June 2013 Weddings

Momzilla! Help!!!

So... I don't know what to do with my mother. Her and I have always had a challenging relationship, and she has never been the true mother that most girls hope for. I have learned to adjust myself to this and have been able to tolerate her actions.... until now... My best friend and I decided to have an engagement party for my FI and I, and she wanted to plan everything. She didn't want us to worry about a thing. She asked if she should include my parents in the planning for this, and I didn't object. My parents have been fairly supportive and excited about the upcoming party. From the bits I have heard, they are planning something fantastic and really great for FI and I. About two weeks ago, I receive and e-vite from my mom to a house party for Telestrations, and the date/time is listed as the same as my engagement party. I phoned her to get the scoop, and she explained that it was just a game, she HAD to do it that same night or she would never be picked for a house party again in the future. I told her I didn't have an issue, we could play the game during the engagement party, she could take pics and post/blog about it after. Everything should be great, right??? Wrong!!
One week ago, I hop on facebook to see that I have been invited to an event. This event was created by my mother, on the same date/time as my engagement party, now listing the title as Telestrations and Engagement Party. Not only that, but she has now invited people who I do not know, so they were clearly not on the engagement party invite list. Also, my MOH had paid for and sent formal invites to the guest list for this party. At home that night, my FI also expressed some concern about this new facebook event. His parents are coming to this party from out of town, as well as his sister. They have only met my family once. He is very concerned that my mom will have invited so many people that she will become more focused on her "friends" than us, our friends, or his family. This has happened before...
So, I called my mom and asked her to kindly cancel the facebook event. To this, she began screaming at me, calling me a selfish, self-centered "B" and a bridezilla. I told her I would like to explain why my FI and I wanted to facebook event cancelled, and repeatedly told her I had no issue with her still playing the house party game at our engagement party. She refused to listen to me, and continued to scream and call me names. She told me that I need to be the center of attention, and that she is tired of me.
Now, I understand there are always two sides to the story, so I went out of my way to confirm with others involved with the wedding to verify my mom's claims of my behavior. I know that they may have been lying to me, but all told me they thought I have been nothing but pleasant during the planning process thus far, and they have enjoyed being around me. They reaffirmed that at no point did they feel I was talking about my wedding too much. Another added detail, is that three months ago, my mom berated me that I wasn't including her and my dad in planning enough. They felt left out, and that should include them more. I am not sure how I went from one end of the spectrum to another!
It has now been a full week since the blow-up from my mom. She has not spoken to me since, however has been telling my friends and acquaintances that she has seen at our local theater (place our family volunteers at) how miserable I have been during the engagement party planning, and how big of a bridezilla I have been.
I know that my mom has always needed to be the center of attention, and I have on multiple occasions sacrificed events or recognition that should have been directed to me, but instead she has taken over. I guess I had hoped that this one thing, our wedding, she would have acknowledged it was about my FI and I, our family and friends second. I don't know what to do.... She has created so many hurt feelings from me and my FI... I don't know how to move forward.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Momzilla! Help!!!

• I also have a mother that is difficult to deal with 98% of the time.

I know it sucks, but the only advice that I can tell you has actually worked for me is to just "play the game".  I personally prefer a speaking realtionship with my mother in the long run, so I always just kinda go with it.  "ok mom.  I'm sorry you feel that way, and I love you.  Can we move on?" type of deal.

If it's a HUGE deal to you, and you're willing to die on this hill, then do so.  But realize you have a year left, and there will be lots more hills.  Maybe save the dying for a more important one?

And of course, rant it out here :)
    June 2013 - January Sig Challenge - Honeymoon Destination - Prince Edward Island
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • rmp4996rmp4996 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited June 2012
    I'd say try reaching out to her again, calmly, and if that doesn't work then like Nikisha said, you have to choose: speaking relationship or giving up. I mean, if you still have the e-party, maybe she will still come, play the game, and come around. If not, you have a year to work on it, even though it may be a tough year. Talk it over with FI and decide if this is the battle you really want to fight.
    Honeymoon Destination - Hawaii image
  • sparkles776sparkles776 member
    Name Dropper First Comment First Anniversary
    edited June 2012
    I am so sorry, I also have a somewhat difficult mother, I would say we have a pretty typical mother/daughter relationship, we get along great most of the time, but we get in blow out fights. We got in probably the biggest fight we have ever got in earlier in the year and we didnt talk for about 3 weeks, and normally we talk at least every other day. I was so hurt, and I guess my biggest piece of advice is to just wait it out for a while and cool off,
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • SB1512SB1512 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment First Anniversary
    I hope you can work things out with your mom.  In the event that she is stubborn and still holds the events jointly, anyone invited to the party must be invited to the wedding, since it's wedding related.  Make sure to point that out to your mom because if she is paying for the wedding, she will now have to spend more $$ on those extra guests.  If your parents are not contributing and you and FI are paying for your wedding, you dictate the guest list for the wedding and if you don't want those extra people you don't know (and possibly can't afford) at your wedding, they cannot be at the engagement party.
  • I'm going to go ahead and say that even though etiquette dictates that anyone invited to wedding related parties must be invited to the wedding, that this may be an exception. Her mom is throwing two different events but is joining them out of what sounds like attention mongering bitchiness. I'd be one to say that those who weren't intended for the e-party but only the other event don't necessarily merit a wedding invitation in this instance. Her mom is digging her own grave and when those people don't get invited to the wedding she can be the one to tell them why. It was her horrid doings anyways, let her face her own uncomfortable consequences. Russ shouldn't have to invite a bunch of stranger her mom likes just because her mother made a horrible faux pas.  
                                                                                  Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Completely agree with you cnf.
  • I agree with cnf 100%. This is not the typical engagement party guest list vs. wedding guest list issue. This is a matter of her mother deciding to combine what should be two separate events, with zero regards to the impropriety of what she's doing. Russ should NOT be obligated to invite these people to her wedding because of what her mother is choosing to do. They're her mother's friends, the mother will be the one who has to deal with explaining to them why they didn't receive an invite.
  • This is not a typical engagement party so typical etiquette rules dont have to apply.
  • Yeah, I'm going to have to agree with other PP's, that SB's advice is a bit off.  These random people are invited to this other joint event, not necessarily your engagement party.  I think you would get a pass on this one.

My mom is being pretty wackadoodle as well, we actually had a huge blow up yesterday, and I may have suggested she needs to be evaluated for a stroke or some sort of mental illness, ugh, ok I did say that, but she totally drove me to it.  I'm not sure what's going to happen now, and honestly, at the moment I don't care.  Our relationship has been rocky for years.  Hugs to you!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Hey all!!!
    Thanks for all the supporting comments! I still haven't spoken to my mom, nor any other member of my immediate family... I really feel like they are either all scared of my mom or think I did something wrong. I am trying to just push past it and not let it bother me. I talked my FI, and him and I agreed that the best thing will be to not fight her any more. She will only try to make me more upset and hurt me more. I think the most frustrating part is that she is supposed to be supportive and this great person during this process, and she has been anything but... I know deep down that I shouldn't have expected her to be any different than she has been my entire life. The unfortunate reality is that this whole next year will probably be the beginning of the end of my mom and my relationship... which sucks. Thanks to everyone for being a place to talk it out. It has really has helped!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards