Wedding Etiquette Forum

What's the most uncomfortable

party you've ever been to?

I found out last night that an extra guest will be attending the party we're going to on Saturday - my H's exwife.  A mutual friend is throwing the (surprise) party.  I'm not the guest of honor, but I am sure surprised. 
DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
Mom to J: 2011
Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485

Re: What's the most uncomfortable

• Ewwww, Squirrls. That relaly sucks.

Worst party situation: Me. My ex-fiance. His baby mama (who always hated me) and the ex fiance's new girlfriend for a friend of mine's birthday. Friend of mine was ex-fiance's good friend, and baby momma's brother. Eep.

That was NOT fun.
    Vacation with Alix, Andy, Mandy, and FLORENCE. AND HER MACHINE.

The Margarita Evolution
  • Ohh that's a good surprise but I am sure you will handle it classy!  Most uncomfortable party I've been to was my friends wedding reception...one my ex's, an ex of my date AND the new boyfriend of my dates ex (ex was in the wedding party) were all at the same table!   Kind of Crazy but basically it was the most awkward dinner ever and I'm sure that happened because the bride didn't do the seating arrangement herself...
  • A retirement party for a former coworker given by the firm.

It was NOT his choice to retire!
  • Wow Squirrly I hope that goes well! :-/  Did their relationship end on a sour note?

I can't think of a bad party off of the top of my head, but our family Thanksgiving turned out to be a little more stressful than I had hoped. My side planned to do our dinner on Friday and on Thursday night my mom's friend invited herself and her son over for dinner.

That was fine because they don't have much family, but they can be rather annoying. She's VERY loud and VERY opinionated and it was hard to get a word in at times. I was also still getting over my sickness, so I was tired and didn't feel like being "on" the entire time. At one point I thought she was going to get in a fight with my brother. Her son is kind of weird and very socially awkward. I feel bad saying it, but I was happy when they finally left.
  • A fraternity party at a bar.  I went with a guy I'd been hanging out with for about a week.  Cheap drinks = really drunk.  Guy's friend ends up bleeding from his chin, doesn't know how it happened.  So I'm sitting on bar stool holding a napkin to this guy's face and he starts throwing up.  We get thrown out of the bar.  Oh and it's January.  My date calls someone and tells his friend that Maria is coming to pick us up because the bus we came on isn't leaving for hours.  My date goes inside to get my sweater and I ask the friend who Maria is.  Oh, she's the guy's ex-girlfriend.  That was a fun ride home.

ttc chart
    BFP 8/01/12, EDD 04/10/12, mm/c @ 6wks, discovered at 8wks, D&C 9/05/12
  • Probably a company holiday party at a job where everyone hated each other.  Awwwkward.

Is he on ok terms with his ex, squirrly?

And, OMG AN ORANGE!

• Wow, weren't you a lemon yesterday?  Go, baby squirrly!

Most uncomfortable party:  any party where my ex (smug, argumentative liberal) would get into it with his uncle (smug, argumentative conservative).  It always got ugly. 
  • The initial split was good terms.  Then horrid.  Then worse.  Then only screaming.  Then better.  Then nothing.  Then screaming.  Then just angry texting.  And now basically nothing. 

From what I understand, she has a history of beligerance and fights when drunk and unhappy.  I'm really, really, really hoping that the guest of honor's brother will be there.  He likes me better, and is a (very buff) prison guard. 

I really hope it ends up being at least not dangerous.  But I'm sort of expecting major drama.  (I'll report back on Monday if it's noteworthy.)

DIY & Planning | Married 

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • Myself, FI, my ex, and my ex's girlfriend, who he cheated on me with and got pregnant. Awkwaaaard.
  • I was at a birthday party for my best friend last year at my ex's apartment.  My ex who was dating my other best friend.  Not going to lie, I'm glad they broke up so that I don't have to invite him to the wedding.
  • I think I'd skip that party, squirrls.
  • my little cousins' baptism.  one of the girl's godmother is the cousin who thinks i tried to break her and her boyfriend up so i could gain a roommate.  she doesn't truly think that.   he just made up the story and it's easier for her to believe him over me cause she needs to be in a relationship.  whether or not it's to the biggest douchebag i've met.

"It's shart week." -georgiabride
    "This post is seriously retarded." -Stackeye210
    Miss
    Mrs & ZOMG we built a howse!
    being healthy. blog.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_whats-uncomfortable?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:8ff5c0e0-cf0b-4018-8df6-6c31341a58f0Post:e26e9928-e4ba-4636-83f4-fce95325a785">Re: What's the most uncomfortable</a>:
    [QUOTE]I was at a birthday party for my best friend last year at my ex's apartment.  My ex who was dating my other best friend.  Not going to lie, I'm glad they broke up so that I don't have to invite him to the wedding.
    Posted by kcscejal[/QUOTE]

Why would your best friend date your ex?
  • Squirrly: What does your H think about his EW being there? Is he okay with it and you're the nervous one? Or are you both equally nervous.
  • Hanukkah one year at my ex-boyfriend's house.  The family kept talking about his ex-girlfriend in front of me (who had been to Hanukkah the year before) and how obnoxious she was (which I guess is better than endlessly hearing about how awesome she was, but still, did they need to bring her up at all?) and his brother kept making lewd remarks to me.  On top of that, his mother was a terrible cook and totally butchered the entire meal, which made me sick to my stomach.

Books read in 2012: 21/50

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Neither of us are happy about it.  But, we can't really skip the part either, due to the guest of honor.  Andplus, I don't want to let HER dictate where we can go and what we can do.  But, yeah.  I wish I had a taser.  :D
    DIY & Planning | Married 

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_whats-uncomfortable?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:8ff5c0e0-cf0b-4018-8df6-6c31341a58f0Post:baf55505-3166-498e-824d-e8d2f639ab42">Re: What's the most uncomfortable</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What's the most uncomfortable : Why would your best friend date your ex?
    Posted by L-Bride[/QUOTE]
    She talked to me about it first.  I didn't care.  I was with FI by that time and had moved so I rarely saw either of them.  It was a little awkward, but if he was going to make her happy then I was happy for her.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_whats-uncomfortable?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:8ff5c0e0-cf0b-4018-8df6-6c31341a58f0Post:cf079a87-58a1-4958-98ea-60ac70f1d751">Re: What's the most uncomfortable</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What's the most uncomfortable : She talked to me about it first.  I didn't care.  I was with FI by that time and had moved so I rarely saw either of them.  It was a little awkward, but if he was going to make her happy then I was happy for her.
    Posted by kcscejal[/QUOTE]

You're a better woman than I. That would never fly with me.
  • Ew, Squirrly, that doesn't sound like a fun party. But at least you can show up all happily married and pregnant!

The worst party I went to was DH's office Christmas party last year. They were forecasting a horrible snow storm, so of all the 60 people who RSVPed (co-workers and SOs) only about a dozen people showed up. It was in a hotel ballroom and had a huge buffet and open bar all paid for by DH's generous boss and it mostly went to waste. There was a DJ and everything and only 4 girls dancing. I felt so bad for the boss, but it did really snow that night. By the time we left after being there for 3 hours there was about 6" of snow on the ground. It took an hour to drive 10 miles back home.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_whats-uncomfortable?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:8ff5c0e0-cf0b-4018-8df6-6c31341a58f0Post:0dfe1783-5ef1-4ce3-9523-cabc4978c46c">Re: What's the most uncomfortable</a>:
    [QUOTE]Neither of us are happy about it.  But, we can't really skip the part either, due to the guest of honor.  Andplus, I don't want to let HER dictate where we can go and what we can do.  But, yeah.  I wish I had a taser.  :D
    Posted by squirrly[/QUOTE]

If you still lived in Kentucky I have a stun gun you could borrow! :)
  • An office event where 4 people were having affairs, everyone else knew about it, and all their spouses were there. Quickest. Party. Ever. 
  • Ouch. I hope she behaves herself. I think you told me a couple of stories about her...
  • Birdie, one of my BMs who lives in Louisville has one too.  Those things are no joke.

Opal, probably so.  If I weren't forcibly sober on Saturday night (and thus the DD), you might be on my short list for "PLEASE!  Get me outta here!" calls.  :D  However, we do need to get together.
    DIY & Planning | Married 

• My brother went to a gun show and saw one in one of the displays. He "thought of me" so he bought one for me and SIL. It scares the poop out of the dog when FI sets it off (it scares the poop out of me too).
  • I co-hosted an Easter dinner once.  Turns out the co-host's husband was having an affair  and invited the mistress and her son to the dinner.  The mistress showed up early wearing a slutty outfit, got drunk two hours before the meal, publicly caused a scene between herself and the co-host, and demanded that the guilty husband pick a side in front of all of us.  

No one enjoyed the meal that I'd planned for days and spent hours cooking.   Eventually , the mistress was put in a taxi home (she was drunk), but then the husband spent the rest of the night telling my friend that she was a bad hostess.  I escaped as quickly as I could politely.

Yup, no more shared dinner parties for me.  
  • Oh, mica.  That's really bad. 
    DIY & Planning | Married 

• A good friend of mine took me, H (when he was my new flame) and a mutual friend of their's whom I had drunkenly made out with a few months before to dinner once. Awkward.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_whats-uncomfortable?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:8ff5c0e0-cf0b-4018-8df6-6c31341a58f0Post:cf4b725f-ade1-477f-9cc3-4b875ffb6c2f">Re: What's the most uncomfortable</a>:
    [QUOTE]Oh, mica.  That's really bad. 
    Posted by squirrly[/QUOTE]

<div>Yes, it was.  The three of us used to be best friends.  I have never been in the same room with the two of them together since that Easter.  Sigh.</div><div>
    </div><div>So, rest assured, the surprise party this weekend will probably not be as bad as my Easter dinner.  :)  I have a feeling that if anything bad happens, it'll be the ex who looks bad,  not you.</div>
  • I was completely uncomfortable when I discovered that BIL's wife and DH's EW are FBfriends.  

Supposedly BIL's wife did a search of their unusual last name, and EW's name popped up because she didn't take her maiden name back, so BIL's wife contacted her. 

I think, since those two didn't have a friendship when DH was briefly married to EW (lived in separate states, rarely saw one another, etc.), and since DH had a long period of being single again, and now DH is married to someone else now, that BIL's wife should never have connected up with EW.

So Squirrly, I'm saying that I would be very very very weirded out if I found out that BIL's wife had invited EW to a family event of some kind, and I would consider it a total disrepect of me.  I agree with you that I would GO to the event with FI.  But I think you should find out WHO invited EW, because isn't that a total disrespect of you to invite her at all?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards