Just Engaged and Proposals

Ring Troubles

I had to take my ring off yesterday, after just 5 days of wearing it because my finger was swelling.  I couldn't get it off and had to have the fiance pry it off through my crying fit.  Could I be allergic to the band?  It's white gold.  I've never worn rings before, so I wouldn't know if I am or not.  I'm afraid to put it back on.  What can we do?  Talk to the jewler and see if the band can be coated in something else?  Change the band to platinum?  Has anyone else gone through this?  I'm very upset as I will be traveling home to see family for the Holidays tomorrow and now I have no ring on my finger to show off :-(

Re: Ring Troubles

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_ring-troubles?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:683Discussion:5a7a5a0b-41f2-40fe-a466-fb1345af6f03Post:800e7b35-b479-436c-8cd1-d1a962489b76">Re: Ring Troubles</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would speak with a Jeweller. Are you sure the ring size is correct?
    Posted by mattycam[/QUOTE]

<div>Yes, it was actually spinning around my finger constantly and driving me nuts for the first few days of wearing it.  Then my finger begin to swell.  I can't go any smaller because it won't go past my knuckle, and I can't go any bigger because it will be too big once it is past my knuckle.  I have very thin fingers.. I'm only a 3.5.</div>
  • I work in a jewelery store.  I hav never seen anyone allergic to white gold before. If it is 14k whte gold there is a possibility that you are allergic to one of th metals that it is mixed with. I doubt it because a 14k it is more that 50% gold.   White gold is usually rhodium plated to make its that shiny white color.  I have enever heard of anyone reacting to that either but I am sure that it is possible.  Unfortuntale the only way to test that is to try yellow gold or platinum for awhile.
    As far as sizing goes, the nest way to get the proper size when you have large knuckles is to go a little bigger and have something called arthrtic balls put into the ring.  It should stop it from turning. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Visit The Knot!
  • Yeah, it might be some nickel in the white gold. On the wikipedia page:

Contact allergy

About one out of eight people has an allergic reaction to the nickel in some white gold alloys when worn over long periods. A typical reaction is a minor skin rash.[3] Because of this, many European countries do not use nickel white gold. White gold alloys made without nickel are less likely to be allergenic.

photo a826c490-726a-4824-af5c-d938878de228_zpseb85bb5a.jpg
  • Hi - I have an allergic reaction to some gold so that could be it. My beautiful ring was engraved with Beshert ("meant to be" in hebrew), but it was just a bit too big in these winter months, so as much  as i hated to do it, i put a ring guard on it. It gets over my nuckle but is snug on my finger. I was terrified that I'd lose it pulling my gloves off or flinging my hand around. I have a 4.25 size finger, which is hard to believe because my fingers don't look too small, so i know what you mean about it being hard to get the right size. this ring is platinum, and i've had no bad reaction to it.

good luck!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards