October 2012 Weddings
Options

QOTD 11/26

DH and I were talking about whether we were going to send our kids to public school or private school.  What are you guys thinking?
Anniversary imagemy read shelf:
Cathy (CathyL7910)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

Re: QOTD 11/26

• Options
    I would do public.  I knew a few kids that went to private school.  I really don't believe in the fact they don't (or didn't) teach kids about birth control.  Also, from what I've heard, a lot of kids that get expelled from public school end up in private schools.  All I know about it is second hand though.  I'd be interested to hear from someone that had a positive private school experience.
    Anniversary wedding-1 my read shelf:
    Heidi's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    islandmonkey8islandmonkey8 member
    First Comment
    edited November 2012
    Our plan is public school. One of the many reasons school district has been so important in our house search!

I went to private school for 13 years (catholic too). I learned about birth control and all that stuff, but I don't know if that's because I had liberal teachers.

Two reasons we're not thinking private school for our kids:
        1. H doesn't like Catholic schools, as he isn't Catholic so that rules out most private schools near us.
        2. Taxes in NJ are high enough to pay our public school costs, can't AFFORD private school for our kids!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I went to private school but it was a Christian school (there;s actually a big difference between my type of school and non religious private schools).

I want our kids to go to a non religious private school because i believe they teach better and the kids learn more.  my husband wants public school because it's free and he went there.  i guess we will see if we can affford private when the time comes
  • Options
    I suppose really, it depends on where we're living, what our money situation is, etc. But in theory, I went through public schools and would hope my kids could as well, too.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Where we live, most of the public schools outrank the private ones.  DH and I graduated from one of the top public schools in the area, and I'm pretty sure it is up there in the state as well.  We are looking for a home in the area we lived in growing up, so our kids would be in that district and that is absolutely fine with us.  

Plus, I'm Catholic and we will raise our kids that way, but DH isn't.  I cannot imagine sending our kids to Catholic school with DH being Jewish.  I think it would be weird.
  • Options
    I would like to send our kids to public school. H went to Catholic school, which in Ontario is also a public school. He says there wasn't anything "wrong" with it, it's just slightly different than the school I went to. I personally, am not a fan of any school that refuses to teach birth control or jams religion down their throats. 

I was a pretty mild teenager, but even still I often had a "I'm going to do what you tell me not to do" attitude and I just don't feel that catholic school meshes well with that. 
    Anniversary
  • Options
    IryshcreemIryshcreem member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited November 2012
    My kids will go to public school for the simple reason that I know we will never be able to afford a Catholic school in our area.  As Islandmonkey stated above, the taxes can be obscene around here.  You might as well get what you are paying for.  If we could afford it, I would send them to catholic school for Kindergarten.  Around here, they only offer half days.  I think they should go 5 days a week for the full day.

I went to Catholic school K-12.  We learned about birth control and stuff like that starting in 5th grade.  Catholic school nowadays is not like it was when my parents were growing up - at least not around here.  I can't speak for the more conservative states.

Seipel, to address your comment about a lot of public school kids that were kicked out ending up in private schools.  I saw it happen all the time.  They didn't last very long in our school either.  Overall, I had a very positive experience in Catholic school.  As far as the "religion being jammed down your throat" thing, most kids learn to think for themselves at some point.  I went through 13 years of it and I don't agree with most things the church says and I didn't then.  I feel I have every right to criticize the education because I went through it but it really annoys me when I hear people who never went a day in their life criticize it.  

Achiduck, I'm a little confused by your comment "I was a pretty mild teenager, but even still I often had a "I'm going to do what you tell me not to do" attitude and I just don't feel that catholic school meshes well with that."   Do you think catholic school kids don't feel that way too?  I know I did.  Everyone acts out at that age, not just kids that go to public school.

ETA: I don't usually throw my opinions out there too much on here but for whatever reason, this got under my skin today.  I didn't mean to single anyone out.  I'm PMSing and guess I just felt like letting it all out.

photo a30c432e-0cf0-41d0-b1f3-bf4836bea2fc_zps89190598.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    WE will send our kids to public school in ENGLISH but in FRENCH IMMERSION..
    there is this law in Quebec that you are not allowed to attend ENGLISH school (your children that is) unless You as a parent yourself attended english school... if you do not have proof then you automatically go into the french system, if you immigrated to Quebec, you automatically go into the french system...

Even though DH is french... by enrolling our future children in English school it there for gives them the oppertunity to send THEIR children to English school in the future should they so choose...

My 12 1/2 year old attends English public school (in English) His old school merged with another english school and he was forced into french immersion poor child did not know what was going on!... We moved that year (here with DH) and I enrolled him into an school out here... (made sure he was IN ENGLISH) and his grades went up... from failing at 50 barely 60... up to getting 70's even 80's!

I have no problem with french, I speak both languages, DH does as well (although he is more french) Ds doesn't unfortunatly... but his father doesn't either ... he is learning little by little though..

I was in the public system till half way through grade 7 when my mom pulled me and homeschooled me... so I did homeschooling for 2 years...with the Canadian Christian Academy... which was fun in a way but I missed the social interaction... I went back in Grade 9... and yes my grades did suffer a little... but I did much better in the sense that I had SOCIAL INTERACTION and made friends etc... wasn't just my brother and I lol

ok wow that was long SORRY Lol!!!
    have a great day ladies!
  • Options
    H and I decided we'll send our kids to French Catholic elementary school and then English catholic high school. In the province, Catholic schools provide a far better education, because they get more government money. The French foundation is good, even if the kids hardly use French, they'll at least know enough to get by.
    October 2012 December Siggy: Favourite Wedding Picture
    PIC_281copy1 Anniversary
  • Options
    H and I both went to public schools so our future kids will too
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Our kids will go to public school.  The thought of sending them to private school has never even entered my thoughts as I don't know anyone who has gone to private school. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I went to a Catholic private school K-8 and then public school for high school. Even though I went to a Catholic school, my teachers were all very liberal. I didn't learn any of the crazy strict Catholic teachings (no birth control etc), I mostly learned to be a good person. The private school was very advanced, and when I got to high school I was at least 1-2 grade levels ahead.

DH doesn't like the idea of private schools (he went to public school k-12), but I had a very positive experience. Hopefully, we'll live in an area with good public schools and it won't be an issue. Regardless, I know that I'll be supplementing what our kids learn in school with lessons at home in what DH and I think is important to their education. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Public school. I just think that paying for school is crazy! The schools down here have higher level programs that are great and almost a guarantee into any college.

weddingpic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards