Connecticut
Options

Estate Wedding Help

My FIance and i have decided on exactly what we want for our wedding venue. Ideas and themed bounced around for weeks until we went and looked at the Societ Room in Hartford CT [http://hartfordsocietyroom.com/] -- I did LOVE this venue, but it would only accododate our guest list with a split level dinner (half the guests upstairs, and half downstairs). Although I don't really care, my fiance is not a fan of that idea. Also, it is a bit out of our price range.

I have looked up other places, mainly estates (bc that is all i am finding). I have looked at Endicott Estate (some of these may be in MA also), Lord THompson Estate, Wadsworth Mansion (too $$), Henderson House, and  Crane Estate (MA). I truly love this idea, or the castle theme idea (like St. CLements Castle) -- but I am having a hard time finding any.

Any help?

(our budge for the venue is no more than $15k and we are looking at having 150 guests)

Re: Estate Wedding Help

• Options
    jennylove810jennylove810 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I had my wedding at Stonington Meadows, which is definitely not an estate, and I'm afraid I can't be of much help.  I just wanted to applaud you for not being a fan of a split level (or split room) reception.  I've been to those before, and I've been stuck in the room/level without the bride and groom, and I hated it.  Felt like such a "2nd tier" guest.  So thank you for not liking that.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Branford House, in Groton, CTis an amazing venue...worth a shot. Tell them Alexis Stein Photography sent you. We recently shot 2 wedding there and they were both gorgeous. I am a bride as well and I would seriously consider having my wedding there had I not already planned on my venue since most of my family is from CT.
  • Options
    jennylove810jennylove810 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oops, I read your message wrong... either way, please take what I said about split level/room receptions into consideration :(
  • Options
    TBee99TBee99 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Check out my venue, the Branford House! There are 3 seperate (but connecting) rooms and it's only $4k to rent the site. You do need to bring in your own caterer though, but that helps control the cost.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    calindicalindi member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm getting married at Branford House (and Alexis Stein Photography is our photographer - Alexis is a sweetheart, as is her FI - one week from being 'husband').  I am a HUGE fan, but it might be hard to pull off with $15k and 150 guests.  The venue costs $4000 for a full day rental, whether you want your ceremony there or not.  They supply tables and chairs, but you'd still need to hire a caterer.  So that would leave you about $11k for the rest of the reception - linens, plates/silverware/glassware, food, drink - so that would be about $73/person.  Which is reasonable, but not a lot of wiggle room.  But that doesn't include centerpieces and/or flowers. 

And that's just if your budget is for reception-only.  If that includes attire, transportation, flowers, etc. then it's a lot more compact.  You may be better off going for a venue that is all-inclusive so you don't end up paying separate venue rental and caterer costs.

Anniversary

• Options
    MuddyInsigniaMuddyInsignia member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I just had my wedding at the Thames Club in New London. We had just under 150 people and well within that budget--beautiful location. But we had the meal served by stations--and not as a seated dinner. It was great for us-and plenty of room when served as stations--but because of the room break up described earlier, it would not have worked as a sit down for 150 in one single room.

Thames Club is an old social club (oldest in CT) so it has that high ceiling, dark wood, grand stair case, old building look--very grand and elegant. I highly recommend it--it was absolutely perfect for us. If you are interested in looking at it, tell them Catherine sent you and they would be happy to give you a tour. I don't have the pro pictures back yet... but here are some from friends:

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards