August 2013 Weddings

David's Bridal Experiences?

I made an appointment with David's Bridal and then canceled it when my future sis in law said she had terrible experiences at two different DB locations. She said her first time she left in tears and the second time was very frustrating when she tried to get her bridesmaids dresses. I ended up making an appointment at Alfred Angelo for Nov. 17.

Did anyone else go to DB? If so, how did it go?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: David's Bridal Experiences?

• I got my dress at DB. I didn't think that the sales people were very good at figuring out what I liked, they overscheduled themselves, and they took a long time to wait on me. I had my FSIL with me and FMIL. The FSIL found the right dress. I ended up still getting it with them as I don't fool around with shopping. Plus the price was awesome. When I see the one I like I go for it. It was priced right and looked good on me. So, I bought it there. No problems. I just wouldn't look for personal service. If that is important to you don't go with them.

I also got my invitations through them online. I actually really liked them and they ended up being better than I thought.
    Aug 2013 Brides - January Siggy Wedding Site, Pinecrest Lake: imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • I ended up getting my dress from them also aver hearing horrible stories as well. My experience with them was great. They pulled suggested dresses based on the styles I found myself liking.
    Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I have only been there to try on bridesmaids dresses, and found their sales staff to be unattentive and lacking knowledge of their acutal products. We did alot of online research and already knew the styles we liked, so we did end up getting the dresses there. Good Luck!
  • I didn't go to David's Bridal for my wedding dress, because I had some negative experiences with them as bridesmaid.  I did go to Alfred Angelo and I would say it's the same quality store.  Don't look for amazing service.  I had an appointment at 12 on a Sunday and they didn't wait on me until 12:40.  They seemed to take walk-ins ahead of me too, which was very frustrating.  I think both shops will get different reviews depending on the region though.  I have heard some people with really great experiences at both shops just not the ones I went to.

Have you looked into smaller bridal salons?  I ended up buying a beautiful Allure Bridal dress for only $960 (regular price).  The price was similar to the dresses I tried on at AA but the quality and style were so much better.
  • I absolutely LOVED my experience at David's Bridal. I would suggest going at a time that you would think is slow (a weekday, midday maybe). Especially this time of year  - it can be very slow. I went the Sunday during 4th of July weekend and I was the only bride there. My consultant had me try on every style to get a feel of what I liked. I ended up falling in love with a discontinued dress and bought it that day!

I also wanted to add buttons down the back of my dress. They let me go in the back to talk to the alterations girl & she showed me all the different buttons I could choose from. I really loved my experience with them.

I have heard of horrible experiences. I definitely think it depends on the location, consultants, etc.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Like the PPs have said it is going to be different for everyone and depending on the store. I went to DB for my first dress appointment with my MOH and the consultant ddidnt seem to interested in the appointment. I explained to her the style I liked and even had my account set up online with my favs saved. She didn't pull any of the one's I had saved and wasnt interested in trying to. I have not tried Alfred Angelo yet. Have fun at your appointment though!!! 
  • I did call one small local bridal salon and they said their dresses start at $1000 and my budget is under that. They did tell me about their sister discount store that is open on Saturdays so I'm going to check that out tomorrow. I'm going to a bridal fair Wednesday so hopefully I get info from more local shops.
    Thanks for sharing all your experiences, I guess I'll just have to hope for the best with AA and DB!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • That is where I got my dress from. They deff don't give you as much one on one attention as I'm sure higher end places give you but that wasn't a problem for me. I have had no bad experiences with them so far. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker August 2013 March Siggy Challenge: The Dress! Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I ended up finding the perfect dress at the discount store! it fits perfectly and was right under budget!! The seamstress will just alter the hem and do the bustle. I don't have any pics to share because I don't want my fiance accidentally stumbling across it. I'm so happy!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Congratulations on finding your dress!!! LaughingThis is still on my list of things to do!! 
  •  I have had some negative experiences with David's Bridal. When my best friend got married with went there for our bridesmaid dresses, there were 5 of and we went to three different stores and each had some sort of negative experience. One was told they could not get her a dress in the size she needed, it was a 14. I felt like it was a do it yourself service I went in and has someone helping me until she say a bride that needed help and she just left me standing there. After my friend and I figured out the dress I needed and where in line to order it the sales woman gave me her card and told me if I needed anything else to just call her.
    I thought I would give them a chance for my wedding. We went in one day to try on bridesmaid dresses and we were given a hard time because we did not have an appointment.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I had my first dress shopping experience at DB and it was HORRIBLE! The consultant was no help. I told her what I wanted and she said okay there are the dresses go pick the ones you want to try on. It was impossible to find anything because all the dresses look alike on the rack and there is litterally a sea of white to go through. I did find a few but not The Dress, I asked the consultant to pull specific dresses and she did but wouldnt do anything else. My mom had to lace up dresses for me. It was frusterating not being able to find ANYTHING I liked. The consultant brought out multiple dresses that were things I described as WOULD NEVER WEAR.  I would never go back or suggest anyone to go there.

A few weeks after my DB experience I went to another shop in town and it was amazing. Exactly what I expected it to be.
  • TandksmommyTandksmommy member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited November 2012
    I got my dress at DB and it was a great experience. My best friend went along and said she had 2 bad experiences at a different DB so she was kind of leary.

The girl who helped me wa awesome. She was busy with some other bridesmaids but that helped because I wanted time to look at myself in a gown and think. She was very helpful and answered every question I had--which even required hunting down the best seamstress they had and asking her some questions.

DO NOT GO IN JANUARY! January is known as "Bridal Christmas" and the stores get absolutely jam packed. You won't get great service. Go during the week if you can, Saturday's get crazy.
  • I literally just ordered my dress from DB yesterday!!! Every appoinment I had went smooth and my consultant was there every step of the way. She was also helping some bridesmaids but she seemed to juggle it all well. 

My sister and I went in to browse and found out the "slower" days and based my appoinments off of that. Durring the week is so much better because its not a crowded which I loved. 

Every time I've gone in they have been super nice and helpful and I'm considereing getting my invites from their online shop. 
    The Early Yearsimage November Siggy
  • I got my dress from David's Bridal. I could only do Saturday appointments as I work during the week and I felt very rushed (they will make sure you are only in the store for 1.5 hours) . I would recommend going during the week so you won't be as rushed. Also, the consultants are not very good at helping you find what you like - you have to go in with a pretty good idea of what you are looking for.The first time I went,  I had actually saved 10 dresses I liked to "my favorites" on the David's Bridal site a couple of days before my appointment. I was under the impression that the consultant could pull up my account from a computer in the store so i could access my favorites and tell them what dresses I wanted to try on. However, during the appointment she tells me that the dresses I added to my favorites "won't be in the system for 2-3 weeks." Now, I understand that this was poor planning on my part to not have printed out the dresses I wanted to try on, but I didnt understand why they wouldnt let me simply pull up my account on their computer to show them the dresses I wanted to try on. So...my first appointment was essentially a big disappointment. However, my second appointment, I had the dresses saved to my phone and told the consultant which ones I wanted to try on. Customer service and individual attention is definitely not their strength, but they make nice dresses at affordable prices.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards