Chinese Weddings
Options

chinese-babies

hi ladies! i used to be on this board a lot around my wedding in fall 2009....looks like i'm still the mod here (oops!).

so as the course of things go, i'm pregnant now, and the bump doesn't have a chinese-babies board, so i'm guessing this is my best resource?

i have a question regarding baby showers (american style) and the one-month party (chinese style).

my h and i are both 2nd gen chinese with traditional parents. h and i are pretty american, and do most things "american", but we like to tie in our chinese roots for flavor (see our married bio in siggy).

so my friends are really excited about throwing me a baby shower, and TBH, i've never been to a "chinese" (or even asian) baby shower....do these exist? i'm trying to come up with a guestlist, and i don't know--am i supposed to invite my family? i'm positive i also want the one-month party....should there be an overlap on guestlist? or do i just stick the family at the one-month party, and the friends at the baby shower?

thanks for any insight you can give!
♥ bfp2 02/15/2012 ♥ edd 10/23/2013 ♥
♥ bfp1 06/14/2011 ♥ edd 02/22/2012 ♥
♥ baby jennlin born on 02/15/2012 ♥

who says you can only wear your wedding dress once?

honeymoon biomarried bioplanning bio
jumped ship to the new and improved nest. back to TB for baby boards.

Re: chinese-babies

• Options
    ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Congrats jennlin!

My understandin is that Chinese people don't have showers because they don't give gifts before the baby arrives. I forget if it's the maternal or paternal grandmother that's supposed to put together the layette and keep everything until the birth. But talk to your parents, maybe they'll be interested in having or attending a shower. My BFF threw me a very small shower for friends only.
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • Options
    will47will47 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I could be wrong, but I think the 1 month or 100 day party is usually mostly family / extended family.
    my read shelf:
    William's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    jennlinjennlin member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    thanks for the input ladies! and congrats to you, too, ring pop!

i think i will keep the shower for immediate family (mom and cousins), and can have the fam at the 30day party.

some of my non-chinese friends *really* enjoy how h and i are both american, yet still pay respects to our chinese line, and i know they are dying to come ot the 30 day party, so i guess they can come to that too, if they want...i don't expect them to bring anything though. (they are the type that is too lazy to google what the party is about, anyway).
    ♥ bfp2 02/15/2012 ♥ edd 10/23/2013 ♥
    ♥ bfp1 06/14/2011 ♥ edd 02/22/2012 ♥
    ♥ baby jennlin born on 02/15/2012 ♥

who says you can only wear your wedding dress once?

honeymoon biomarried bioplanning bio
    jumped ship to the new and improved nest. back to TB for baby boards.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards