Pre-wedding Parties
Options

Wine poem wines?

So I'm putting together a wine poem basket for my bride (I'm MOH) for her her shower...here is the poem (each poem is attached to the bottle) but I'm at a loss for what wines to put in the basket...any ideas ladies? I'm not asking for a wine contassur, just if anyone has done this before and would like to share

Wedding Night

The night you have dreamed of is finally here
The future surrounds you with hope and yet fear
You’ve wanted so long to find your perfect mate
Sip this wine and toast this perfect date
The night is meant for you to share
Enjoy each other – a perfect pair!!

First Fight

When fights occur and tempers get hot
Pour a glass and be thankful for what you’ve got
If you always agreed it would certainly be a bore
And by asking for Krissy’s hand Bernie is surely
in for more!

First Anniversary

Been married a year, where did the time go?
No longer newlyweds, now you are pros
Hope the days found you in good health and
good spirit
Keep saying I love you –
one always needs to hear it!
Now toast this first date, it’s certainly not the last
And as you build your future don’t ever forget
the past!

First Dinner Party

Open your home to entertain and eat
Catch up with old friends and new ones to meet
When the night is over share this bottle of wine
But don’t sit down yet – it’s clean up time!!

Christmas Eve

A wise man said wine is better than beer
And now is the season for lots of holiday cheer
So pop the cork and relax a bit,
And when the night is through,
Kiss goodnight, close your eyes
And Santa will be good to you!

First Baby

The news that a baby will soon share your life
will make you a mother, not only a wife
You’ll see it through good times and sometimes
through bad
______ the loving mother
and _____ the dearest dad
Sadly _____ (groom) must drink this one alone, and _____(bride) with an empty glass
Sit back and relax – nine months will quickly pass!

Re: Wine poem wines?

• Options
    gutsymamagutsymama member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't know that there are particular wines that go best for these scenarios. I suppose if you could find out the kind of wine they had on their first date/significant annniversary/proposal night etc, that could work for one of these. But it's probably best to think about what they'd like the most. Do the bride and groom prefer reds or white? Are you looking in a particular price range?

If you have a Trader Joe's near you, they've been really helpful in selecting wines for various occasions (free wine tastings on Saturdays!), plus they're generally super affordable. 

Also, I really hate the idea of the first baby wine with the dad-to-be drinking by himself. Could you make this a sparkling juice or something else N/A instead, so they could still celebrate together? (There are also some other things to consider here - Are you sure they want to have kids? What if they can't?) I don't want to burst your bubble on this, as I think it's a really cute idea and I'd love to receive it. Just something to think about. 
    Bonham + Books
    My BFP Chart
    BabyFruit Ticker IT'S A BOY!!!!
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think it depends on what kind of wine they drink.  If they drink a lot of wine, I'd ask them what kinds they prefer.  (You can do this in a sort of undercover way if this is a surprise - or go snooping in their wine selection).

If they DON'T drink wine, I'd go with a variety of the common wines.  I'd go to your local vineyard/liquor/wine store and ask them what wines are good for beginners.

Most of the events are soon (as in could be used in the next year or 2) so I would go with a wine that is a few years old already since it won't have much time to age before they drink it.

I love the gift idea, BTW! It's very thoughtful!

LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • Options
    r2flechtr2flecht member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    These poems are absolutely adorable!  Not sure which wines to give, but I LOVE this idea!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My Mom did this for my bridal shower (she used a wine rack instead of a basket).  For the wedding night, she got us a bottle of Champagne. For the other special dates, she chose wines that represented "us"...a wine from NJ (where I'm from)....a wine from Greece (where we went on our honeymoon)...a wine from Germany (my DH's heritage). You get the idea.

Funny story about this.  My husband wanted to drink the wine for "our first fight"...so he purposely picked a fight with me so he could open it!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards