New Jersey - South
Options

Flying To Hawaii

I going to Maui and Oahu for my honeymoon.  I need to book flights out of Philadelphia airport.  I've had problems with domestoc flights using US Airways.  I was going to book Delta, but from Philadelphia there's two stops and the price is $200 more per ticket than US Airways.  Has anyone had good experiences flying on US Airways to Hawaii?  Any advice knotties? 

Re: Flying To Hawaii

• Options
    kellyrose6kellyrose6 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I used them to fly to Hawaii twice, but had 2 lay overs though... other than that, no issues... but it was also 6 and 8 years ago...

Good Luck!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Popping in from the Nest! We went to the same islands for our HM and did really well with United--not sure how bad the pricing is now.  We had a layover in LA on the way to Oahu, and then San Fran on the way back from Maui.  The flights were fine and the layovers weren't too long but did give us a chance to grab food in between the flights.  GL!
    imageAnniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We are going to Hawaii for our HM as well flying into Oahu and leaving out of Maui.  We actually booked ours through United and are leaving through Newark, it ended up being a lot less expensive leaving from Newark, and United gave the best rates and the shortest travel time!  Also we have a direct flight there (it is a continental flight though) and then home have a hour layover in San Fran, and that flight is United we booked everything through United though even our island hopping flights we are doing oahu, kauai, and maui.  Hope this helps!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My hubby and I were originally looking at going to Hawaii on our HM as well and what ended up being the least expensive option for us (out of Newark) was getting a great deal on a flight to LA and then booking a seperate flight from LA to Hawaii because both flights allowed us options to find really cheap deals as opposed to not really finding great deals for a flight right to Hawaii from the East Coast.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If you can fly out of Newark I would seriously consider it.
    I went on my Hawaii Honeymoon (Flew into Honolulu and then Maui) from Newark on Continental (which is now owned by United). Round trip was just shy of $900 each)

Flight there was amazing,  We couldn't get a First class upgrade, but I was able to were able to scope out seats that would be  comfortable (my husband is 6'3").
    We used seat guru to find seats,  and then when you check in online you can upgrade to for approx. $30 (more leg room is the biggest benefit), if you are a Continenal OnePass member you may even get the extra-legroom upgrade for free (so sign up prior for checking into your flight)
    www.seatguru.com

The Newark -Honolulu flight was non-stop! Once we got to Honolulu we took a Hawaiian airlines flight to Maui.

The Flight home wasn't as fabulous.  We flew: Maui to LA, LA  to Newark.
    We flew First class both legs of the trip, and the flight from Maui to LA was a nightmare, 5+ hrs and no entertainment on an older plane and the flight attendants were NNNNASSSTTTYYYYY

LA to Newark was definitely a newer plane, cheery flight crew and was much more comfortable.
  • Options
    mander3117mander3117 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
      We are flying into Maui and out of Oahu for our honeymoon in June and are flying US Airways out of Philly.  We have one stop in Phoenix on both outbound and return flights (which is good, compared to friends who've stopped in Chicago our Houston and still have all that way to fly), and we paid less than $850pp r/t.  We fly early morning on the way out, in Maui by 2:30pm (their time) and have a red-eye back allowing us to have a full last day.
      I booked these on my own, so no travel agent involved...I think everyone has airline horror stories, but I've flown US Airways regularly for years (at one point commuting weekly from DC to Boston) and overall have had a good experiences.  Always chance of slip-up, but for a flight to Hawaii which is long and pricey, I would just try to find the airports and flight times that are most convenient for you at a price you find you can afford.
      When are you going?  Good luck!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for all the advice ladies.  Newark didn't work out for our schedule, so I booked Philly.  mander3117, I think I booked same flights you did for June...hahaha.  Have fun!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards