Rhode Island

Affordable/ Unique Reception Venues

Hi everyone! I am currentlysearching for a unique/different wedding reception venue in RI or nearby MA for 250 people in Sept/Oct 2013. My budget for the reception venue/food is $25k max and I am open to a place that requires catering because I can get a discount through my work. I am also wondering if there are places that are seemingly expensive but that will negotiate significantly. I don't want to do a Friday or Sunday wedding but I am open to April/November at a unique indoor location in order to save money. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!!

Re: Affordable/ Unique Reception Venues

• Hello and congrats! Here are a few venues that fit your criteria in regards to the number of guests attending, competitive rental rates, and the "unique" factor. Most of these venues do require outside catering and additional rentals.

Hope Artiste Village, R.I
    - Loft space, blank canvas
    - Modern

Slater Mill, R.I
    - Historical setting
    - lots of character 

Global Heritage Hall, R.I
    - Gorgeous views, Modern venue
    - Tented wedding

Herreshoff Maine Museum, R.I
    - Nautica setting
    - Beautiful outdoor tented set up

Five Bridge Inn, MA
    - B&B 
    - Llama on the grounds (maybe more odd than unique)
    - tented wedding

Atlantic Beach Club, R.I (includes catering services)
    - not exactly unique but still a beautiful venue with great food

Most venues that accommodate 250 or more are hotels or banquet halls like The Rhode Island Convention Center. They may not be unique but may be more of an affordable option. There are more venue options with a max capacity of 200 guests like Roger William Botanical Gardens and The Regatta Place, Chamberlain Farm. The Regatta Place and Chamberlain Farm includes catering services too. Other things to consider is what the venue offers like tables, chairs, ect. Those things can add up if you need to rent them.

The cost of catering will be significant with 250 people so some caterers to consider are Tom's Market Catering, B & M Clambake and Catering, Atomic Catering, Emery's Catering, and Blackstone.

Since you are not considering a wedding day other than Saturday. You can certainly cut cost in other areas by offering a limited open bar (beer and wine only) or limit the hours of an open bar (cocktail only). Some venues will also allow you to bring in your own alcohol which will include significantly savings. I went this route and saved thousands for the 200 guests I have at my wedding.

Consider a buffet rather than a plated dinner - just ensure ways lines won't be too long. Also a cocktail reception is another idea where guests are served heavy apps and include food stations that are self serve. A family style dinner combines a plated dinner and buffet together - no lines and less expensive than a per person plate. 

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions. Sorry for the lengthy post.
  • our reception is at atlantic beach club - great venue and the food is great.
    they have been very accomodating with our needs and wants.
    my MOH got engaged in april and just booked the five bridge inn. seems very nice also.
    another venue that I thought of for you with the guest count in particular, not really unique, but it's quidnessett country club in north kingstown. they could easily have a big group of that size. it's very affordable and good food as well. also good place for pictures.
    good luck! once you get the venue down - it's a big weight off your shoulders!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards