Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

XP : Corkage Fee Question

We are bringing in our own caterer for our reception and the caterer I am looking at has sent me a pricing proposal.  The proposal includes a fee for service, bar set up, and $10 corkage fee.  When I first read it, I thought it was a $10 flat corkage fee.  While reading Bridal Bargains, I realized that they mean a $10 PER BOTTLE fee.  This seems ridiculously excessive to me.

I am being charged for service, bar set up, and gratuity.  You want me to pay an extra $10 to open each bottle?  It seems to me I am already paying quite a bit for the service through the other fees.

Is this a standard fee?  Is this a charge that a caterer would typically negotiate on?

I really like this caterer, but this is a deal breaker for me.  I am in the beginning stages of looking for a caterer, but I wanted some advice before I try to negotiate on this.

TIA!

IMG_6364
"Life is not orderly. No matter how we try to make life so, right in the middle of it we die, lose a leg, fall in love, drop a jar of applesauce." - Natalie Goldberg

Re: XP : Corkage Fee Question

• Options
    edited December 2011
    That would be a really reasonable corkage fee at a restaurant because of the work that goes into the bottle opening/glass cleaning and to make up for the lost sales if you had been drinking the restaurant's marked-up wine.  But for a catering company that seems a bit high....especially if the caterer cannot offer to provide wine for you....

Does your caterer offer to provide the wine and just allows you to provide your own if you don't like theirs?  And/or is the set-up fee negligible (like under 100 dollars)?  If so, 10 dollars each seems reasonable.  But if the set up fee is much higher than that and they can't offer you wine then I'd try to get her to knock it down to 5 or so.  
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree with NOLA. Corkage is charged where you bring in your own wine, rather than purchasing through the caterer/restaurant. $10 is a rather low corkage fee around here, but any corkage fee when the wine has been purchased through the caterer/restaurant is very unusual.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think $10 is reasonable.
  • Options
    KatiScarletKatiScarlet member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The corkage fee is usually charged if you are supplying the wine.  I'm actually paying a $15 corkage fee ar my venue, so I'd trade for $10 in a heartbeat.  Most restaurants will change $20+ for corkage if you bring a bottle of wine for dinner. 

Ask for clarification as to it applying to theri wine vs. your wine.  If it's their wine PLUS a corkage fee, consider walking away.  They are robbing you.  If you are indeed supplying the wine, then tell them it is a deal breaker.  Explain you understand they need to recoup money for the wine, but you will pay no more than $5 or $8 (whatever you pick) per bottle. 
    Sept 2011 Board - Feb Sig Challenge: Reception Location-
    image Wedding Countdown Ticker

But why wouldn't you serve ice cream with the cake?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    How do i get ajob as a uncorker?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards