Registry and Gift Forum
Options

Registry after House

Hi,
Im in need of some direction and advice. My fiance and I have already purchased a house and had a house warming party earlier this year. We received a lot of gifts that were perfect for our new place. I did register for that party. Now our wedding is at the end of this year (December). And I'm not sure what to register for. We each had a place of our own before hand and then when we combined we found ourselves getting rid of all of our duplicates. There is a few house things we need but not much. What else is appropriate to register for? I know its not typical, but I dont want any more duplicates of stuff I just got rid of or just got from our house warming party. Thoughts??

Re: Registry after House

• Options
    Upgrades of what you have. Everyone always needs more towels and sheets. Do you have a matching set of dinnerware? Different types of glasses (wine, water, beer, martini, margarita, etc)?
  • Options
    I have almost two full linen closets. I dont need more towels or sheets. Thats part of the issue. I just got new towels for my house warming party as well as 3 different styles of glass sets. I dont have martini glasses, but neither of us are big alcohol drinkers and dont drink martini's. I will be registering for a new vacuum for sure though.
  • Options
    In your situation, I think holiday dishes would be really nice if you don't already have them.  Since you're getting married in December, people will be in a festive mood, and that's one of those little splurges that most people don't do on their own.  

I know my mother has at least 4 sets of dishes - formal china, casual china, christmas china, and everyday.  That is probably overkill for some (most?) people, but I wouldn't think twice about buying you some holiday things to use together.  I'm not getting married until next April, but I plan on adding some holiday accent plates that coordinate with my china in the hopes that somebody will buy us a couple of them for Christmas.

Also check the state of your appliances - see if your food processor is getting dulled (or if you don't have one, get one - they're amazing) or if your toaster is the wrong color for your new kitchen.  You can also register for new kitchen linens, rugs, mirrors, etc.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Oh the other thing - even if you don't drink martinis, you may have guests that do someday.  FI and I aren't big martini drinkers, but we're registering for a set of 4 glasses in order to entertain, along with a nice cocktail shaker.  He and I (and our friends) are more margarita people so we registered for more margarita glasses than martini glasses.  Another thing to think about is beer glasses - like wine, beer is supposed to be drunk out of certain shaped glasses.  FI's father grew up in Belgium, and I know he gets really irritated when restaurants don't have beer goblets - he usually makes them put the beer in a wine glass so that it tastes right to him.  FI and I are registering for 4 beer goblets for when his family visits.  So yeah, think about things you can use to entertain other people who come over, even if it's not something you'd use day to day.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Just off the top of my head:

Steam Cleaner
    Vaccuum
    Appetizer/Dessert Plates and serveware
    Seasonal items (just register closer to your wedding)
    Grill
    Small furniture pieces
    Artwork
    Vases
    Cookbooks
    Nice speaker system
    Board games
    sports/camping equipment
    Figurines
    Fondue Pot
    Crock Pot
    Food Processor
    Stand Mixer
    Bread Machine
    Crystal
    China
    Silverware
    Table Linens
    Cameras
    GPS
    Shelving/Organizational items
    DIY Project materials (you could do amazon or a central registry)

*phew!*
    Follow Me (and my wedding!) on Pinterest
    50 in 2012 Reading Challenge: 2 books read
    my read shelf:

Katie Rizzo's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    One option is to register for regular stuff that people are comfortable buying (dishes, pans, etc.) and then to return all of it for store credit (which you can then spend on vacuum, or whatever, or just save until you need to buy something).  

I just returned $1300 worth of stuff to Williams-Sonoma.  We're using it to buy some of the larger items on our registry (with our completion discount).  I could also spend that credit at any of their stores - WS, Pottery Barn, etc.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_registry-after-house?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:e60cc31f-61c5-4d04-8a80-5d48275f4ad1Post:7332f57f-8758-4253-91ab-d41d8b7558e9">Re: Registry after House</a>:
    [QUOTE]One option is to register for regular stuff that people are comfortable buying (dishes, pans, etc.) and then to return all of it for store credit (which you can then spend on vacuum, or whatever, or just save until you need to buy something).   I just returned $1300 worth of stuff to Williams-Sonoma.  We're using it to buy some of the larger items on our registry (with our completion discount).  I could also spend that credit at any of their stores - WS, Pottery Barn, etc.
    Posted by racholas[/QUOTE]

<div>Classy.  No, wait, registry laundering is tacky as hell.</div>
  • Options
    I still can't get past the line that you registered for a houeswarming.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for the tips. I appreciate it. It has been really helpful. 

We did registered for our housewarming party because so many people kept asking us what we wanted for our first house together and they were adament about bringing something that we actually would use. A close friend sent out a notice and then our parents told others. I didnt care about registering or anything but it became annoying to keep telling people we didnt want them to bring anything, when I knew they would show up with something anyway.  Its not unheard of. And it was great because i didnt get stuck with 25 bottles of wine I wont drink and 50 different prepared cheeseballs that would go bad in a day.  
  • Options
    I love the idea of registering for christmas stuff as my fiance loves to decorate for the holiday. I'm glad it was suggested to register for a grill, and appliances and cameras and stuff. I wasnt sure about those things.

Thanks again ladies. Really appreciate it. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards