West Virginia

Rose Tree Boutique?

I want to know if anyone else has used Rose Tree to purchase thier dress.  I've been prom dress shopping there and never had a problem, and when I went a few days ago they were extremely nice once I finally got help.  I'm just worried about their alterations.  My cousin purchased her prom dress there a few months ago and they RUINED her dress.  It was so bad my mom took the dress home (still paid full price) and redid as much as possible herself before calling someone else to finish it.  If it were something off the wall I wouldn't worry but they messed up the simplest things. 
The cups sewn in were upside down even though they have padding at the bottom, they didn't even take up the straps which were waaay to big, to take up the hips they only changed one side and the seam down the back was going around her leg (still don't know how they managed that one), and when they added pleats they did 10 of them upside down and with all the seams showing.  This was after they were supposed to be working on the dress for two weeks.  I don't know if anyone else has had problems and I'm hoping it was just a freak mess up.  I would love to hear anyone's story with their alterations, I'm just getting worried about trusting my dress to them.

Re: Rose Tree Boutique?

• edited December 2011
    i bought a few prom/formal dresses from them too a few years ago, and i had a very good experience with them.  however, when i was bridal gown shopping, i had a very negative experiece!  they were rude, and they didn't seem to want to help at all.  even after that....i took 2 of my bridesmaids back with me to show them the dress i was thinking about and to look at bridesmaids dresses, and even though we were the only customers there besides one girl on the prom side, they acted like they were too busy to help us.  so, we pulled the dresses we liked (there were about 10 of them) and tried them on.  then we decided on a few to narrow it down to and they acted like i asked them to donate me a kidney when i requested color swatches!  they were put out that we pulled so many dresses too.  i decided not to buy anything from them.  i got my dress (the one i actually picked out at rosetree) from bridal and formal in cincinatti, and we ordered the bm dresses from Elizabeth Michael's in parkersburg.  i had wonderful experiences with those two shops, and i would highly reccommend them over the rosetree.  plus, just another heads up, i have a friend that had a gown altered at rosetree and they messed it up to the point it wasnt wearable and she had to buy another one, and they screwed her out of the money from the first one!  omg.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • sexymandersexymander member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That's how they did my cousin's dress after they screwed it up a week before prom.  Since they offered to fix it they didn't take anything off the charge and we had to pay someone else to fix it. 
    When I went to the store a week or so ago I got a really nice woman who gave me her name and number.  She went out of her way to try to find a way to help me get the dress to try (they didn't have it in store).  Whenever I go back i'm going to contact her to check her schedule, she even offered to come in a day she didn't work to help me!  I think i'll end up purchasing my dress but altering elsewhere.  I just wanted to know for sure that other people were getting their dresses messed up as badly.  It sucks that you had a bad time with them.  I guess it just depends on who you end up with.  Thanks for helping me make a good decision!
  • edited December 2011
    Look them up on the BBB website, I did and because of the rating & complaints I steeed clear of them, even thugh I wanted to try on a Forever Yous gown.  I ended up buying from Nandels in Eleanor, wonderful service!
    image. Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I had read a lot of reviews for them online which had me a little nervous other than knowing what they did to my cousin's dress.  I just think that most people who post a review usually always had a bad experience so you never hear about the good ones.  I didn't have a problem with my sales person though so I plan to purchase everything from her just to get the discounts they offer, but I'm going to do my alterations elsewhere.

• edited December 2011
    you should be ok as long as you don't alter there.  but, another option would be to try to get the discount elsewhere.  i know rosetree offers pretty good deals, but when i went to cincinatti to dress shop, i told my sales girl what rosetree was going to sell me the dress for, which was already a good deal, and they beat it.  so keep that in mind.  most dress shops will offer competitive pricing.
  • edited December 2011
    I agree with PP, my shop came down on my dress to what the competition was selling it for, plus I got the 10% off my BM dresses too.  Too far to drive up and return tuxes or I probably would have gotten those there too.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My issue is I'm not going to have a chance to go anywhere further from me than Rose Tree, I'm going to be finishing up my last semester of college, and I'm taking some summer classes. Plus the discount on everything I'm going to need to buy will keep me under $800 for my entire outfit plus accessories.  It's much easier for me to make a little over an hour trip twice as opposed to a longer trip many times (I'm most likely making all the trips by myself too).  I went to a few stores closer and they all gave me much higher quotes for the dress even after they knew the price I'd already been quoted by Rose Tree.  I figure to keep on my budget its the best way to go.
  • edited December 2011
    you're probably right, just don't do your alterations there.  that seems to be their major problem.
  • beth0526beth0526 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I will never ever step foot in that store again. I went there and bought everything, I mean dress, shoes, earrnigs, bridesmaids stuff, we spent over $10,000 at one time. They dyed all the shoes the wrong color, and the shoes that were the right color (ivory) we almost brown and yellowish. dresses where altered completely wrong. my dress had a huge stain on it but yet it came "brand new"

Needless to say they were very rude and blamed all the problems on us, saying my bridesmaids had gained weight, and we did not have the right colors listed for the dye, but all the paperwork they had and the copies we had were all correct?? But after that nightmare, we did get all over our money back. I would never refer to them to anyone!!!
  • edited December 2011
    Rose Tree is close, but have you thought about going across into Ashland KY?
  • fostervfosterv member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Lara's Bridal in Ashland, KY is right past Rose Tree, probly 10 mins. They have fair prices and very nice ppl workin there. They arent tryin to get commission so they wont lie to u or bug u to death :)

• edited December 2011

I just bought my wedding dress and bridesmaid dresses there this weekend.  The lady that helped me was very nice.  She helped show me different hair styles, veils, and accessories that I could wear with the dress.  She was also very nice to my mother and sisters.  I found my dream dress so now I am a little worried after hearing the stories about alterations.  If you don't get your dress altered there, do you have any recommendations on where to take it?

• edited December 2011
    I also bought my dress there and my mom got hers too. We dealt with Kathy, and she was extremely helpful.  She gave us lots of hair ideas and matched up my jewerly and shoes great.  My bridesmaid dresses just came, so I shall see how they look. 
  • edited December 2011

Rose Tree has been know for years- and I do mean years - for being rude and messing up orders and alterations.  How they've stayed in business all this time is beyone me, probably because they are able to get lines and brands others can't.  They used to be one of very few options in the area, but now there  are too many others to have to deal with them.  Check out their ratings and complaints on the Better Business Bureau website - those are just a sampling of what they've been doing for decades.  I wouldn't buy anything there, I don't care how much of a 'deal' they offered.

• techgirl321techgirl321 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    OMG! I have an appointment in November to try on dresses there, but now I'm terrified!  I'll be looking around for alternative shops now.
    Thanks,
    Jessica
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards