Snarky Brides
Options

Unprofessional?

Would it be unprofessional to put that you will be out for your wedding and honeymoon in an out-of-office reply? Or would it just be enough to be gone and then return with a different sender last name?

Re: Unprofessional?

• Options
    LabrnrLabrnr member
    First Comment
    I think if you have regualar contacts that aren't aware, you should probably send them a little note explaining the name change.

For the rest, just the normal response stating you are out of office.
    Visit The Nest! Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I think it depends on the type of people who may be sending you emails. If it's clients, I'd keep it strictly out of office, back such and such a date. If you only get internal emails and it's a smaller company, you CAN add the wedding part, but honestly it's better to err on the side of caution.

Chrissy & David -- 10/10/10

This is my "OMG-Don't-Drop-Me" face

Planning Bio

• Options

I don't think mentioning it would be unprofessional, IMO. Especially when you need a vacation response anyway. Just don't end the sentence with "bitches" or refer to the wedding as your "hitchin'." That shiz is unprofessional.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    So, "I'm getting hitched, bitchez!" wouldn't fly?
  • Options
    I think I'll just do a generic "out of office" for any/all emails I receive.  Most of my coworkers already know that I'm getting married. 

The few "regular" contacts I have, I'll probably shoot a quick "hey. I'm getting married, so I'll be gone for a week" email to before I leave.

My other concern is my email.  My work email is based on my last name, and it's a pain to change.  I've seen some of my coworkers/other University staff just add a quick "Please note the name change" to their signatures.  Is that weird?
  • Options
    I dig it, but yeah...probably better to not say bitchez.

• Options
    I depends on the environment.  My out of office reply was something to the effect of "Betrothed will be out of the office from May whatever to June whatever.  If you are in need of assistance before then, please contact X."  Noting the reason for my absence would have been unneeded information for the people who email me.

I also had the signature to my email address set up about 2 weeks before the wedding to say "Please note beginning X day my email address will be changing to BetrothedNewnameEmail."
    kd.joseph's wish is my command
    Just call me "Brothel"
    And betrothed, I'm disgusted with most of the comments that you have posted. I don't think I've ever read such judgmental comments in my life. I'm so lucky that the girls I speak to on theknot are nothing like you...I would've never come on here for ADVICE if I would've encountered a big a bitch as you. I genuinely feel awful for your children or your future children, and I think it would be irresponsible of YOU not to invest in their future therapy sessions starting now. Because trust me when I tell you honey, they're gonna need it. ~jcaruncho2010
    my read shelf:
    Betrothed 123's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_unprofessional?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:0436a23f-0816-4105-8804-d831e0f1effcPost:802b6cb4-ea8c-48d4-9ee7-11eb1f79ae18">Re: Unprofessional?</a>:
    [QUOTE]So, "I'm getting hitched, bitchez!" wouldn't fly?
    Posted by zippityb[/QUOTE]

No, Zip. THAT is unprofessional. Don't worry. We shall help you succeed.
  • Options
    I guess I should also leave off the "gettin laid in the shade" part too.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_unprofessional?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:0436a23f-0816-4105-8804-d831e0f1effcPost:19e2a539-1580-4875-abbb-4c3b88854f3e">Re: Unprofessional?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think I'll just do a generic "out of office" for any/all emails I receive.  Most of my coworkers already know that I'm getting married.  The few "regular" contacts I have, I'll probably shoot a quick "hey. I'm getting married, so I'll be gone for a week" email to before I leave. My other concern is my email.  My work email is based on my last name, and it's a pain to change.  I've seen some of my coworkers/other University staff just add a quick "Please note the name change" to their signatures.  Is that weird?
    Posted by Steph0871[/QUOTE]

Your IT department should be able to route the mail from your old address to your new one. It happens here all the time, lately its been more from divorce than marriate, though.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    edited June 2010

My question is are you going to AW some wedding pics on your return?

ETA:Only asking because we never see you. And where are you honeymooning?

• Options
    Only if asked for.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_unprofessional?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:0436a23f-0816-4105-8804-d831e0f1effcPost:1d9d0f75-4928-48bb-82cb-ac2422c6a647">Re: Unprofessional?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I guess I should also leave off the "gettin laid in the shade" part too.
    Posted by zippityb[/QUOTE]

Hahaha. Save that for water cooler convos.

When are you getting hitched?
  • Options
    Sarah- yeah. They could with the emails.  The problem is that we get one internet ID/username for just about everything.  It would take literally months to get everything switched over to a new one, with all the programs/websites/files I have to access. 

I think we're switching systems next summer, though, so I might just ask for a new one then.
  • Options
    Next Saturday.
  • Options
    !!! Next Saturday is very soon. Are you excited? Freaking out?
  • Options
    A generic "out of office until" is fine.  If you mention the wedding, it might incur an eyeroll or two from any cynical co-workers or clients.  If clients are unaware, and if you are changing your name, it might be a good idea to send them a quick message to let them know that any emails they receive from ZippityZ are from you. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    It is very soon. I still have some loose ends to tie up, and then next week is going to suck at work because we have Monday off and I want to get a bunch of stuff done before I'm gone on Friday, so I've got that. But I think I'm doing better than I thought I would be.

Upon thinking about it, I will probably do a generic OoOR, and then send a brief email to the people I deal with the most and who would most miss the fact that I will be gone and tell them who they can contact. I may mention that it's because I'm getting married, because I think they'll be happy to know about it.
  • Options
    Since it's work related, noone needs to know your whereabouts, just return date/time.
  • Options
    Zippity- I think it's fine to mention the wedding to people you communicate with regularly.  I know a few of my contacts would want to know, too  :)
  • Options
    That sounds like a plan. Yay for you!
  • Options
    I wouldn't set my out of office to include that info.  I would just have the usual 'on vacation until ... please contact x if you need assistance before then'... But I'm an attorney, so it may be different in different fields.
  • Options
    I would just put that you will be out of the office.  I would then slowly work my new name into everything.  You don't want to confuse people. 

2011 Reading Challenge

Jessica has read 16 books toward her goal of 150 books.
    hide
    "It's fine to have an open mind, just not so open your brains fall out."
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards