Delaware

A tiny vent...

So I finally called the two florists that I filled forms out on their websites.  Neither of them is Belak's... but they are my next call if I don't like how my appointment goes this evening.  Sorry in advance for the tl;dr.

Florist 1: This florist was my top choice.  I really wanted to use them, because when my friend Rich died 2 years ago (almost exactly 2 years ago...it was Veterans Day weekend) all of our friends pitched in $10 for flowers.  We had $210 for flowers for his funeral.  For some reason, we had had a conversation not long before he passed about flowers... and he loved lilies.  I remember because he couldn't understand why Gzilla (my FI) doesn't like them.  So I really wanted lilies.  But, Veterans Day is 3 days away... and they don't HAVE any lilies.  When Gzilla picked up our two bouquets, the one had 2.5 dozen red roses (I just said make one all roses and the other all white flowers, I don't care what is in there as long as there aren't any carnations).  These people went OUT OF THEIR WAY to find me lilies.  And I never forgot that.  It really meant a lot to me. 

So naturally, they were our first choice for florists.  Not only are they literally around the corner from our house, but they went above and beyond.  When my email wasn't answered, I started to get annoyed.  So I called yesterday.  The conversation went:

Flower Person: XYZ Flowers (in the grumpiest way possible)
Me: HI, I was wondering if I could set up an appointment to speak with someone about weddings?
FP: We don't DO weddings anymore.
Me: I'm sorry? Not at all?
FP: No. We. don't. DO. weddings. any. more.
Me: Wow.  Okay.. well you should probably change your website, then.
FP: Yeah.  We're working on that.  Thanks. (click)

To say I was upset is an understatement.  I'm still fuming about it.

Florist 2 was recommended by a coworker.  I didn't even know these people EXISTED until my work delivered coffee & pastries to them for a contest.  My coworker knows that I'm planning a wedding, so he got their card.  I called them yesterday immediately after Florist 1, and the person I spoke with was ridiculously nice... and since they had a cancellation, I get to meet with her today to go over some things.  Fingers crossed that i like them.  Their pictures on their website are GORGEOUS, so I have a good feeling about them.
Paprika: I like it when you burp in my ear. It really turns me on.

Baby Beach, Aruba, 2011
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Posy Palette Blog

Re: A tiny vent...

• adelarioadelario member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wow, saying that I would be fuming after the phone call with XYZ flowers would be an understatement! How unprofessional and rude!  Don't they realize that you will never do business with them after such a response?

Good luck with your florist pick!
  • dibsontopdibsontop member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ugh, how frustrating.  Good luck with the other florist!

• edited December 2011
    I hope all goes well with your appointment!!!  Keep us posted! 

What a shame about the florist your really like!
    September 2011 August Siggy Challenge- Drag Queens!! imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Dude, who was the first florist?!  PM me!  That is RIDICULOUS how they treated you.  Not cool, at all.  I want to make sure I never use them.

I used Belak's, and Barb did a FANTASTIC job on my flowers.  But it was more than just her cabability (which is quite evident).  She LISTENED, and she NOTICED. 
    We sat with her for over 3 hours, trying to determine what I wanted.  She noticed I kept going back to a certain bouquet in her books, and asked why I liked that one but didn't want to go with it.  I said I love it because it's got green in it, which is DH's fave color, but we don't have green anywhere in the wedding.  It was Barb who suggested that we do something different in our floral colors, to give the wedding some pizzazz and make stuff pop.  She then told me we could do that, and replace some of the flowers.  I asked if we could add some pink in, since that's my favorite color, and do pink and green flowers to represent us.  She loved the idea, and we were off (we did stargazer lilies for my pink, which are also my fave flower). 
    Then, while sitting at the table, I hesitated about listing people and what they should get.  She asked what was going on.  When I said it would make my mom mad, she turned to my mom, said, Sharon, let me hear her out, and then said tell me.  I told her I didn't know if I should get Mojo (my dad's girlfriend of 12 years, who we just call my stepmom) flowers.  She said, if Mojo is going to be in pics, then she needs something.  She then turned to my mom and said, it doesn't have to be much, but it needs to be done- I know that's hard to hear, but it shows you are the bigger woman (and then we all had a good laugh).  But the point is, she listened to me, and stuck up for me in front of my mom instead of just going thru the motions.
    She did our altar flowers at the church, and knocked them out of the park.  Because of how ornate the church we got married in is, we needed something that wasn't puny and fit the theme.  They turned out fantastic.
    FYI, I also know Barb thru church (we both attend St. Philip's Lutheran, on Kirkwood Hwy- the one with the funny signs, next to Petco).  She is a gem, and was constantly calling or asking me in church if there were any changes, etc etc.  Such a sweet person, and just genuinely cares about her brides (I have several friends who used her, and felt the same way). 

Anyway, if your appointment doesn't go great, I HIGHLY recommend Barb.  Not to mention that her pricing was pretty decent as well!

Here are some pics.  The girls had some blue in theirs (Blue Delphinium) to differentiate from me.  The moms had clutches of stargazers and white spray roses.  The best maid had a wristlet of the bridesmaids flowers, the GM had bouts of daisies with green centers (another fave flower of mine), and my nieces and stepmom had wristlets of daisies and baby's breath.  My grandmas had wristlets of white daisies and white spray roses (there may have been something else, I can't remember right now LOL).  The RB had a bout of fake delphinium and a magnet button instead of a pin.  I made the FG's ball since she wanted to keep it.  if you want to see more pics, let me know and when I get my pictures back I can show you.  If you view the slideshow in my siggy, you should be able to get an idea of what we did.

My flowers from the Top:

My flowers from the side:

The groom's bout (Stephanotis was reserved for just him and I, it's my other fave flower):

• edited December 2011
    MBR--YGPM.

I'll definitely call Barb if my meeting tonight doesn't go well.  It's at Celebrations Design Group in Claymont... I'm meeting with Donna.  She seemed really sweet.  She said that the reason they hadn't called me back is the girl who used to take care of the internet leads isn't with the company anymore. 

Do you think I should write Florist 1 a letter... or just let it go?

Baby Beach, Aruba, 2011

Posy Palette Blog
  • JayElleJayCeeJayElleJayCee member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think something should be done! It's just bad for business - i'm sure the manager/owner would want to know if the person answering the phones was a total B and scaring customers away! What a shame. Hope all goes well tonight!! ps YGPM!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    It went REALLY well, actually!!!  I met with a woman named Donna, and she was a total sweetheart.  And with all of the flowers we're doing (my bouquet, 5 BMs, 1 FG, Gzilla, 5 Groomsmen, 1 RB, 6 parents--my parents are remarried/committed, throw-away, Blessed Mother, and 2 Arrangements for the Altar) we were still under budget.  I didn't have to take away ANYTHING that I really wanted.  And I was able to get my two favorite flowers, the stargazer lily and the sterling rose (I have a fabric-painting I did in college of a stargazer lily) which I know aren't the cheapest flowers.  They aren't as expensive as orchids, but they can be pricey!  I think we're going to go with these guys.

Baby Beach, Aruba, 2011

Posy Palette Blog
  • edited December 2011
    JLJC-Back at ya.  I may or may not have thought of a whole bunch more songs in the car. :-)

Baby Beach, Aruba, 2011

Posy Palette Blog
  • wicked+faerywicked+faery member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    congrats on the florist find ^_^ it's a great feeling when u can keep ur flowers under budget without sacrificing what u want.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards