Louisiana-New Orleans

Seamstress needed! Please help

I purchased my dress at Pearl's Place, and went at the beginning of January for my first fitting.  The dress was very big on me, but the seamstress assured me that it would look perfect after alterations.  I went back Monday, and it looked awful!  Still waaay too big, and they had even made the bottom hem crooked so that the lining was showing in the front!  I almost cried.  When I pull it tight from the back, it looks great, but the way the dress is made it has to be taken in from the sides.  The seamstress told me she would "take it home to work on it herself."
But today, my bridesmaid went to get fitted for her dress, and asked the lady about mine.  She said that it had been so busy on Monday that the dress got sent out with the others by mistake, and she would not be giving it special attention.
I am so worried that when I get it back, it will be ruined a little more!  And, it won't be back until Feb 22, far too late to order another dress if I needed to.  Does anyone know anyone who does alterations for wedding dresses?  I think when it comes back, the best thing to do would be just to take it to someone else for further alterations.  My wedding is 4/3, soon!

Re: Seamstress needed! Please help

• marleemillermarleemiller member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I went to Supreeya.  She owns the shop Vanda on Dublin street (near Yvonne LaFleurs).  I bought a Spainsh lace dress off the rack that was too big and she did a great job altering it.  She is also super attentive...calling me to make sure that I liked everything.  I must admit that she costs way more than I was hoping to spend, but I live in DC and was only in NOLA for a few days and it was her or nothing. Mine also required a lot of her time...I'm not sure how extensive your alternations will be. 
  • edited December 2011
    I've used Supreeya as well, she is expensive but she'll do it right
  • edited December 2011
    There's also Elvia if you are on a budget. She was surprisingly inexpensive. (504) 467-0767.
  • edited December 2011
    If you're comfortable with sharing, can anyone give me a range that their alterations cost?  Thanks!  Also, how far in advance did you have your last fitting?
  • edited December 2011
    I haven't actually had mine done yet, but Elvia quoted me $45-$60 dollars for widening the bodice and sleeves of my grandmother's vintage gown.
  • marleemillermarleemiller member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    supreeya is in the hundreds of dollars range.
  • edited December 2011
    I am in a very similar situation.  I bought my dress from Pearl's Place, but have heard nothing but horrible stories  about alterations there.  I am considering just taking my dress to get altered by someone else. 

What did you end up doing?  Who finished your alterations and how did it turn out?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards