to make me hungry.. haha.

We haven't made a concrete decision yet on food, but we have a couple options we are thinking about. One will be cheaper and have more variety, but the other will have more of a meal and it would be more expected.

Option 1:
    Heavy appetizers (and "late night snacks" as our venue has them listed). We would do an assortment of these things. These are the things we liked; we may not do all of them.
    -Chicken fingers
    -Mini sandwiches or sliders
    -Chicken satay in a peanut sauce
    -Sweet potato fries
    -Veggie spring rolls
    -Crab cakes
    -Fruit and/or veggie tray

Option 2:
    "Platinum buffet". We thought about their Asian buffet but I don't think we can pass up some of the stuff we tasted! Comes with bread and butter, coffee station, veggie pasta salad, and veggies.
    -Winter house salad (spring mix with dried cranberries, roasted apples, walnuts)
    -Chicken kiev
    -Salmon with a lemon herb sauce
    -Four cheese ravioli or eggplant parmesan (I have a couple friends who are vegan.. I want them to be able to eat but I'm not sure either of these will work?)
    -Sweet mashed potatoes (no matter what we do I totally want some of these for myself! Haha)
    -Wild rice (maybe gratin potatoes, but I like having a non-potato side for people)

As for dessert, we will be doing cupcakes (though maybe a sheet cake through Sam's, I may have signed the contract when we could still bring our own cake. I'll have to check). We will probably just do marble cake. Some will have the white buttercream and some will have a chocolate ganache.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    March 2013 March siggy challenge - wedding preview
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Planning Bio
  • Options
    Thanks everyone, now I am hungry and realize what a slacker I am. Awesomeeeeee ;)
    We have not set in stone our menu, it is the one part of the wedding I have not obsessed over.
    We are supplying all the food and beverages for the wedding. I was lucky enough to have the very good friends of my uncle offer to help us cook all the food. They are both cooks and have watched me grown up. (me and my uncles are only 7 years apart, so we are all close).  Our venue has a full kitchen and we get it starting at 5pm the day before. Between the guys offering to help and the cooks in the family we are planning on knocking out enough food to feed 200 people. My family is use to doing the food for weddings in the family, so this is nothing out of the norm for them.

So far this is what we got:
    Cocktail hour:
    -Shrimp
    -antipasto skewers
    -Chicken on a stick- Hawaiian style
    -cheese & crackers
    - Swedish meatballs
    -& bacon wrapped something(this was FI only request for the whole dinner menu!)

Dinner:
    Salad-with some options of toppings and dressings

Pasta bar:
    -Angel hair pasta
    - Some type of short noodle-bowtie or something
    2 sauces: Alfredo & Marinara

Sides:
    Mixed Veggies
    Potatoes- probably a roasted red
    Mac & cheese- (We have lots of kids too)

Meats:
    Beef tips
    Chicken- undecided of type

This is a very rough draft. We are still adding/changing. The boys are making a list of some meals they recommend and are having a taste testing for me to pick.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_march-2013-weddings_lets-talk-food?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:2fb7282e-ed53-4794-84c9-f5617fc97f8bDiscussion:9e025b3c-5ecb-4cc1-9a73-2e4027d5cf08Post:b3d5c45a-4249-4c00-b370-3084a8f6ec16">Re: Let's Talk Food...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yum!  You are NEVER to old for chicken strips!!!  I'm 30 and would totally go for a round of chicken strips at a wedding. Our wedding is casual and our menu definitely reflects that: - <strong>Dip trio of crab rangoon dip with wonton chips</strong>, corn and black bean salsa with tortilla chips, and spinach and artichoke dip with pita chips - Grilled and chilled vegetable display with balsamic glaze - Imported and domestic cheese, cracker and fruit display - <strong>Mac and cheese bar with assorted topping</strong>s (roasted chicken, bacon, mushrooms, peas, roasted red peppers, scallions, toasted panko and shredded cheese) - Slider bar with assorted toppings (BBQ sauce, homemade ketchup, whole grain mustard, garlic aioli, lettuce, pickles, tomato, and assorted cheeses) accompanied by kettle cooked potato chips - Pretzel and cookie bar with hard and soft pretzels sprinkled with salt and cinnamon sugar, with chocolate, cheese and mustard dipping sauces, and a mixed assortment of cookies I'm also thinking about adding a salad bar, since our menu is pretty carb heavy... We are not having children at our wedding, so I didn't have to worry about a special kids meal.
    Posted by Sleeper2013[/QUOTE]

Oh. My. Gosh.

Can I come? Hehe
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFruit Ticker
    BFP#1 4/9/12- EDD 12/22/12- M/MC at 9w4d 5/23/12.
    BFP#2 12/18/12- EDD 8/31/13 First U/S- 6w4d HB 124! Second U/S- 10w2d HB 178!! Grow baby, grow! NT Scan Scheduled for 2/20/13.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards