Alaska

Photographer, Caterer & Flowers

Hi Girls,

With the new year I’ve been trying to get back into my planning and thought I would share one success and ask for some help too. The hardest things to book from far away seem to be catering and flowers. I’ve done some online browsing but don’t really know who other brides are using in the Anchorage area. We are hoping to do fresh salmon but I’m not sure about if it’s available in September? Any suggestions on a caterer or restaurant? I’m not sure what type of flowers I’m looking for. Normally, I’m not really a flowery girl but I would love to have some really nice arrangements on my wedding day. Who are others using? I’m really looking for personal recommendations since I may need to book the vendors before meeting them in person.

On a positive note, I booked our photographer this past weekend and am super excited about his style and our package. I really love the photojournalism style of wedding photography and found the website www.wpja.com which features a few AK photographers that do that style. In the listings was a company that works in Alaska but is based close to my home in Vancouver www.fotovitae.com. I met with the photographer, Brandon, on Saturday and he has been trying to expand to Alaska and gave us a nice break on price since our wedding was on a Sunday and he wants to do more weddings there. If you’re still looking you might contact him to see what he can do.

I hope there are so more Alaska knotties this year.

Sarah

Re: Photographer, Caterer & Flowers

• edited December 2011
    Hi Sarah! Thanks so much for the advice about the photographer. I LOVE his work and just contacted him for pricing.
  • srussesrusse member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi Sarah,

I'm planning my wedding in Anchorage too but I'm not living there right now and trying to look at things online also.  We are doing catering though our reception site but I have heard Alaska Events & Catering is really good. Their website is http://www.cateralaska.com/index.htm.  I saw they have some salmon things on the menu, but I'm not sure if it is seasonal or what you are looking for.

Good luck !
  • edited December 2011
    I second Alaska Events and Catering.  She is amazing and very easy to work with.

Have you tried Blushing Blooms for your flowers?  http://www.blushingblooms.info/default.html

Since you're coming from Portland, have you looked into perhaps having a local coordinator?  Andrea and Connie with Designing Divas www.ddplanners.com have been essential to my planning and are a blast to work with as well.

Good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    I am planning my wedding extremely far in advance (Im not getting married until 09/2011), but have already found an excellent caterer. Alaska Dream Catering has thoroughly impressed me so far. I met with the owner, and she sat with me for over an hour explaining her business. Prices are really reasonable ($28-50 per person) for everything you get. The prices include two entrees, two starches, two vegetables, four appetizers, and two chocolate waterfalls (one white chocolate and one milk chocolate). The appetizers are passed around by the employees of the business, which in my opinion is quite classy. They also provide crystal water glasses, champagne glasses, and nice dishware for the event. I was given a lot more information, but these are just some of the highlights. To top it off, they do free tastings, which are actually a full meal for you to take home and try! I would definitely recommend looking into this business.
  • edited December 2011
    I'm going with Clair D'Loon. Great food, reasonably priced and the owner attends each event.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards