Registry and Gift Forum
Options

Overwhelmed with Registering!!!

As of right now, I just started registering at Target, but I'm so overwhelmed.

In your opinion, what store/website has the easiest registry options in your opinion?

Re: Overwhelmed with Registering!!!

• Options
    A few people on this board have had good experience with Target, but most have NOT. If you go down to the bottom of this page and do a search for Target, you will find some of the horror stories. I really suggest that you keep that list small if you decide to stick with Target. 

My best experience was with Crate & Barrel. I also tried Macy's, but their online system really frustrated me, so I switched to JCPenneys which is much better. Penneys is switching around their site in May, though, so if you go with them I'd say wait a month.
  • Options
    I looooove crate & barrel's site - it's definitely the most user friendly.  I also really like Macy's because you can choose the order of things as they appear - they just go on the site in the order in which you add them.  I'm OCD about things like that, and it frustrates me when sites like BBB puts the 5 piece place setting below the serving platter, and you can't move it higher.

I am also a fan of pottery barn/williams sonoma (they are owned by the same company so their sites are very similar) and I like what Amazon has done to revamp their site.  I HATE the target registries and I'm not a huge fan of BBB's either.  BBB's is perfectly user-friendly, there are just things that go in and out of stock a lot there which I find annoying.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Bed Bath Beyond! They have all the little kitchen gadgets, all the way to pretty things for entertaining, like fine china. And of course, everything in between electric toothbrushes, outdoor grills, wall paintings..etc! I am very happy with BBB. In fact, not knocking Macy's love them, but they can be pricey!, I had found myself switching some of the things like my crystal drinkware over to BBB because they were on average quite cheaper 27/glass as opposed to 40/glass for my Lenox stemware. DEFINITELY check them out. And bring someone who really knows what a proper household should have: your mom ,an aunt, etc. Think about the type of house you plan to or do have and what is important to you. Do you love to make cocktails? Go for that nice bar tool set. Are you an aspiring chef? Don't be shy about adding some topgrade cookware like AllClad! Trust me, your family and friends want to buy you nice things for your new life together!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_overwhelmed-with-registering?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:4365ccd6-97c2-430e-8389-2392abf5637aPost:192019c9-91f6-486a-a406-c380098b60df">Re:Overwhelmed with Registering!!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Bed Bath Beyond! They have all the little kitchen gadgets, all the way to pretty things for entertaining, like fine china. And of course, everything in between electric toothbrushes, outdoor grills, wall paintings..etc! I am very happy with BBB. In fact, not knocking Macy's love them, but they can be pricey!, I had found myself switching some of the things like my crystal drinkware over to BBB because they were on average quite cheaper 27/glass as opposed to 40/glass for my Lenox stemware. DEFINITELY check them out. And bring someone who really knows what a proper household should have: your mom ,an aunt, etc. Think about the type of house you plan to or do have and what is important to you. Do you love to make cocktails? Go for that nice bar tool set. Are you an aspiring chef? Don't be shy about adding some topgrade cookware like AllClad! Trust me, your family and friends want to buy you nice things for your new life together!
    Posted by MrsD71[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>You joined today.  OP, she might be a vendor.  BBB is fine, but they have a lot of cheap stuff as well as nice stuff, and you never really know what you're getting unless it's something you can find elsewhere.  If you want china, I would go with a traditional department store beacuse only the really huge BBBs (and there usually are only 1 or 2 in any given state this size) carry china in-store.  </div><div>
    </div><div>I'm not knocking BBB - the last wedding gift I bought was from there - but I do think their site looks outdated, and their consultants can be irritating.  When FI and I registered there the consultant followed us around and didn't let us use the scan gun, which was sort of the reason why we went in-store to begin with.  I wanted FI to be able to use the gun to get into it.  They also added things we didn't want or need that I discovered when I got home.  Easy to delete, but it irked me.  They also charge a lot for shipping... and I know I usually shop at Macy's if the couple is registered there because it's free shipping over $99 there, and I usually hit that amount for weddings.</div><div>
    </div><div>Crate & Barrel is really the best - most people who have that one agree.  They ship extremely fast, pack very well, and their customer service is unbelievable.  If you read reviews on CB, there is often a customer service rep who responds to customer complaints on the reviews, and I've even seen them say (in response to, say, a customer complaining that color wasn't accurate), "we agree that the color looks wrong on the screen.  we've taken new pictures to reflect more accurately the colors as they appear in real life.  Please let us know if you think these are more accurate"  It's kind of awesome.</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I'm registered at both BBB and Macys. I like BBB better. Their prices are much lower, plus guests can use the 20% off coupons that are always around. They also have a great selection of stuff in every price range. With Macys I've have some trouble with them claiming to be discontinueing things, but then not really doing it. For example, I registered for luggage. RThey said they were discontinuing it so I started looking for another set, then it said it was out of stock, which fine, then a week later it was back in stock and on sale, then in another week it was being disconited again, now its fully in stock, not being discontinued and full price. Its making me nuts because I don't know whether to switch to a different one or not. And this is not the only item they have done this with. Also, the macys site continuously crashes my work computer, I'm not sure why.

image 180 invited image 145 are ready to party image 35 are missing out image 0! can't find the mailbox rsvp's due back June 20th! Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We registered at BBB and Williams Sonoma. I like the WS website far more. BBB constantly logs me out of the registry while I'm online looking at other items. WS is set up really nicely, and their registry checklist actually links to all of that kind of product, so it makes it very easy to see if you have what you need. (not saying you need everything that is on their checklist, but I think it's a good feature) I didn't have any problems with the BBB consultant adding extra things. We have had our laundry hamper discontinued and then back in stock a few times which is irritating. It's currently in stock, so I'm hoping it stays that way! Haven't registered in store for WS, so I can't tell you about that experience.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_overwhelmed-with-registering?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:4365ccd6-97c2-430e-8389-2392abf5637aPost:192019c9-91f6-486a-a406-c380098b60df">Re:Overwhelmed with Registering!!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Bed Bath Beyond! They have all the little kitchen gadgets, all the way to pretty things for entertaining, like fine china. And of course, everything in between electric toothbrushes, outdoor grills, wall paintings..etc! I am very happy with BBB. In fact, not knocking Macy's love them, but they can be pricey!, I had found myself switching some of the things like my crystal drinkware over to BBB because they were on average quite cheaper 27/glass as opposed to 40/glass for my Lenox stemware. DEFINITELY check them out. And bring someone who really knows what a proper household should have: your mom ,an aunt, etc. Think about the type of house you plan to or do have and what is important to you. Do you love to make cocktails? Go for that nice bar tool set. Are you an aspiring chef? Don't be shy about adding some topgrade cookware like AllClad! Trust me, your family and friends want to buy you nice things for your new life together!
    Posted by MrsD71[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Hmm, that does seem vendor-y. But considering BBB has a death hold on the bridal registry industry, I really don't see why they'd need to resort to this.</div><div>
    </div><div>I found my BBB registry to be the easiest. I also registered at Target at Kohls. Both had minor technical issues on their websites, but it wasn't anything that bothered me or made me want to delete it. 

</div>
  • Options
    I registered at BBB, Target and Kohl's. I think as prepared as I was (we've lived together for 4 years and lived on our own for 6) I still was very overwhelmed the first day. Take your time, stroll around caompare towels and dishes etc.  I would pick the store based on the items that match what you want in your home, compared  to who has the nicest registry website. I'm keeping it simple, no china or anything so I'm not stressed out about what people may or may not buy us. If they don't like the registry, they'll likely give you a check for the wedding.
    Good luck!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I have loved Crate & Barrel and Macy's
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_overwhelmed-with-registering?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:4365ccd6-97c2-430e-8389-2392abf5637aPost:2094d7a4-48d0-4904-a81b-fa331483058c">Re: Overwhelmed with Registering!!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have loved Crate & Barrel and Macy's
    Posted by LeiselEB[/QUOTE]

Us too!
  • Options
    We only registered at Target and had no issues. I have been on my own for awhile, so have just about everything needed for our house. We put a few upgrades and some items that we would really like on the registry, but nothing too much. We got a camper last year and enjoy camping, so there are a few extra items on the list for camping, but I guess that stuff is what we needed (or wanted). But, we are the same way, we didn't want to run alover the place to register here and there, so we just kept it simple with one place. If people don't like it, whatever they would like to give us that will be okay.
  • Options
    Best reccommendation sit down, figure out what you need. Then do a walk thru of the stores your considering. GO home and think about it! Then do your homework on the products you want to register for. See whats good, see whats bad. We did this and it saved us a ton of time!

And when you go wear comfy shoes!

We registered at Macys, Target, and Sears. I have not had a problem with them.
    We're Married!! And I couldn't be happier!
  • Options
    We also started off overwhelmed while registering, we made an appointment to come back so we can have a better plan of what we actually want.  We registered at BBB.  Talked to a woman at Macys and she was YAPPING our ears off for so long that it completely steered us far away from registering there. 
  • Options
    kfraskfras member
    First Comment
    I really like BBB's website, don't think it's outdated. And I like Target too, I liked that you could add "comments" under each item. and that you could upload a photo to your registry on their site. They send you coupons too!

We did both of those places, and also Kohls.
    Have fun with it, don't stress. Go out on a day when you and FI are both in a good mood and ready to do some scanning and TAKE YOUR TIME. Went to BBB on a night when we were in a rush and ended up going back another day to take our time with it. Also went to Macy's one night and I was miserable. It was hot in there and I was tired. And some of their stuff we found was very nice, but since I had already started our registries at other stores, I knew some items were cheaper at other stores. And they were cheaper for the SAME brands and products. Not cheaper brands. The same exact stuff. I also found some items are cheaper at BBB than kohls for the same items and later switched them online.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    MrsJacobs2BMrsJacobs2B member
    First Comment
    edited April 2012
    My advice is to browse stores online and make a list of what you would like on your registry. It is so much easier to go into the store knowing what you want instead of pointing and shooting. It can get overwhelming, but if you have a plan, you should be set. This will probably make it easier on your fiance, too, since men ordinarily do not like registering.

We registered at Bed Bath & Beyond and Target and had no problems with either. Most of our registry items came from BBB but we did not have trouble with Target updating our registry once items were purchased. Both stores sent us 10% coupons for our remaining items after our wedding, and then a local BBB had a special 20% in-store event. We ended up saving over $100.00 on our unpurchased items after our wedding.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_overwhelmed-with-registering?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:4365ccd6-97c2-430e-8389-2392abf5637aPost:b3ff3680-038b-41ad-ade9-be95e72c7ee5">Overwhelmed with Registering!!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]As of right now, I just started registering at Target, but I'm so overwhelmed. In your opinion, what store/website has the easiest registry options in your opinion?
    Posted by steph311psu[/QUOTE]

I'm glad you started this string because I was wondering where to register myself.  Judging from all the suggestions by everyone, I think I will stick with BBB and maybe Target (that's a HUGE maybe).
  • Options
    I love Crate & Barrel and Macy's too! FIs mom didn't ask where we were registered before putting Pottery Barn and Target on the shower invite and mailing them. So we ended up having to register quickly at those 2 in addition to C & B and macys. I took on Pottery Barn, which was ok, while FI tackled Target. He hated the online registry, said it was difficult to navigate and add items.
  • Options
    I registered at target and have been having some issues. I can't access by registry right now.  Also lots of items are limited.  Most stuff at BBB, but found out that they aren't carrying my china pattern (just want the dinner plates, soup bowls and a platter). Registered for those at bloomies.
  • Options
    they do log you out constantly when shopping which is so annoying!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards