Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

S/O Cash Bars-How Much Per Drink?

So I have never been to a cash bar wedding, and I'm curious-how much does the guest have to pay per drink?

I'm assuming it varies like in a regular bar, but anyone have any experiences they want to share?
-This is not legal advice- Wedding Countdown Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPiclarger_image

Re: S/O Cash Bars-How Much Per Drink?

• Options
    mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    The last cash bar (at a wedding) I saw was in the 90s, and I was underage.  I have no idea.
  • Options
    $0
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    danz9danz9 member
    First Comment
    We do toonie (two dollars) or loonie (one dollar) bars in my home town at the local Legion. I have been to hotel weddings where we basically had to pay bar prices for the liquor.
  • Options
    em01092em01092 member
    First Comment
    edited May 2011
    I paid $3/drink-sex on the beach. They were medium size (idk how many oz, maybe 6?) and not very strong, but that's ok. Only had 2. 
    April Siggy Challenge-Wedding Escape: Reading HG/dreaming about Peeta.... Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker Bio-Updated 4/22**
  • Options
    aragx6aragx6 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    In looking at venues I've seen some who post their cash bar prices and at least one was very steep -- $4 for a domestic, $7 for wells

I've never actually attended a cash bar wedding though, so most might run cheaper than what I saw on that one site.
    Lizzie
  • Options
    I've been to a few weddings with cash bars, and it does vary. Beer was always cheap, but since I don't drink beer, I ended up paying $5-7 drink. Needless to say, 1 or 2 drinks was my limit.
  • Options
    annakb8annakb8 member
    First Comment
    edited May 2011
    I've never been to a cash bar wedding.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    The cash bar prices at my venue are pretty steep: $6.50 for a mixed drink, $6 for a glass of wine, $4 for a Bud Light.

edited:  I'm not having a cash bar.  But if I were, this is what it would cost.
  • Options
    mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    At my venue, beer was $4-5, wine was $7-18, well drinks were around $7-8, some of the premium stuff was $15-20.  That was consumption or cash. 

Oh, and no, we didn't have a cash bar.  In his younger days, H probably was responsible for a good chunk of everyone's bar bills.  It was the least we could do to host them properly in reverse.
  • Options
    LuluP82LuluP82 member
    First Comment
    I've never been to a wedding with a cash bar either.

I do know, though, that at our venue, once the open bar ran out, we had the option to either switch it to consumption or cash bar (or close it). We did consumption, and they literally just charged what they charged for normal drinks. It was a hotel bar, so like $8-$14 for a glass of wine (it's what I drink, so what I know :) ). Since we opted for consumption (I am one of the adamant I hate cash bars and think they're akin to charging people for dinner crowd), they cut us a bit of a break, but it was like $2 off. I'd imagine a cash bar would operate on the same principle unless the host subsidized it a bit.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    CellesCelles member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    I've never been to a wedding with a cash bar. Our bar package was $33 per person for five hours of unlimited beer, wine and house liquor. I heard afterwards that the bartender was VERY liberal with the amount of liquor he used in the mixed drinks.
  • Options

I have never been to a wedding with a cash bar. 

• Options
    the place where i am having my reception charges as follows:
    Premium brands - 9/ea
    Call brands - 10/ea (huh?  that seems backwards)
    Cordials - 10/ea
    Imported or Micro Brew - 7.50/ea
    Domestic beer - 6.50/ea
    House wine - 8/ea
    Fruit juice, Soda, bottled water - 5/ea.

plus a 250 bartender fee and a 500 min bar charge guarantee.
  • Options
    amys325amys325 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    I've never been to a cash bar wedding either, but I would assume that it will differ greatly where the wedding is.  I live in Chicago and it would probably be around $5 for a beer, $8 for a glass of wine....
  • Options
    The one wedding I went to with a partial cash bar, my 12 ounce bottle of Sam Adams was $6. So regular bar prices.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_cash-bars-much-per-drink-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:9cbb6447-272c-4e5a-b974-5491d984a67ePost:10c048a4-af9b-4bb8-a8ee-88a777ec5ab0">Re: S/O Cash Bars-How Much Per Drink?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I do know, though, that at our venue, once the open bar ran out, we had the option to either switch it to consumption or cash bar (or close it). Posted by LuluP82[/QUOTE]

how does an open bar run out?  or did you just basically time out (i.e. you had it for 4 hours and you actually stayed longer?)

my first wedding had 2 kegs and 2 bottles of wine on each table.  anything other than that was cash bar.  this time, i'm having an open bar.  of course, finances are a lot less tight this time around.....
  • Options
    I've only recently attended a wedding that was hosted, almost everything I've been to was cash.  Generally, it's similar to drink prices at restaurants.  Beer is in the $4-$5 range, wine in the $6-$7 range and mixed drinks in the $6 -$10 range (depending on what you get).
    Anniversary
  • Options
    LuluP82LuluP82 member
    First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_cash-bars-much-per-drink-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:9cbb6447-272c-4e5a-b974-5491d984a67ePost:16f2e06e-7c01-4f82-8f36-13114b355e7e">Re: S/O Cash Bars-How Much Per Drink?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: S/O Cash Bars-How Much Per Drink? : how does an open bar run out?  or did you just basically time out (i.e. you had it for 4 hours and you actually stayed longer?) my first wedding had 2 kegs and 2 bottles of wine on each table.  anything other than that was cash bar.  this time, i'm having an open bar.  of course, finances are a lot less tight this time around.....
    Posted by jenjenaz[/QUOTE]

Oh it was the time. Sorry if I didn't make it clear. Our package came with 4 hours. We upgraded to 6 hours. At 6 hours, ppl were still partying, so the venue asked the planner if we wanted to shut the bar or keep it open and if open, swtich to cash or consumption. Planner asked my dad. We kept it open, consumption.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Most of the weddings I've been to have open for a while, then switch to cash at some point. It's depended on the region, but generally:

Beer $2-5
    Wine $4-6
    Liquor $5-10
  • Options
    depends on the venue and the B&G.  i've been to one where the B&G didn't cover any drinks at a hotel, so they were like $7each.  i've been to hall weddings where drinks were $2.  i've been to a wedding where drinks were $2each and then the bride and groom paid like $3each. 

"It's shart week." -georgiabride
    "This post is seriously retarded." -Stackeye210
    Miss
    Mrs & ZOMG we built a howse!
    being healthy. blog.
  • Options
    Around here everyone has a cash bar of sorts
    If the venue allows it, a toonie or $3/drink bar is common
    If you are at a hotel venue, then you're looking at $6-$8 a drink.
  • Options
    At our venue, it would have been $3.50 for domestic beer, and up to $7.50 for liquor. We did not have super high end stuff available.

What I found really sketchy was that those prices were higher than what would have been true if we paid based on consumption (which we did). They upped the price to make up for the fact that they wouldn't be assessing the guests the 20% service charge that they did for us. :-/
  • Options
    par31par31 member
    First Comment
    Your best bet would to be to ask the venue the price as each would charge their own prices
  • Options
    I don't think that I've ever been to a wedding with a cash bar, 

I vaguely remember that one of my cousins had a gormet dinner with selected wines served.  There was a cash bar outside of the room but I didn't see anyone use it.

Someone always says they are trying to protect guests from driving drunk but I don't buy that one at all.  I consider cash bars at weddings a good sign of a cheap person overall.

I do understanding having cake & punch, tea, water, receptions if you are against drinking alcohol for any reason
  • Options
    I've been to a couple of weddings with cash bars, but I rarely carry cash and so I just didn't drink. So I have no idea.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards