Rhode Island

Ideas on Venue

I'm looking for ideas on where to get married in southern Rhode Island near the water, possibly in the Newport area.  Ideally I love the idea of renting a big house and having a backyard tented wedding but that seems rather difficult or alternatively renting out a whole inn so that we have the whole place to ourselves.  The reason is, is that I would like a place that I have some control over the design of the event.  I'd like to have the option of starting and stopping the party when I want to and arranging the tables settings and floor plan as I'd like.  Does anyone have any ideas on a venue that gives the couple more autonomy over their special day?

Re: Ideas on Venue

• RoyalOrientRoyalOrient member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I believe most venues will give you control over the design layout and several floor plan options. However, all venues have some sort of restriction especially in regards to the rental period. As for renting a private estate, you are right about it being difficult if not a logistical nightmare to plan. There are a few places in the Newport area by the water that might work for you. Most of them require an outside caterer and rentals of tables and chairs.

My venue, Easton Beach Rotunda

Fort Adams
    http://www.fortadams.org/Site%20Rental/rent.htm

International yacht restoration school
    - search under rent for more info

Roger Williams Global Heritage Hall

Herreshoff Marine Museum
  • edited December 2011
    Also check out:
    Glen Manor House
    Newport Yachting Center
    Greenvale Vineyards (overlooks the Sakonnet River)
    But like already mentioned, most places are going to be pretty stringent about time frame.You'd have a bit more flexibility if it's not peak season (May-September), and if it's a Friday or a Sunday.
    Good luck!
    We're selling some things left from our wedding! http://weddinggoodsforsale.weebly.com/ Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest! Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Also - Belle Mer on Goat Island in Newport or Regatta Club - these are tents that are right on the water, literally.  They don't have houses, but it's an option.

Another option is Lord Thompson Manor in Thompson, CT, it's pretty amazing!  It has 2 inns on the property and you rent out the whole Manor for your wedding.  I think you would have almost all the control, but with their rules and catering.  I know you wanted southern RI and water, but if you really want to wow guests and have an entire 'wedding weekend', then renting something like that would be your best bet.

Another option for renting a whole place would be Five Bridge Inn in Rehoboth, MA.  They have about 8-10 rooms that your guests could stay in, you'd have the whole grounds, a pool and you can use whatever caterer you want.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • i2012doi2012do member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You could also look into Whispering pines.
    I'm not sure if its exactrly what you are looking for, but there are cabins on site guests can stay in.

Also, I believe there was a girl on this board that did rent out a house in jamestown- it ended up being more expensive and a lot of work to do this, because you have to take into consideration permits, rentals,etc.
    www.weddedeverafter.blogspot.com
    167 Invited image 34 Attending image Declined 4 image Still Waiting 129 image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards