Christian Weddings

Alterations... generally speaking

How much do they cost??? How much on average did you pay for alterations.

Re: Alterations... generally speaking

• edited December 2011
    Gah. I hit enter before I could write 300+.
  • edited December 2011
    I spent $85 on alterations - they took up the shoulders about an inch, and did the 3-point over bustle on the lace outer-layer, and a 1-point over bustle on the satin layer underneath. 

If I had needed a hem, because it's a 2-layer dress, WITH lace, it would have been $120 for the hem alone. 

glad I got the right height of shoes.... :-)
    July 16, Our Wedding Day, is also International Juggling Day!
  • edited December 2011
    ya i was wondering about this too. AND about bustle...what is everyone doing for a bustle?
  • azdancer8azdancer8 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Mine were about $250. I had the hem (two layers) altered, both sides of the bodice taken in, a crinoline added, and a three point bustle put in. 

Your alterations person will be able to show you what the different bustles look like. Then you can figure out which one looks best with your dress.
  • edited December 2011
    Mine were around $350 which I about died when I saw. My dress has lots of lace, beading, and we added a bustle so it added up quickly!
  • edited December 2011
    I actually don't have a bustle - my dress has no train which is what i wanted. Thanks for the info everybody this is really helpful.

I need the bodice taken in, I lost weight even though I was trying desperately to stay the same :(
  • edited December 2011
    awh..ya..my dress is a corset back. which i got on purpose in case i lose or gain..i will be okay. 
  • edited December 2011
    I don't need alterations!!!! but if I did I did my MOH's mother was going to do them for free.
    imageAnniversary
  • edited December 2011
    I am going to see what all I need done this weekend. I do know that if you go to a seamstress who has her own business, it's usually cheaper than a chain store. For example, at David's Bridal where I got my dress they wanted about $250 for everything I needed, but when I told my seamstress what they said I needed and their price she said it would DEFINITELY be cheaper than that! Try to find a friend of a friend or something if you can. Much less expensive that way. GL! 
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_alterations-generally-speaking?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:2f04af3e-fd13-4ce6-be52-3324b6f0c3ccPost:60725770-49b8-455c-b866-57991471f184">Re: Alterations... generally speaking</a>:
    [QUOTE]awh..ya..my dress is a corset back. which i got on purpose in case i lose or gain..i will be okay. 
    Posted by amongthelilies25[/QUOTE]
    This.  I spent $120 to have my pick-up ballgown hemmed (they technically didn't hem it, they added in more pick-ups, thus the high charge).  Otherwise the dress fit me perfectly.  I am not doing a bustle.  I will only be doing one dance in the dress with the train - for which I will have the sewn-on loop on my wrist or hand - then I will be switching into a shorter reception dress.
    image imageimage image

My Blog

Anniversary

100/100 books read in 2012
    17/100 books read in 2013
  • GJones27GJones27 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The alterations themselves were like $50 for me, but I picked $200-300 because I chose to get a muslin fitting (which is $200 more), where I had the dress tailored to my exact measurements.
  • edited December 2011
    My mom's friend is doing them so I'm going to GUESS and say we're going to pay her $100.  :)

CW Siggy : Favorite Flower
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Any and all God created. Each one is a masterpiece. :)

I'm married!! As of May 1st, 2011. :)

Daisypath Vacation tickers
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks everybody! Your answers are really helpful. I came to my parents house (where my dress is) and I haven't been here since October - I maintained the same scale weight but have been working out - so my weight apparently redistributed... or I gained muscle and lost fat? I have no idea but I am a little panicked because this was not on my to-do list. I put on my dress and leaned back and my boob popped out! LOL!!! So I have an emergency fitting on Tuesday at DB and I'm hoping they don't try to rip me off for this. It fits everywhere except the bust. Your answers have all been so helpful!
  • SuMmErKuTiESuMmErKuTiE member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I didn't need any alterations since my dress fit like a glove. If they measure you correctly and your weight doesn't fluctuate significantly before the dress comes in, you shouldn't need any. We just paid an extra $75 for my bustle and to have cups sewn into my dress so I wouldn't need a bra. Plus, I had a corset back so that could be adjusted accordingly to be looser or tighter.
  • katanne9katanne9 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My alterations were $300+. I had a lot of intricate beadwork and pleating that needed to be preserved.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards