Wedding Woes

I think the solution to her issue is easy

Don't see her dad.  Just because he moves closer, it doesn't obligate her to see him.  Especially if he's insensitive and arrogant.

Dear Prudie,
I am the mother of 14-year-old twin girls. It took three torturous years of infertility treatment for me to get pregnant. Then my husband and I were told that I was carrying quintuplets! We explored all the ramifications of this pregnancy and got wise counsel from our doctor and our spiritual adviser. Because we feared total miscarriage or severe disability for one or more of the babies we decided on selective abortion and reduced the number of fetuses from five to two. This too was a torturous process emotionally and physically. Our families were very supportive and after our daughters were born we asked them not to share the fact of the selective abortion with them. Everyone agreed except my father who says family secrets are unhealthy. I told him that whether to tell the girls and when was up to my husband and me. He responded that he couldn’t promise that he would not tell, which is typical of his insensitivity and arrogance. He lives quite a distance away and I’ve had limited contact with him ever since. Now he plans on moving closer and the issue has come up again. I don’t think the girls are ready to hear this, and part of me doesn’t ever want to tell them. They do know I had infertility treatments. What should I do?

—Enraged Daughter, Protective Mom

Re: I think the solution to her issue is easy

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_i-think-the-solution-to-her-issue-is-easy?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:370bf457-6253-4f71-a884-c3f28b61ae75Post:e28fde6a-b049-4138-9e92-078ee875b07a">Re: I think the solution to her issue is easy</a>:
    [QUOTE]Are you a troll or does your life really suck this bad?
    Posted by DaveandRoxy[/QUOTE]

Where's AF?  She just got another early Christmas gift.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_i-think-the-solution-to-her-issue-is-easy?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:47Discussion:370bf457-6253-4f71-a884-c3f28b61ae75Post:e28fde6a-b049-4138-9e92-078ee875b07a">Re: I think the solution to her issue is easy</a>:
    [QUOTE]Are you a troll or does your life really suck this bad?
    Posted by DaveandRoxy[/QUOTE]

yes, dave and roxy. her real life sucks that bad.

you don't even know the half of it.

MERRY CHRISTMAS, AF!
  • HAHAHA!  THAT MIGHT BE THE BEST ONE YET!!!!

And she DDed?!?
  • i really don't understand why this whole process was discussed in great detail with the family. 

maybe my family is just not that close, but if we ever decided to terminate a pregnancy (or selectively abort) - we would just tell the family that we "lost" the baby. 
  • Yes she DD'd, but not fast enough!
  • Wow conn - so was the affair and rock assault after your selective abortion or before?

maybe your dad will take the mistresses' children while she's in prison to make up for his lost grandkids. 
  • edited September 2012
    Y'all know these things always reminds me of some movie.

It was the one where the kid was being haunted, and come to find out she had a twin that died in the womb.

Yeah, nothing to do with the topic, but you already know how my mind works.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_i-think-the-solution-to-her-issue-is-easy?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:370bf457-6253-4f71-a884-c3f28b61ae75Post:b3d79585-384d-4b6e-a7ba-9401572f1381">Re: I think the solution to her issue is easy</a>:
    [QUOTE]Wow conn - so was the affair and rock assault after your selective abortion or before? maybe your dad will take the mistresses' children while she's in prison to make up for his lost grandkids. 
    Posted by *Barbie*[/QUOTE]

I lub you so much.
  • and really, would anyone ever actually say, "by the way, I AM A TROLL"? has anyone ever done that?
  • The Eye, Nola?
  • Yes, that was it. Bad...bad...movie.

I never can remember titles and names. Maybe I need to get that checked.:)
  • Well if you're talking about bad movies, there's a good chance I know it.  :)

• I think this woman needs some therapy.Not that she should have to air her secrets, but since she already did, I'm going to leave that part be. 

She seems awfully ashamed of a choice she made very carefully and thoughtfully and with the help of a spiritual advisor. It's sad she's lived with that for more than 14 years.

• Does the father seem like the kind of guy that would picket the local Planned Parenthood with dead baby picket signs?
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I can understand why she doesn't want the girls to know.  Not necessarily shame, but the reaction the girls who were born might have knowing they had 3 siblings not born.  That's not even taking into account that at 14, the girls might be forming political opinions of their own and if they're not pro-choice, what does that do the their relationships?

I don't think she seems ashamed, but I can see why she struggles with it and doesn't want it just coming from her father in an off-hand comment.  
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_i-think-the-solution-to-her-issue-is-easy?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:47Discussion:370bf457-6253-4f71-a884-c3f28b61ae75Post:b3d79585-384d-4b6e-a7ba-9401572f1381">Re: I think the solution to her issue is easy</a>:
    [QUOTE]Wow conn - so was the affair and rock assault after your selective abortion or before? maybe your dad will take the mistresses' children while she's in prison to make up for his lost grandkids. 
    Posted by *Barbie*[/QUOTE]

^^^ This!  ^^^

Also, I completely agree with Varuna.   Which seems to be happening a lot lately, dammit.  ;)
  • I'll agree with Varuna. I don't think it has anything to do with shame, but everything to do with the fact that at 14 no one really needs to know about that. I don't understand why any one needs to tell them at all. She had a medical procedure. The kids are fine, and it doesn't sound like it impacts their medical history. Grandpa needs to STFU (also this is another reason why old people suck).
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards