Favors

Do we need to have favors?

I've been thinking and thinking about what to give as favors.... OR to give them at all. I've been told, most people don't really care- and usually forget them anyway. Do you think its necessary?

Re: Do we need to have favors?

• edited December 2011
    Nope - no need at all
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • LMB311LMB311 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think it's a nice touch, even if you just put out a basket of Hershey's Hugs and Kisses with a sign in front that says "Thanks for being here for our special day! Hugs and Kisses, the happy couple." To me, favors say thanks for being here.  If people choose not to take them, then so be it...at least you made an effort.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • mysticlmysticl member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    The last wedding I went to didn't have them.  That fact didn't even register with me until I started planning my own wedding.........over a year later.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • alyssalowealyssalowe member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I can not find anything I think everyone would like and the fact that Christmas is two weeks later Im thinking Im not going to do favors and instead save the money and put it towards including a picture of the person enjoying their date or the wedding or us (if we didnt get any of them) in the Thank you.
  • trix1223trix1223 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Nope.  Not needed.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Belle2BeBelle2Be member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think they are needed, its a way to show your guests your appreciation for showing up to support you.
    It doesn't have to be much, the last wedding I went to had a small bag of chocolate covered pretzels, they were great!
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_favors_need-favors?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:27Discussion:16801f5b-2d54-47ab-a10e-69c409d09c42Post:64afc5a1-b36d-441c-8872-afd7a7102fee">Re: Do we need to have favors?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think they are needed, <strong>its a way to show your guests your appreciation for showing up to support you.</strong> It doesn't have to be much, the last wedding I went to had a small bag of chocolate covered pretzels, they were great!
    Posted by Belle2Be[/QUOTE]

The free dinner, drinks, and entertainment don't give enough of a thank you to your guests?
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • CA2MT4EveRCA2MT4EveR member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't think they are necessary. I think it has to do with the couple and what they like, but if you don't want to give them, you don't have to.  I also agree with Trix
    dont make ur password so easy. gbck2CA2 hahahaha
  • Belle2BeBelle2Be member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_favors_need-favors?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:27Discussion:16801f5b-2d54-47ab-a10e-69c409d09c42Post:ddab8d21-a99b-447f-8aeb-b5fbc81a0b53">Re: Do we need to have favors?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Do we need to have favors? : The free dinner, drinks, and entertainment don't give enough of a thank you to your guests?
    Posted by trix1223[/QUOTE]
    I don't know :) Maybe its just a tradition I'm not ready to let go?
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_favors_need-favors?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:27Discussion:16801f5b-2d54-47ab-a10e-69c409d09c42Post:ddab8d21-a99b-447f-8aeb-b5fbc81a0b53">Re: Do we need to have favors?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Do we need to have favors? : The free dinner, drinks, and entertainment don't give enough of a thank you to your guests?
    Posted by trix1223[/QUOTE]

Ditto
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    I've been wondering the same thing... seems like a waste of money, though certainly, a nice touch. I agree, free food, drinks, and entertainment seems like enough! :) 
  • CA2MT4EveRCA2MT4EveR member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_favors_need-favors?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:27Discussion:16801f5b-2d54-47ab-a10e-69c409d09c42Post:f2dee7d2-b354-430a-8174-9f293dd1fc6b">Re: Do we need to have favors?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Do we need to have favors? : I don't know :) Maybe its just a tradition I'm not ready to let go?
    Posted by Belle2Be[/QUOTE]

I honestly don't think it's much of a tradition.  Ask your mom and your grandma what they gave as favors.
    dont make ur password so easy. gbck2CA2 hahahaha
  • edited December 2011
    A favor or gift to the wedding party or special relative is a token of your appreciation.  Everyone going to an event especially a wedding, should get something to take home to remind them of your special day.  There are a lot of ways to give a favor that can be inexpensive.  If you are in RI, please visit our showroom in Cranston.  We would be glad to sit down with you to show you how cost effective they can be.  Best of luck to you both!
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_favors_need-favors?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:27Discussion:16801f5b-2d54-47ab-a10e-69c409d09c42Post:bfdc7633-70e7-42d4-b17f-013fb2d45dc5">Re: Do we need to have favors?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Do we need to have favors? : I honestly don't think it's much of a tradition.  Ask your mom and your grandma what they gave as favors.
    Posted by CA2MT4EveR[/QUOTE]

32 years ago, we gave matchbooks.  I still have one of them.  I wonder if the matches would still work?  =)
  • tricia619tricia619 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think it just depends on what you think, I am having favors as a way of expressing my thanks, and to show a little bit of who we are as a couple.

[url=http://<a href="http://www.theknot.com/?utm_source=ticker&utm_medium=UBB&utm_campaign=tickers" rel="nofollow">www.theknot.com/?utm_source=ticker&utm_medium=UBB&utm_campaign=tickers</a>][img]<a href="http://global.theknot.com/tickers/tt9d060.aspx" rel="nofollow">http://global.theknot.com/tickers/tt9d060.aspx</a>[/img][/url]
    Trish and Adam 10-09-10 Wedding Countdown Ticker image 78 Invited so far!
    image 66 Are ready to party!
    image 11 Will be missing out!
    image 1 What are you doing already!
  • carolinagal78carolinagal78 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I personally like the favor idea. I'm getting married at the beach which is a 2hr drive from where we live so I think its nice to show appreciation. Your guests are also taking out of their time to go to your wedding. I'm sure they're not going because they want free food and drinks. I go to wedding because I care about the people and its nice to leave with a lil something to remember their special day. Just a thought :)
    image 114 Made the cut!
    image 84 Are ready to celebrate! image 20 Are missing out! image 10 Don't understand RSVP?!
  • edited December 2011
    Most people forget the favors and I recently attending a wedding that didn't give favors.

Instead of giving favors, you should donate money to an organization.  Something that means something to you and your husband.  One wedding donated money to the Cancer Associate (offical name is out of my mind right now)  and they noted on their programs that a donation was made in the name of the wedding guests.

With this info, we decided to make a donation to either the rescue league where we got our dog or the ASPCA.  It's our way of including our puppy in our wedding because he is such an important part of our lives.  And we are going to give our guests a small dog bone shaped cookie with a thank note letting them know about the donation in their name.
  • edited December 2011
    As a guest I seriously don't care about favors, and don't think any less of the bride and groom if they aren't offered. Turns out I am going to provide "favors" only because it came naturally...We're getting married at the beach, so flip flops make sense for the sand. Also, it will likely be cool at night, so I also have pashmina wraps for the gals at night. But, I would not have given favors just because I felt I had to. These items seem like they are needed for the guests to have the best time they can.
  • edited December 2011

I can see where the PP are coming from but I definitely think that favors (even just a little something is necessary)

It is another way to show your appreciation, yes even on top of the dinner, entertainment and "dancing" ...

it's a momento... it's something that if you're guests DO take.. which they will if it's provided for them.. can take with them to remember the night!  Some favors can range from bags of chocolate (candy-bar) to elaborate favors as bottles of wine with custom labels!

Happy Planning!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • jmbdwjmbdw member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Where did you order your pashminas from? I am trying to find a wholesaler online, but I'm not sure about quality.

Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards