October 2012 Weddings
Options

My photographer can't make it to the wedding!

My photographer moved from ME to IA a few months ago but assured me that she'd do the wedding still. I got a FB note at midnight last night that she couldn't come but that she'd arranged for a friend to shoot the wedding for us. She'll still edit the pics, etc and has upgraded our album from an 8x8 to a 9x12.

I'm concerned about connecting with the new photographer (my original photographer and I had established a great rapport and I love her work). Would you be worried or upset or just roll with it?

BTW, I was so concerned that this might happen that I asked an amateur photographer that I know through work to be our plan B in case this happened. Should I invite her to the wedding and have her as a back up? She said she'd only charge me $150.
Just my two cents! Penny L G M

Re: My photographer can't make it to the wedding!

• Options
    If you have the extra $150 in the budget, I'd have both attend. If you trust your first photog, then I'm sure her reccomendation will be a good fill-in.

I'd say just go with your plan b, but the word amateur makes me nervous!  If they were e-pics, that would be one thing, but it's tricky to recreate the wedding.

Good luck hashing this out!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    That sucks.  I remember your original post about this.

I would have the backup there just in case...ya never know.  I think it would ease your mind a little bit.  You shouldn't have to be worried about your photog on your wedding day!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Be sure to check your contract first. Some photographers will not allow for other professional photographers to shoot the wedding.  If there is no clause about that in your contract, I say go for it!
    -Amanda-
    Rhody Life

Our Favorite Pro Pic

Anniversary
  • Options
    I feel your pain (sort - of)....I recently found out via Facebook that my photographer is leaving for a month long vacation the day after our wedding. Not sure when we will get the proofs back. Surprised
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We had the exact same thing happen to us. It ended up being a great thing, as we actully like the new photographer much better then our old one. Meet with the replacement photographer and see how it goes. You may be pleasantly surprised!!
    dscf4745-2
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I think I would try to meet with the replacement photographer to see some of her work and maybe take some pictures with the replacement to get a feel for each other. The word amateur concerns me as well, but if it's in your budget and your contract allows for it, I would see if you could have both there. 

I truly hope the situation works out for you and your pictures end up amazing.  
  • Options
    I hate getting my picture taken, so even though I will be happy to have pictures and I really like my photographer, as I'm reading this I realize I'm not as concerned about this as maybe I should be :)
  • Options
    Once I get her contact info, I will meet with her ASAP. Of course, today I leave for a business trip and the wedding is only 17 days away! I need to see how we connect and samples of her work to make sure she's a good fit for us. Thanks for all the support, fingers crossed that it all works out well.
  • Options
    Personally, I'd be pretty ticked. She made a commitment to you and barring severe illness or legit family emergencies she needs to honour it.

If you're more comfortable with your backup photographer I would check your contract and then use her.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    As everyone else says, I would meet with the BU photog.  Assuming you like them, I would contact your photog and let her know that you are expecting more of a discount or upgraded services for breaking your contract.  I might even be inclined to ask the BU photog what they would normally charge for a wedding to see if their packages are comparable.  If they are not you def deserve some sort of refund.
    Anniversary imagemy read shelf:
    Cathy (CathyL7910)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    ADVICE----- DO NOT under ANY circumstances hire a back up photographer without mentioning it to the original.  As a photographer myself, I would take this as a personal insult that you do not have faith in my work.  If you don't have faith, terminate the contract as she is not holding up her end (replacing her with a professional of equal calibre).  Please have a telephone conversation with the hired photographer before making any decisions.  Also remember - you get what you pay for - $150 for wedding photography - I'd be very afriad of what I would be getting for that.
    458 Invited image
    300 Yes image
    78 No image
    80 Are making my stalk mailbox image
  • Options
    What PP said is exactly what I'd say. Also speaking as a photographer, I doubt I would ever trust someone that would only charge $150 for a wedding. That's either someone that doesn't know what they are worth, or are under-charging as the only way to get business. Usually the second. Definitely think long and hard before using an amateur that is charging that little. I'm not saying not to trust an amateur - all of us have to start somewhere - but the price is what makes me say to shy away from them. No photographer with any self-respect would ask for that little for a wedding.

Photobucket
    Anniversary
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    Meeting with the BU photographer this weekend (the one the the original recommended). Checked online and her work looks comparable.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards