DC

Wine tasting at reception

We're thinking about trying to have a wine tasting at our reception, where a sommelier or winery employee-type person will pour tastings for our guests and tell them a little about what they're drinking. Along the lines of the experience you get if you visit a winery. (My fiancee and I got engaged at a winery, so they're special to us now.)

I have no idea what to expect in terms of pricing, so any insights? Also, I'm not sure who to get for it -- should I just start calling up wineries and asking if they'd be willing to send someone out with some bottles of wine, or are there special services that do this? Or should I ask my caterer if this is something they can provide along with their regular table wine service? If not would the caterer be annoyed by our bringing in another alcohol provider?

I'd love to hear from anyone who's done this before, or has been to a wedding that included a wine tasting.

Our wedding will have about 100 guests at a private family home in DC. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Re: Wine tasting at reception

• I would call a local winery, like you suggested. I would also try and ask bartenders who work at wine bars or restaurants with extensive wine lists. They have a lot of knowledge.
  • Jim Barker at the Washignton Wine Academy would be a great person to ask. Some local vineyards should also be willing to come and do a tasting for the cost of the wine (most of them do tastings at local festivals so they have the capacity to come out, set up & supply everything you'd need).

FWIW - I worked at a winery in VA, and we we did do wine tastings at a few wedding receptions. I can tell you from the bar perspective, most of your guests prefer to head to the bar and grab a drink quickly so they can spend their time talking, eating & dancing. Since your event is in a private home, you'll have to have your caterer supply extra glasses or use plastic cups.

Instead of a formal tasting, you may consider picking 4-6 wines you both love and have tasting notes available.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards