Second Weddings
Options

NWR - Cocktails Anyone? (long)

When it rains it pours and so it goes... I think I may need a bridal shower or bacholette party and/or so on at least once a week until either my hair falls out or we're married or both.

So, we had a leak in our master bath...Turns out it's the tile so that now has moved up our remodel project to NOW!!! The builder who originally constructed the house was less than sub-par and inspector not any better.  I have lived and breathed construction both residential and commercial since I was in grade school.  My FI's house should have NEVER passed inspection. The only water/mold resistant drywall in the master bath is 1/4" thick and covered with a thin coating of thin-set and tiled over (not legal in 1991) the 1986 UBC's (United Building Code) which was enforce in 1991 expressly states that all wet walls (those having plumbing or exposed to water) shall be water/mold resistant drywall 1/2" or better (at that time it was green board). There isn't any other than under one part of the tiled area which should have had Hardy panel (thin concrete panels) over frog skin (thin water resistant breathable plastic) over green board. Remodel time moved up because right now we cannot use the master bath...

Oh and the plywood soffit  (that is the covering on any over hang at your home) should have been at least 1/2" plywood is 1/4" or less... so that has to be replaced. Along with all the insulation... I tell you I want to throttle the building inspector that did the "drive by" inspection and the builders who decided to go "cheap" on this house.

It's only money.... "Of course my FI is made of the stuff"  - NOT!!!  I need a JOB unfortunately my industry is dead and I think that the banks tagged it DNR (Do Not Resuscitate). 

College looming...house repairs needed immediately... and a wedding!  (yes we could elope but that isn't what either of us want and we're too far into planning to stop now) 

Yes, welcome to the funny farm where life is great hahahohoheehee they're coming to take me away... 

I think my Zen moment may just be a bottle of  Zin...or  a good martini... Tomorrow I will have figured out a way to handle all this and more too... because I am resilient and resourceful if nothing else.

Re: NWR - Cocktails Anyone? (long)

• Options
    Sue-n-KevinSue-n-Kevin member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Angie, so sorry to hear you are dealing with this on top of everything else. Right now the only savings account I have (besides my 401K which is totally hands off) is my wedding one. I cross my fingers daily that nothing major happens. We are making due with a clothes dryer that is 23 y/o, takes 3 cycles to dry, the washer is 23 y/o (got both when my son was born), a fridge that is at least 18 years old, the dishwasher leaks onto the floor in front of it, so towels are there.

But damn it, I will have a FANTABULOUS wedding, LMAO.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Sorry to hear about the house issues.  You have had so much to deal with already.  You are correct that you are resilient and resourceful, but that still doesn't make it any nicer to deal with.

Retreadbride seemed to have some good ideas.

All of our appliances have one foot in the grave.  A month or so ago the dryer started making a funny noise.  I just hope they all last until after the wedding.  I can handle it then, just not now!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    130image Invited to dance the night away!
    92image Want to show their best moves!
    38image Have two left feet and won't be dancing!
    0image Are too embarrased to say they don't dance!

• Options
    handfast4mehandfast4me member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh my.  I think the only thing that saved my sanity when I replaced my bathroom in my very old, antique, craftsman was that my DH (then FI) did the entire job himself.  He had been working for a renovation company (Company is sort of an exageration--it was like 2 guys, one a licensed contractor) at the time, between being medically discharged from the service for a service-connected injury, and his current gov't job as a graphic designer.  So, he did everything for me.   It was my only bathroom in the house, so we sort of lived at his apartment for a few days while the tile set, etc.   I do not recall those days with fondness. 

I'll be thinking good thoughts.  Do you have a Floor & Decor near you? They sell tile, etc. at discount, mostly discontinued things, but if it's a small space, they usually have enough to cover you so it will all match.  Good luck!
    image Don't mess with the old dogs; age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! BS and brilliance only come with age and experience.
  • Options
    handfast4mehandfast4me member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh, and I'll have a single malt scotch to accompany your wine.  Talisker is preferred, thank you.  :-)
    image Don't mess with the old dogs; age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! BS and brilliance only come with age and experience.
  • Options
    Lisa50Lisa50 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My zen moment of the day was ironing.  On the surface, this may seem unrelated.  But it is.  Ironing helped soothe me through thoughts of the drywall -- flood caused by leaking roof -- in my bedroom and kitchen that need repair before the birthday party (Jan 22).  That's not going to happen ... I have no extra money.

Maybe if I leave the Christmas tree up, no one will notice the damage to the walls. 

I promise I will visit you if you end up at the funny farm.  But only after I iron.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_second-weddings_nwr-cocktails-anyone-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:35Discussion:c33a6e15-0edf-4277-8fcd-0fe91ba4f95ePost:f5a6acf7-05eb-4509-a9c1-18b54ab9bd31">NWR - Cocktails Anyone? (long)</a>:
    [QUOTE]When it rains it pours and so it goes... I think I may need a bridal shower or bacholette party and/or so on at least once a week until either my hair falls out or we're married or both. So, we had a leak in our master bath...Turns out it's the tile so that now has moved up our remodel project to NOW!!! The builder who originally constructed the house was less than sub-par and inspector not any better.  I have lived and breathed construction both residential and commercial since I was in grade school.  My FI's house should have NEVER passed inspection. The only water/mold resistant drywall in the master bath is 1/4" thick and covered with a thin coating of thin-set and tiled over (not legal in 1991) the 1986 UBC's (United Building Code) which was enforce in 1991 expressly states that all wet walls (those having plumbing or exposed to water) shall be water/mold resistant drywall 1/2" or better (at that time it was green board). There isn't any other than under one part of the tiled area which should have had Hardy panel (thin concrete panels) over frog skin (thin water resistant breathable plastic) over green board. Remodel time moved up because right now we cannot use the master bath... Oh and the plywood soffit  (that is the covering on any over hang at your home) should have been at least 1/2" plywood is 1/4" or less... so that has to be replaced. Along with all the insulation... I tell you I want to throttle the building inspector that did the "drive by" inspection and the builders who decided to go "cheap" on this house. It's only money.... "Of course my FI is made of the stuff"  - NOT!!!  I need a JOB unfortunately my industry is dead and I think that the banks tagged it DNR (Do Not Resuscitate).  College looming...house repairs needed immediately... and a wedding!  (yes we could elope but that isn't what either of us want and we're too far into planning to stop now)  Yes, welcome to the funny farm where life is great hahahohoheehee they're coming to take me away...  I think my Zen moment may just be a bottle of  Zin...or  a good martini... Tomorrow I will have figured out a way to handle all this and more too... <strong>because I am resilient and resourceful if nothing else.
    </strong>Posted by MikesAngie[/QUOTE]

I am sorry to hear about this.  I feel the "when it rains, it pours" here, too.  I have to say that the part I put in bold really hit home.  I am those things too and needed a reminder.  Thanks.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hang in there! 

and I've got the first round - seems like we all could use a drink!  ;)
  • Options
    Lisa50Lisa50 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_second-weddings_nwr-cocktails-anyone-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:35Discussion:c33a6e15-0edf-4277-8fcd-0fe91ba4f95ePost:6c9a8633-4aee-4bee-ae42-6506e1644d29">Re: NWR - Cocktails Anyone? (long)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hang in there!  and I've got the first round - seems like we all could use a drink!  ;)
    Posted by shytownkelly[/QUOTE]

*clink*
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh sweetie, I feel for you and this too shall pass. Just Breathe.
    Bottle of zin sounds like it will help too and

@ LISA you crack me up!  
  • Options
    AbbeyS2011AbbeyS2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Lets meet in the middle - I have some margarita mixer left over from NYE and a blender - who has the ice and the salt?

I am breaking down this weekend and getting a new refrigerator, and that is only because my 7 yr old is having tonsils out and I need a freezer badly!  FI fixed his brother's friend's truck 3 months ago in exchange for the friend fixing our fridge and stove.  The stove took 5 minutes and he fixed it a month after the truck was done.  Still no refrigerator - we have been getting by with a teeny little dorm room one that his brother loaned us!  

Thankfully, we replaced the washer less than a year ago and it runs great.  FI scared me the other day - he was washing clothes and one of my old underwires decided to fall apart in the wash, and he thought the wire was somehow in the agitator.  I reached in, and found the wire jammed into one of the side holes - whew!  Then I got lectured about washing my bras, until I pointed out that I did not put it into the wash - he did LOL. 
    Anniversary
  • Options
    MikesAngieMikesAngie member
    Name Dropper 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We have salt, tequilla and a great blender!  I'm making homemade chili verde tonight, with cuban style black beans and rice.  My FBIL is coming over - yay!!

We are supposed to be having a contactor come take a look today... Or at least that was the plan as of yesterday.

Thank goodness most of our appliances are under 5 years old, or I am certain that they would be in concert with the house and choose now to die. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards