Minnesota-Minneapolis and St. Paul

Reviews for Reception venues

Hey everyone, I am just starting to start looking at venues. The wedding isnt for about 2 years so I have time but I was wondering what everyone thinks of the reception venues in the cities. I live just east of the cities so I was hoping to keep it in the cities or east of the cities.
So what I am asking is where did you/are you having your reception, an estimation of price, and how happy you are with your choice.
Thanks!

Re: Reviews for Reception venues

• edited December 2011
    Where are you having your reception?
    We're having our reception at the Elm Creek Park Chalet in Maple Grove.

An estimation of price?
    Total for our Friday night rental in September was $1807.30.  This includes the site from 10:00 AM - 11:59 PM, damage deposit of $300, which we will get back as long as everything goes well, & a security officer fee of $220, because we are serving alcohol after 7:00 PM in the park district.

How happy you are with your choice?
    We're very happy with our decision to go with the Chalet.  Not only does the look & feel of the venue, fit perfectly with us & the feel of our wedding, but they've been great to work with.  We're able to bring in our own food, which was a huge plus for us!

GL in your search!  = )
  • Mejacoby0590Mejacoby0590 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Thanks so much!
    Sorry I also forgot to include was what is the capacity? I will have close to 200-250 people!
  • edited December 2011
    We're doing the Saint Paul Hotel. We wanted to go with a very classic and elegant wedding. My FI's parents got married at a hotel, so it was a great choice as they could host, ceremony, cocktail hour and reception al in one place. They have a great catering manager we've been working with who is coordinating when all our vendors arrive ect. Also there is no rental fee. we have a $750 switch fee to flip the room from ceremony to reception. There is a food and drink minimum that must be met and varies depending on what day you have the wedding. 
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_minnesota-minneapolis-st-paul_reviews-reception-venues?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:81Discussion:aaa60c54-2557-43d2-af44-8e519ca080c3Post:260e6581-8508-4def-bfc3-8aaf16a0a126">Re: Reviews for Reception venues</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks so much! Sorry I also forgot to include was what is the capacity? I will have close to 200-250 people!
    Posted by Mejacoby0590[/QUOTE]

The Chalet holds 200 people, but there are other sites in the Three Rivers Park District that hold more then that.
  • wittyschaffywittyschaffy member
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Another St. Paul hotel-er here.  They take insanely good care of you.  My reception set up, food, etc was at the absolute bottom of the worry list for my wedding day because I knew they'd do a great job (and they did).  Can't say enough good things about them.  We had just under 200 people and used the large ballroom. It was great  - people could walk around the tables easily and we had the dance floor in the middle.  Our "head" table was just a round table centrally located and it was really nice that way.  The room is gorgeous too!
  • Mejacoby0590Mejacoby0590 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011

Do you mind me asking a ballpark price range for St. Paul hotel?

• edited December 2011
    The Saturday night minimum for the Promenade ballroom is $13,000 pre tax and service. It is less on Fridays and Sundays, but I'm not sure the exact figure. If you contact Mary Jo, she should be able to tell you. The room can hold up to 350 I think. 
  • edited December 2011

I would recommend 317 on Rice Park.  I first saw it set up for a wedding last fall, and it was a dream!  Before seeing it, I had never really heard of it before.  It is right across from the Saint Paul Hotel, and they do also work with the hotel for accomodation deals.  The catering group works through the Xcel center so they have a large variety of entree options. 

317 is great if you are going for that classic, old-fashioned feel.  I don't think we will need many decorations besides candles and maybe a simple centerpiece as the room itself is so ornate and has its own decorative feel.  We are having ours in the Riverside room which holds 150, but it is also connected to an old-fashioned bar room and there is another room you can rent that is connected for an extra 50 guests seating. 

The deposit price was $2200, and I believe the food and beverage minimum goes up to near $7000 which includes the deposit.  But it depends on how many rooms you are renting out - we are doing the Riverside and the Bar.  The actual room pricing was:

Facility Fee pricing and F&B minimums:

Parkview  FF=$350 / F&B Min.=$5500
    Riverside  FF=$350 / F&B Min.=$5500
    John's Bar  FF=$150 / F&B Min.=$1375
    Club Room  FF=$150 / F&B Min.=$1375

It's definitely worth a look - I recommend talking to Elly Carlson, Wildside Caterers / Levy Restaurants | 175 West Kellogg Blvd | St Paul, MN 55102
    Phone: 651-470-3765 | Fax: 651-312-3440
     317 on Rice Park / Xcel Energy Center

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_minnesota-minneapolis-st-paul_reviews-reception-venues?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:81Discussion:aaa60c54-2557-43d2-af44-8e519ca080c3Post:7821a27b-0b05-4ce4-bccf-c0cbf0562ca8">Reviews for Reception venues</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hey everyone, I am just starting to start looking at venues. The wedding isnt for about 2 years so I have time but I was wondering what everyone thinks of the reception venues in the cities. I live just east of the cities so I was hoping to keep it in the cities or east of the cities. So what I am asking is where did you/are you having your reception, an estimation of price, and how happy you are with your choice. Thanks!
    Posted by Mejacoby0590[/QUOTE]

My ceremony and reception are at Mississippi Dunes Golf Links in Cottage Grove. The price per head is around $21 plus room reservation of about $1000 for a Saturday. They can accommodate up to 300 guests. So far I'm very happy with the venue, but I haven't had my wedding yet, so I can't say for sure how everything will go. I know there have been other girls on this board who have gotten married there and had a good experience. If you do end up going with them, let me know because I get freebies if I refer anyone! :) Good luck.

<a href="http://www.mississippidunes.com" rel='nofollow'>www.mississippidunes.com</a>
    Anniversary
    White Knot
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • edited December 2011
    I'm getting married at Graves 601 Hotel in downtown Minneapolis next month!  I think the capacity is around 300 people.  The ballroom is gorgeous, perfect if you're going for a more modern feel.

We had a $10,000 FB minimum, but it varies (and we easily exceeded it with 150 guests).  There's a $300 ceremony fee for changing the room.  The wedding package is $60 to $68 per person, which includes cocktail hour and a glass of wine with dinner.  We went totally off package and they were very flexible in accommodating our crazy menu requests.  If the food is anything like the tasting, it will be awesome.  

I feel like most of the downtown Minneapolis hotels are priced pretty similarly.  I visited most of them and liked the Radisson Plaza and the Grand Hotel Minneapolis as well.   Be aware that there's a 13.275% tax on alcohol if you have your wedding in Minneapolis.  Also, not many hotels have free parking for guests.  But at least you get a free room for the night!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards