Louisiana-Baton Rouge
Options

Wedding Reviews 9 months later!

We got married October 16, 2010 but I didn't immediately review my vendors. Better late than never, I suppose :)

Ceremony and Reception - Forrest Grove Plantation
The staff here was very kind and accomodating and always got back to me in a short amount of time when I left a message. This venue was more than enough space for our 130 guests and the outdoor ceremony area was nice.  The downside was that it seemed like nothing was done to combat the mosquitoes swarming outside but we managed (my mom had to spray yard guard before the ceremony - yes the MOB had to spray bug spray just before her daughter's wedding.)  They do not have an outdoor speaker system so the preacher had to shout. However, once we were inside, the reception area was decorated exactly as I had requested. Probably the nicest thing about Forrest Grove is that the food is exceedingly delicious. I know that this is a key point for many brides.  The food set-up was crowded onto a couple of tables when there were multiple unused tables for no apparent reason.
Price: I have read that this venue is "great for brides on a budget", but their prices are actually pretty average for the area. We paid 50 dollars (with open bar) per person plus chocolate fountain plus champagne fountain, etc.

Ceremony Musicians - Pan String
If you don't already have someone booked to play for your ceremony, book these people! Everyone said they made the ceremony a thousand times classier. I think they were only $400 so they are definitely a bargain! 

Reception Band - Stormy
It goes without saying that this is the most professional local band available (dressed in tuxes, HUGE song selection) for weddings and yes, they are pricey but SO worth it. I think you can decide not to have the horn section if they are out of your price range. This band was easily what I got the most compliments on.

Photographer - Carley Mac Photography
Carley is based out of Lafayette but will travel to your wedding.  I definitely feel like I got unique engagement and bridal pictures that are nothing like I usually see. Carley had a lot of ideas and I was given the cds of my images as well as the right to print as many as I like, wherever I choose to print them.

Gown and Bridesmaid Dresses - The Bridal Boutique
I doubt I am going to say here what most Baton Rouge brides don't already know - moderately priced gowns sold by snobby salespeople.  My bridal consultant, Allison was AWESOME, but my interactions with almost everyone else was less than ideal. My price range was 2,000 and the gown had to be 100% silk but Allison was still able to pull about a dozen gowns.  My four bridesmaids also got their silk Lazaro gowns here. 
(The MOB dress and my gown alterations were done at Gabrielle's Bridal and I recommend them a thousand times over The Bridal Boutique.)

Cakes - Gambino's
I had a 3-tier square cake with a monogram and it was SO delicious. My husband's grooms cake was a bass fish and he loved it.  Their cakes are much better than what I tasted at Ambrosia and I always feel responsible to tell anyone who is engaged this: For the EXACT SAME two cakes - as in the same pictures brought to both vendors - I was quoted $900 at Ambrosia and $400 at Gambino's.

Flowers - Hunt's
Tim did a great job of providing tons of white calla lilies for myself, the bridal party and the reception decorations. He also convinced me to go for larger arrangements on the table which he was completely right about. The only drawback was that we were short a bouquet but my MOH just used my tossing bouquet to come down the aisle. 

My hair and make-up were done by Jacky Nieto and I was very happy with them but she will shortly be moving to Texas :(
Photobucket

Re: Wedding Reviews 9 months later!

• Options
    lboatnerscottlboatnerscott member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the great info.  We were originally supposed to get married 8/6/2011 but have changed our date to 6/9/2012.  So of course we have some deposits out already.  We were going to go with Ambrosia but from you and a few other people's reviews I might be williing to lose $75 to help save about $300 and go with Gambinos.  I didn't even book a consultation with them because I was told that Ambrosia was the best.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards