Minnesota-Minneapolis and St. Paul

Anyone NOT register at Target?

Hey Minnesota ladies! 

So get my registry started is on my “todo” list for next month. We’re doing a Destination Wedding so it’s going to be a small one and most everything on it is going to be cheap-ish. I have no intention of registering for china and “higher end” things like that, and I really only want to do one store.

I was planning on Target, since it seems like that’s where everyone I know registers, and there's so many in Minnesota. Reading the Registry and Gifts board yields a lot of posts about how awful their system is. Anyone NOT register at Target?  I feel almost obligated to since we’re from the land of Target and it seems like everyone does….is it really as bad as people say? Thanks for any feedback!

Re: Anyone NOT register at Target?

• edited March 2012
    We did not register at Target (our registries were at Williams-Sonoma and Bed Bath & Beyond). We both love to cook and appreciate high-quality kitchen items (All-Clad, Wusthof, etc.), so the WS registry was a no-brainer for us. The other registry was a toss up between Macy's and BBB for non-kitchen items and fine china. In the end, we chose BBB because there were more store locations and people could use 20% coupons.

I'm not really sure what you're asking here - advice on where to register? Choose a store that works best for the gifts YOU want (and also the convenience for your guests), not just because it's popular in MN or the registry world.
    Anniversary
  • edited March 2012
    Hmm...sort of! :)

I guess I'm just asking

1) For those that DIDNT register at Target, was it inconvinient at all? I'm trying to think of convinience for guests, and to be honest, I don't even know where a Bed Bath and Beyond is :(
    2) For those that did, was the registry system that bad?
  • I hate Target, so we did not register there. I've had several friends who did register there and had nothing but problems. Also their return policy is weird - after you return a certain amount, you can only get store credit.

We registered at Bed Bath and Beyond and Macys. BB&B has been the best so far. Easy to add/delete items, and our consultant was awesome. Also they have the most flexible return policy. I did most of the Macy's registry online, but so far that's been fine too.
  • I'm not registering at Target specifically for the reason you stated.  Their system is full of problems and their return policy is terrible.  We're going to do BBB cause I LOVE them and they have a great return policy and probably Sears so we can register for some "manly" things for FI.  :)

Just do a location search for BBB.  It looks like there's 8 locations around the metro area.

So In Love

Josh and Renata's Wedding

Planning Bio

• We only had a small error with the Target registry. We noticed that a baby blanket was added after we registered in the store. It wasn't a big deal and we deleted it. Overall, we're happy to be registered at Target.
  • We did not register at Target. I've also heard bad things about their system and especially their return policy. I felt obligated to register at Target for the low price point, but then I asked a friend who said she barely received anything off of their Target registry. We registered at Macy's and Crate and Barrel, both of which have a wide variety of price points, and shopping online is quick and easy!
  • jennipea382jennipea382 member
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited March 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_minnesota-minneapolis-st-paul_anyone-not-register-at-target?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:81Discussion:e279ae95-a180-4fcc-b4f5-a87ab45d3987Post:d813a2a5-11d2-402b-b7b0-99a57cada594">Re: Anyone NOT register at Target?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We only had a small error with the Target registry. We noticed that a baby blanket was added after we registered in the store. It wasn't a big deal and we deleted it. Overall, we're happy to be registered at Target.
    Posted by mbatzlaff[/QUOTE]

I've seen this happen quite often strangely enough. I'm pretty sure a few of my friends have had random baby items on their list. I usually assume they accidentally scanned it or something. Another friend actually did scan some yogurt and deodorant I think to "test" it and I think her FI was set for a couple years on deodorant.. haha. So I usually assume it's a joke or an accident.

Though I wouldn't put it past Target to throw some baby items on there since obviously that's what everyone does right away! *eyeroll*

ETA - Oh, I just thought of something else. If there are things left on the list, they offer a discount. That's why my friends put an Xbox on their list.. lol. Another thing I think of if there's something strange on there.

And I suppose I should stay on topic. I'll most likely be registering at Target. Mostly because of the convenience and price for my guests. It's pretty common for my friends to just head to Target and look up someone's registry without even knowing if they're registered there! I haven't heard of any major problems, just the random baby items added. Strange but not a HUGE problem IMO. I'd just make sure everyone knew I did NOT put that on the list and NO there is nothing I need to tell them ;-)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    March 2013 March siggy challenge - wedding preview
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Planning Bio
  • edited March 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_minnesota-minneapolis-st-paul_anyone-not-register-at-target?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:81Discussion:e279ae95-a180-4fcc-b4f5-a87ab45d3987Post:6f759c3a-ba0e-4369-8ac2-74e3eac3a6bd">Re: Anyone NOT register at Target?</a>:
    [QUOTE] ETA - Oh, I just thought of something else. If there are things left on the list, they offer a discount. That's why my friends put an Xbox on their list.. lol.
    Posted by jennipea382[/QUOTE]

Most registries offer a completion discount, not just Target.
    Anniversary
  • My fiance and I started a registry at Target and then deleted it after I found their online and in-store systems lacking -- plus I read a ton of negative reviews about registering there.  We went with BBB and Macy's for our registries.  I would highly recommend BBB - it is SO easy to use and they have a large range of price points. Plus they have a terrific return policy.
  • Thanks for all the feedback ladies!!!! I have a lot to think about!
  • We did not register at Target, mainly because that's where we shop ALL the time and we want to ask for things that we wouldn't normally buy for ourselves and that will last for a very long time.   Our registries are at Crate and Barrell, BBB, and Macy's.   Of all three, the registry at C&B is our favorite.  They have so many classy and modern items that are at a great value - that is where we registered for our china (just doing everyday), kitchen towels, knives, and other fun gadgets that wouldn't break anyone's bank.   BBB had the best value on appliances and bakeware, and we also found our flatware there as well.   Macy's is where we found our towels and sheets, although I did find a set at BBB called Eucalyptus that we liked as well that was not as pricy.    I think for what you mentioned - BBB would be the best place to start, but I highly recommend C&B!   Make a list of what items you need and scope the places out on price and quality before registering.  :)   Nobody expects to get everything on their registry, but the completion discount is offered at all the places I have gone. Have fun!!
  • We are in the process of finishing our registries at: Menards, Target, and WalMart.  We don't have Macy's, C&B, or BBB where we are so we chose stores that we know our families can get to! 

My friend had issues with her Target registry, but so far we have not (I'm going to check it regularly though because of the issues I've heard of).  Each time I go to the store to register, I make sure to print it off so I know exactly what is on there when I'm done! :)

I personally love Target, and because we do shop there often we put gift cards on our list (just in case).  We are mostly doing small registries though (with the exception being Menards), since we have lived together for 2 years and have most of the items that newlyweds register for! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I registered primarily with Target and Crate and Barrel. I went with Target for the convenience of my guests- there are a lot of Targets around. The only issues I had with their registry was that when they switched over to the new website format, it was sometimes hard to get into the registry. It was much better after a few weeks though.

Also- Target has gotten much better on their return policy. We had no problems returning items. 

Crate and Barrel was pretty good- I loved their stuff and they have all sorts of price points. 
  • I DID register at Target, and honestly have not had any trouble with them whatsoever. I have had one shower so far, and haven't had any trouble with exchanging things, even without a receipt. 
  • edited March 2012
    Target just updated their systems and everything is running a lot smoother now!

We registered at Target, Macy's, and Pampered Chef so we have been able to hit all the price points and haven't had any issues so far!
  • I do not think we will register at Target.  We just started a registery at Macy's yesterday and then we are considering Sears, Menards or Home Depot (if they have one).  And am now considering Crate and Barrel or Bed Bath and Beyond after reading this post:) 

• One more fun thing about C&B - they throw these amazing registry parties.  The whole store is shut down on a sunday morning just for engaged couples registering, so you don't have to try and register on a busy day where everyone is shopping and it's hard to get around them.  They also provided several treats and free gifts, and I got a free massage during the event.  I also liked the people working there because they were not overly pushy or trying to talk to us every 5 seconds.  Loved it.
  • We are registered at Target and have had no problems - and the Target App on the iPhone has been great for updating the registry (you can scan right from your phone - no need to even get a scannner.)  We've had many items purchased off of our registry and I'm sure it's because it's a convenient place for our guests to shop. 
  • Menards has a registry?!? Sweet! We're registered at BBB and thought we had to do Target. I think it would be a waste of time because we found everything we wanted at BBB.
    I'm checking Mendards out this weekend! LOVE IT!!
  • edited March 2012
    We did Target and Kohl's but also Williams-Sonoma and Pottery Barn.  WS and PB have some special offers where if you register for a certain product or dollar amount you get a free gift (even if no one buys anything from it!)  We got an 8inch Calphalon omelet pan just for putting like $500 worth of pots and pans on our list, All-Clad measuring cups for putting their pans, a Wusthoff scissors, heart shaped measuring spoons etc.  If people actually buy a certain amount then you get another gift as well!

We didn't have ANY problems at Target.  They give you a nice folder/packet that includes a $20 giftcard to shutterfly and a magazine with registry gift ideas.  Nothing crazy has been added to ours and we can change it online, in store, or on the iphone app.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards