Christian Weddings

pre-marital mentoring.

well...i got the email saying that they paired FI and i up with a married couple for our pre-marital counseling!

i have to call them to set up for our first meeting when FI is home!

hooray!

anyone else doing or did pre-marital counseling/mentoring?

how was it? what did you learn the most?

Re: pre-marital mentoring.

• edited December 2011
    We started counsiling with FI's pastor...but then my car broke down on my way home from the first sessioin... lol So now we're trying to figure somthing out! Anyway it opened my eyes to some details I hadnt really thought about though. FI and I have been discussing more about what we learned and its brought us closer :)
    Photobucket My perfect dress! Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    oops thats supposed to be "counseling" lol
    Photobucket My perfect dress! Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Awesome! You will love it! We have only done one session so far, we need to schedule the others. Have fun! 
  • edited December 2011
    ooohhh... i am excited for ours!lol. 

i am a nerd! 
  • edited December 2011
    we just started ours this week to and it was a lot of fun just telling our story and we started some of our homework and that was fun too :) we're really looking forward to it too!
  • edited December 2011
    We've started on the counseling part of it already -- had 3 sessions so far.  I think we have 3 or 4 more sessions of our p-m counseling.  We are planning to start having dinners (etc) with a married couple / family we know to help us to stay on track as we get closer to the wedding and hopefully afterwards too.  We've not done the couple pairing yet, but we're both looking forward to it!! :-) 
    July 16, Our Wedding Day, is also International Juggling Day!
  • edited December 2011
    We're doing counseling with the pastor who is doing the ceremony, and the next two sessions are the sex sessions and are with a couple from the church (sorta like a mentor couple I guess). I am not looking forward to the sex sessions... ughhhhh

We didn't learn a whole lot, but it did made us talk a little more about budget and responsibilities and things like that.
    imageAnniversary
  • mrandmrsbristmrandmrsbrist member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We've been having "unofficial pre-marital counseling" with a minister from FI's church. No one has ever said "This is pre-marital counseling" but we're hitting everything it seems like you ladies are, including sex, money, etc. It's been really helpful and challenging. I'm not sure if I feel like it's actually benefiting us or will benefit us, but we're doing it anyway. It definitely isn't hurting anything. :)
    Pregnancy Ticker
    2010: 41 books, 2011: 31 books, 2012: 100 books
  • edited December 2011
    oh how exciting! I am really looking forward to ours which will be skyped... crazy but it happens!
  • edited December 2011
    My FI are looking forward to taking Pre-marital counseling from our Pastor and his wife. They are our mentors and I really believe it will have a great impact in our relationship both mentally, emotionally, and spiritually.
  • DramaGeekDramaGeek member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Our church doesn't do the couple pairing, though our pastor probably would have set it up if we'd asked, but we did do premarital counseling with our pastor.  In fact, there's a network of churches (ours included) where the pastors have all agreed to not marry a couple that refuses the premarital counseling.

Because we were young, we were concerned before we even got engaged that people would think we'd made a bad decision, so we had all the money and how will this work conversations pre-engagement.  When we went into our premarital counseling and already had all of that worked out our pastor was pretty shocked.  He told us he'd counseled couples significantly older than us who hadn't out those conversations.  We just did it as a pre-emptive strike to anyone who said, "but you're so young!  Have you even thought about XYZ?"

Even so, we enjoyed our pre-marital sessions with our pastor, if only as a way to get to know him better.  We did learn a couple things along the way too.
  • em01092em01092 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are doing some sessions with FI's pastor this summer, but I am not sure what all he will want to talk about. Really hope sex is not on his list, not because I am immature or anything but I just feel so reserved about that sort of thing and am not one to discuss such personal issues with someone I barely know!
    April Siggy Challenge-Wedding Escape: Reading HG/dreaming about Peeta.... Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker Bio-Updated 4/22**
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards