Maine
Options

Makeup / Hair Cost

Does anyone have a sense for what is reasonable for makeup and hair?  How different is it if you have someone come to you vs. going to a salon?

I found someone for makeup but feel like she's expensive... although have no point of comparison.

I've seen good things about Roaming Artists and Joya Beauty - are there any others  you would recommend checking out (we are in S. Berwick / York / Portsmouth area)?

Re: Makeup / Hair Cost

• Options
    i'm a hairdresser and at my salon its about 75 for an updo and 30 for makeup.  if they come to your wedding site the cost doubles. which can get very expensive. it really depends on where you choose for a salon cause each one will be different and have different costs if they come to you.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I know a lot of places charge for the mileage outside of their coverage area. For example, some of the places I looked at were $.50 per mile outside of Portland.
  • Options
    I think I'm paying a lot but mine's $250 for hair and makeup plus trials of both too.
  • Options
    jess- thats around how much it would be at my salon now and my old salon.  you pay for what you get! so the more expensive the better quality ( but not always)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I used my sister for my makeup and my hair done by my aunt, so I can't speak from personal experience, but I know that a girl I went to high school with does hair and makeup and she charges $175 I think? Plus $0.50 a mile outside of Portland. Plus I think the price she uses decreases depending on if she does your bridesmaids too (decreases per person).
  • Options
    I should also add that she uses airbrushing as a point of reference.
  • Options
    We used From This Day Forward because they were so highly recommended.  I think their prices are comparable to anyone else who travels, but they are also professionals and their work is phenomenol.  They're in the midcoast so you might want to find out what travel prices are now that gas has gone up.  I think we paid somewhere between 30 and 40 cents a mile, which wasn't bad at the time. I also had a trial ahead of time and it was exactly what I was looking for. Good luck.
  • Options
    Ok, this is all really helpful.  My quote is for $125 +$25 for lashes + travel and extra for a trial... less for bridesmaids.

A friend said that this sounded steep but it is starting to sound like this is more in-line with what traveling professionals charge.

Any thoughts about going to a salon instead?  We'll be in Portsmouth, NH so am assuming there are a lot of options.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_maine_makeup-hair-cost?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:98Discussion:1a7702fd-b06e-48c8-951c-425c972247a3Post:69beffd4-ab0c-4cce-9990-c295357e24db">Re: Makeup / Hair Cost</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ok, this is all really helpful.  My quote is for $125 +$25 for lashes + travel and extra for a trial... less for bridesmaids. A friend said that this sounded steep but it is starting to sound like this is more in-line with what traveling professionals charge. <strong>Any thoughts about going to a salon instead?</strong>  We'll be in Portsmouth, NH so am assuming there are a lot of options.
    Posted by sarah0712[/QUOTE]

I think this definitely has pros and cons, but I really wish I had explored having someone come to me instead of going to a salon.  A month before my wedding, the place I had booked closed, so I had to scramble to make new arrangements and kind of had to take what I could get.

There was definitely a lot of down time, and if we had been at the hotel and had hair/makeup there, I would have had a much more relaxed time getting ready.    Instead, the owner at the shop I went to messed up with keeping track of who paid for what and I suffered for it by being stuck there 30 minutes after I was done. 

As long as you have the space where you are getting ready, and the extra $$ to cover it, I would consider having people come to you a worthwhile splurge.   It is definitely one of the few "I wish I had..." from my big day.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I definitely recommend having someone come to you if you can afford it. My aunt did my hair and my sister did my makeup so we were able to do it at the house where we were getting ready and it was so convenient. We also had another hairdresser come up to do the bridesmaids (they all wanted their hair done) so while one was being done, the rest of us could hang out.

All of my bridesmaids also really enjoyed the fact that we were at the house too. One told me she never had been in a wedding where she actually had time to eat lunch. We got to enjoy the morning and early afternoon together and didn't have to rush at all. It really made the whole day more enjoyable.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    my wedding make up artist asked for 125$ and she came to my home + her trial was for free but I had to go to her place in Windham.

She uses the airbrush system which it's amazing!!!! absolutely gorgeous...

Very cheap and she is amazing ...

Call me if you want her contact and I can share with you 207-482-3778
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards