North Carolina

First Look in Wilmington

Hi,

We are doing a destination wedding in Wilmington, NC and would like to do a first look.  However, don't know where to do and so I'm turning to you lovely ladies for some suggestions.  We were told to try the River Walk but I feel like it's both overdone and will be crowded with Riverfest going on at the same time.  I'm open to any suggestions.  We are staying by Wrightsville Beach.

Re: First Look in Wilmington

• edited December 2011
    What time of year are you getting married? My FI lives at wrightsville beach so I love the area :) I think it'd be beautiful to have it right on the beach! There's a smaller private area at Wrightsville Park (end of the island) that many people don't about, so it'd be quieter. Airlie gardens is beautiful! however, there's a small admission fee (if you're brining lots of people with you this may not be the best option). I think the riverfront would be neat too...just maybe arrange to go at a less busy time.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I'm getting married in Surf City at their welcome center- the reception will be there the ceremony will be outside on the beach.  I suggest looking for some places close to, but not in Wilmington and you might save some money because its not a big city
    May 2013 Siggy: Flowers imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • rhettsbriderhettsbride member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I am also starting to plan in Wilmington. Some places that I have seen and liked that are not too overpriced: Battleship North Carolina, 128 South, The Balcony on Dock (all downtown), Bluewater Grill (beach). and Southport Community Center (nicer than it sounds! Southport). Good luck and let me know if you find anything good!

• squirrelcubesquirrelcube member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm getting married on Kure Beach next month, so if any of you ladies need advice/resources/etc. I'd be happy to help!  Depending on when you're going to be visiting Wilmington, you may want to plan your first look weekend when one of the wedding shows is occurring.

One good resource I found helpful was capefearwedding.com.  Their next show is Sunday October 30 from noon to 4 pm at the new Wilmington Convention Center (just opened last fall).  While my FI and I live in Charlotte, we're basically having to do everything long-distance, and I found most of our vendors through them.

Also, the WIlmington Visitor's Bureau website has a lot of wedding resources as well.  It can be found at capefearcoast.com.

Happy planning!
    Anniversary Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards