Hawaii

Layovers

How long of a layover do you think is too long? I just got an email saying that the flights changed for our photographer and for FI's dad and they now have a 5 hour layover at 5 AM in San Francisco for their returning flight. I immediately got on the phone with the airline. The best they can do is reduce it to a 3 hour layover, as the earlier flight with the more reasonable connection was cancelled entirely.

What do you think?

Re: Layovers

• edited December 2011
    3 hours is a lot. But I think that's WAY better than 5....5 is WAY too long IMO, but I just like to "get there" or "get home" as fast as I can. I am also the person who gets nervous for my luggage when layovers are less than an hour. So overall, 3 is long, but they can find something to do. Grab a drink, or eat at the airport.
  • edited December 2011
    Which airline are you on?  I would call back and ask them to comp lounge access for the day for every affected passenger.  3 hours at SFO in a club with free WiFi, snacks, booze, and sometimes showers is a lot easier than being out in the main terminal.
  • AKWinterBrideAKWinterBride member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    3 hours is okay, you can waste that easily by eating and roaming around.  5 hours is a LOT, especially that early in the morning. 
    Photobucket Photobucket Anniversary
  • motoLynmotoLyn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I agree 3 hours can easily be spent.  Its better than 5 but sucks that there is a layover at all.  If they are coming into San Francisco airport p[perhaps step outside to get some fresh air.  If they are coming onto Oakland airport well.... I say just chill in the airport. 
  • breanessbreaness member
    edited December 2011
    Good suggestion about trying to get them into the lounge. I'll try to do that! They're on the latest flight leaving out of Maui and the earliest flight leaving out of SF. Looks like that's the best I can do :-/

I booked through United.
  • maui2011maui2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Brea...we're flying on points from Canada to Maui on United.  They changed our flight to Maui.  Man was i pissed...we had a direct flight from Chicago to Maui that we booked in December...now they added a second stop...Chicago to Denver to Maui with a 48 minute layover in Chicago.  Last time i checked our from Maui flight has not changed.  All this to say they will be changing the fights again and hopefully we will all be lucky and we will get the itinerary we all originally booked.  When i called united to ask why the flight was changed this was the response i received from the "customer service" agent ...they're the airline they can do whatever they want...WT?...pardon my language...i could not believe what i just heard...this is the attitude we have to deal with now.   I wouldn't put too much effort right now in trying to change flights as they will be changing again...united told me so.  About three to four months prior to your departure is when i would really start to get on them to play nice and do the right thing.  HTH! J. :-)
  • edited December 2011
    Ugh, that is horrible.  I wish I had something nice to say about United myself.  Our return flight home from Maui was at 1pm at the time of booking.  Somewhere along the way, it moved it earlier to 12:20pm.  Luckily we checked online!

Then on the way home, a flap was broken & they rebooked us on a different flight.  Upon landing, none of our SIX checked bags were there.  48 hours later, just this morning, the bags got delivered.  THANK GOD it was on the return and not the other way!
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Seriously airlines suck!!! If we received this kind of service at a store we would never shop their again...however airlines know they are the only game in town for quick...when the machine as a whole works well which is not often these days...for people to travel long distances. So they know that and totally take advantage and walk all over us and the government lets them get away with it.  Ok...sorry still bitter..lol.  On a happy note soo glad you received all your bags in one piece and thank your lucky stars that this happened on the way home and not on the way there. J. :-)
  • aliblualiblu member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ugh, United has made me so mad. They have changed our flights about 3 times, and changed our seats as well 2 times. I check my flights about every 1 week now just so I dont miss anything! We are now leaving Hawaii like 40 mins earlier, blah. Frown
    AliBlu | 6.8.2011 | My Bio-Updated 3/3
    Visit Maui.Weddings.com Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    edited December 2011
    I'm grateful it's not our flight (yet) but it is a bit annoying that I'm the one that has to deal with any changes to all three itineraries since I was the one to book and pay for them :(
    edited December 2011
    Of course I spoke too soon. Just got a call-- our returning flight now has a connection in Chicago instead of LAX and it's a 3 hour layover. I'm trying to get us all lounge access now.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Honestly...they are ridiculous...sadly this will more than likely not be your last change.  Once our intinerary is close to being finalized i will then see what we can get from them but since we are travelling on points they will probably not do anything for us.  Good luck !!!  J. Smile
    edited December 2011
    FI and I personally split the costs of all 6 flights. They'd BETTER do something for us! ;)
  • AKWinterBrideAKWinterBride member
    edited December 2011
    Brea - Definitely try to get in the lounge in Chicago!!  O'Hare is an awful airport when it comes to finding a nice place to relax or eat.  They have all the fast food places, and a few little restaurants, but it's pretty much just all terminals.  Minneapolis and Seattle have great airports, I love to be able to shop while waiting!!
    Photobucket Photobucket Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    They wouldn't give me any help over the phone but they recommended that I email the customer relations address to try to get the lounge access for each itinerary.

It's not a bad price $39 per person for a year, but I don't fly often and when that's for 6 passengers it definitely adds up fast.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Their phone agents are just useless aren't they! Please do email customer relations and keep us posted. They caused this whole mess so they should man up and do what is right. Thx. J. :-)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards