Louisiana-New Orleans
Options

Florist Recommendation

Can anybody please recommend a florist to me? I have a quote from Christina O'Malley, but I want to get a couple more quotes and see some other peoples work before I commit. I am from New Orleans,but live out of town for the last few months so I have to be able to call/e-mail with them until I can come in town and meet. Thanks!!

Re: Florist Recommendation

• Options
    I am in the same boat..planning a wedding from a few hours away with only the ability to call/email. I have gotten quotes from Erin Steen, Nola Flora, Bella Blooms, Beth's Flowers, and Escapes Flowers. The biggest bang for my buck is Beth's flowers. They are doing what I want and keeping it cost efficient. I haven't booked anyone yet, but i'm pretty sure that's who i'm going with.
  • Options
    --Beth's flowers quote was actually $600 lower than Christina O'Malley!
  • Options
    mcahil1mcahil1 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited September 2012
    Wow really?! Thank you! I will call Beth's tomorrow! Is she ok with emailing and phone communication until we can meet with her? I wasn't overly Impressed with the pictures Christina O'Malley sent me, but I did love her ideas for our bouquets
  • Options
    I emailed first and she insisted I set up a phone consultation. The only thing I didn't like was that she was unflexible about when we could do the consultation being that I work business hours during the day and don't have time to step out for 30 minutes. She is perfectly fine with email and phone! I kind of felt the same...I have distinct taste so I was happy when Beth's quote was way lower than Christina O'malley! Beth's will tell you to fill out the registry online so you might want to do that first! Also, i'm not sure if this has anything to do with it but I gave Beth's a budget to stick within and I didn't give Christina a budget at all because I figured she wouldn't have been as high as she actually was! Hope this helps :):)
  • Options
    Beth's will stay within budget if you give her one.  She has lots of good ideas but our personalities didn't mesh well. She's been in the business for a long time so she knows what is attainable and within your budget.  I just felt like if it wasn't possible she'd just tell me "no" rather than suggesting a similar or better alternative.

I've met with Meade Wenzel once after speaking with her on the phone.  She doesn't own a computer or email so it's offputting to many OOT brides.  However, don't let that deter you if you're able to come to town.  I felt like a huge weight was lifted off my shoulders after meeting Meade.  She is thoughful and creative and will work with what you have, especially if you tell her your budget.  I snail mailed her pictures and magazine cut outs and she was able to see what I wanted.  Her quotes were equal to or lower than Beth's.
  • Options
    It does! Thank you so much! I will fill it out when I get home from work in a little while. I didn't give Christina a budget either, maybe I will give Beth's one like you did and see how her prices are. I am excited about talking to her now. This is my last big thing to book!
  • Options
    I want went with Meade Wenzel. She is old school in the sense that she doesn't use the internet but she's very dedicated (and talented) when it comes to creating bouquets and centerpieces that meet a bride's vision. I wanted flowers that were technically out of season and she was the only florist who said she would try to find them...and if she couldn't she would create a bouquet that had the same "feel" as the flowers I wanted. She was also reasonably priced. Good luck and let us know how it turns out. :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Thank you! How would I get in touch with her for a quote? I haven't seen her information on theknot anywhere.
  • Options
    I love Meade Wenzel.  She did a fantastic job on my florals for a great price.  One of the weddings she recently did is featured in the latest issue of Martha Stewart weddings.  If you do a search, you can find her number listed on here.
  • Options
    FWIW, as far as budgets are concerned, Christina O'Malley will work with whatever budget you give her and if you think she was too high tell her so and she will help you figure out how to get what you want within your budget. I gave her a ballpark budget to begin with and at the end of the day I was a few hundred dollars over that, but that was my own doing by keeping as many large floral centerpieces. But if you aren't thrilled with the pictures she sent you, that's another story.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    mcahil1mcahil1 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited September 2012
    chikinfingaz- mailing her my pictures is a great idea! Maybe she can meet with me when I am in town for a couple days next month
     Louisianablue- am going to search for the pictures in Martha Stewart right now. I'm glad you told me that!
     I will have to call Meade tomorrow and just see how the ideas and prices of her and Beth's compare. I appreciate all of the help! This board makes some things easier!
  • Options
    NolaBride2012NolaBride2012 member
    First Comment
    edited September 2012
    I actually met with all three of the florists being discussed (Meade, Christina, and Beth)

All three of them were (eventually) able to give me what I wanted within my budget.My personal experience is that if you set a budget, they will meet it. Personally, I agree with the personality mix-match with Beth's, was equally unnerved by Meade's lack of email communication, (though she was such a nice lady) so I went with Christina.

That being said, as a very budget-concious bride, I believe there is kind of a misnomer out there about finding a "budget florist". Yes, there are people who charge less overhead, are able to get things for less, and know tricks of how to swap less-expensive flowers for ther similar counterparts. However, if you are having a big wedding (especially with a large bridal party) and want centerpieces on every table, flowers are going to be a big chunk of your budget. Period. I'm not trying to sound like a debby-downer, but this was something I had to come to terms with mid-way through wedding planning and just wanted to pass on that piece of wisdom to help you with the planning ahead. 

Good luck! I honestly believe that my wedding would have been beautiful regardless of who I went with. Schedule and personal preferences simply dictated my choice
  • Options
    I'm using Meade and LOVE her.  I am 100% confident that she will do a beautiful job.  I gave her a set budget and she said she can give me everything at or below the number I gave her.  I actually have my bridals tomorrow, so I'll get a sneak peek at my bouquet!
  • Options
    FYI Christina O'Malley's quote came in higher than Kim Star Wise's. 
  • Options
    At first I tried Christina O'Malley but I ended up going with Meade.  Meade's lack of email didn't turn me off because Christina O'Malley's response time to e-mail was so slow it wasn't any better than dealing with snail mail.  And I agree with the person who said as long as you want flowers on your tables, it's going to cost something.  I haven't found price to be the big difference between florists, more about who is willing to suggest and use lower cost  flowers here and there.
  • Options
    I am pretty sure I am going with Beth's! I spoke with Sue on the phone today and the pictures she sent me were just want I wanted. She hit the nail on the head as far as what I had in mind, and gave me some incredible suggestions when I was unsure about what I wanted for the reception that I am thrilled with. I am not going with Christina becuase I really was not impressed with the pictures she send me. I think Beth's is more in line to what I am looking for. Thank you all so much for all your input!
  • Options
    I am also an OOT bride, and am using Bella Blooms...I went in with a budget, and Dee, the owner, gave me tons of options. I wanted pomanders on the aisle, and at $65. each i had to squash that immediately! She gave me another option of using these crystal balls with flowers on them and candles inside 1/3 of the cost...We cut out a number of bigger table arrangements, and still doing something on each table, but simple. I didn't feel one bit like I was settling, and her designs are ALL flowers...none of the greenery/filler stuff!! You can see her work on website, and FB. She has been super easy to work with, and responds to emails promptly...Good luck!
  • Options
    Please call Joie de Vivre! The owner there Hilarie is so amazing and they ONLY do event florals so you are not competing for attention of them running a shop. Hilarie was absolutely the most amazing vendor I ever worked with and gave me EVERYTHING I really wanted within our budget. Moss, magnolia leaves, orchids, mint julep cups....everthing came together beautifully! I live OOT too and she was amazing with email....even when she was vacationing in another country!!!

Hilarie E. Pengelly

Joie de Vivre

504 231 3228

http://www.joiedevivrefloral.com

http://blog.joiedevivrefloral.com/

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards