Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions
Options

Band or DJ?

I have always loved the way a DJ is able to guide a reception and engage a diverse group of people at weddings...but two of my friends are suggesting bands.  I love the energy of a live band but I am worried that a band wont be able to please such a broad group of age ranges and will be less versatile in pleasing individual tastes throughout the night.  Any thoughts?

Re: Band or DJ?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I have only ever been to a wedding (including my own) that had a DJ. I have never seen a band at a reception. If you decide to go with a band, I would just make sure you interview them well and confirm that they are able to play music from all the different genres you would like them to.
  • Options
    naomikbnaomikb member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I love having a live band present.  It makes the vibe of the party so much better.  They have to be a good band though, with a big repertoire and able to play lots of stuff that you like in a wide variety of styles.

When the band takes breaks, you can use the DJ (or iPod) to play more dance-tunes or whatever your band is lacking.

In an ideal world, this is the setup we would have for our wedding but we can't afford a band.  Too bad.
  • Options
    HaylaCHaylaC member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    a good live band can definately get people into the mood.  Having live music definately makes the atmosphere more personal and makes people feel in the moment.  My cousin had a brilliant live band, and we have chosen to have one too.

You should check their repetoire- its best if they do a range of covers from past yrs to present so you know they will cater for a range of tastes.  Also make sure they can provide demos/videos of their live performance, as most events will be private so you wont be able to see them live.  I agree with PP that having a DJ or Ipod will be necessary to play inbetween the sets and after the band finishes to provide music for the rest of the night
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Honeymoon Sunset

Anniversary

• Options
    edited December 2011

I love bands, but they take breaks (and they can be long).  

The thing I love about djs (especially ours) is that they can still be interactive if you want them to be.  You get to choose the types of music that they play (so if you don't like country - they don't have to play it).  Some bands won't change their repertoire.  

Wedding Countdown Ticker Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    kls114kls114 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I am a DJ girl all the way! But do what you think you will enjoy the best!
    ~Miss.~
    ~Mrs.~
    **Password: kls114**
    Photobucket
    Anniversary
  • Options
    jamiemarie33jamiemarie33 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was set on a DJ until I found the band we ended up hiring for our wedding.  Now, I think band is the way to go, as long as they are great.  Our band does everything, rock, hip hop, soul, you name it they can do it.  They will also be the MC and they DJ their own breaks. 
  • Options
    lizzfelicianolizzfeliciano member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Darling--- give my friend Darryl Powell a call! He is AMAZING and has a band called Powell Street. They are located in SF- but are available to travel.  I know that it's not cheap to have a band, but you can certainly try it out.

Here's a quick clip of them at my friend's wedding!!! BEST RECEPTION I'VE EVER BEEN TO IN MY LIFE because of the band. =)
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Darrylpowell2004#p/u/3/R2Ih0EXK9lM

If you're interested, I know you can reach him atq 415.685.9027

They welcome all wedding inquiries.

Thanks!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I can't stand bands at a wedding.  They never sing as good as the real thing.  They are not as versatile as a DJ, they take breaks, they have a limited song set, and then everyone is watching them rather than each other.  I'm so glad to have a DJ!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image 235 invited so far!
    image 144 are ready to party!
    image 91 will be missing out!
    image 0 are MIA!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You've never heard Lisa Love sing, she sings better that the reall artist, I don't know how she does ...but she does!  Band! The Lisa Love Experience is worth going to see:)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards