Nevada-Las Vegas

What would you do?

So I just got off the phone with the House of Blues (my reception site). And since the woman who is normally in charge of bookings was out on maternity leave, I have been dealing with a different woman who gave me a ton of misinformation.

FI and I wanted to have our ceremony in the Shangri La room at the top of MB, but I was quoted 2.5k for the site fee plus a 2.5k f&b minimum for a cocktail hour afterward (we could not add that to the 7k f&b min for our reception in the HOB restaurant downstairs), and eventhough it was what we really wanted, we decided it was too expensive, and booked our ceremony at CP.

Well, now I found today that the site fee for Shangri La is only $750 and there are NO f&b minimums...

Did we book the Shangri La and loose our $850 deposit at Caesars? Or just pretend I never got this new info and move on? FI says to do whatever I want.

Re: What would you do?

• edited December 2011
    Are you providing transportation for guests from Caesar's to MB? When I ate my $600 deposit for Flamingo, I called at least half of it a wash, because I wouldn't have to provide transportation between ceremony and reception sites.

Other things to consider: Does this room come with anything? Or will you now have to consider photo, video, minister, etc- basically, will you be building your own ceremony? That's what I had to do. I'm glad I did it, but it was still difficult and got costly.
  • edited December 2011
    We have the DD bus booked for transportation.

I have Todd booked for photog for all day. So I guess he will just be waiting for us outside the ceremony at CP anyway. The video doesn't come with our package at CP, but Idk if we want it anyway. I think we could set up our own video at Shangri La. We would have to get our own minister, but they are under $200, right? And for music we could pipe in our own ipod music.
  • direy25direy25 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Natrasha definitely brings up good points.  What's the maximum you would have been willing to spend on the ceremony?  Does the site fee include the chairs, set-up & all of that stuff? 

Are you going to be able to just go on and pretend that you never got the information?  I know that if it were me, that would probably eat away at me for the rest of the planning process...
    Married 5.6.11

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• edited December 2011
    It will definetly bug the craaaaaaaaaap out of me for a while... but so will 'throwing away' $850.

The site fee includes set up of chairs and everthing.

ETA: The max we want to spend for a ceremony is 2k
  • direy25direy25 member
    edited December 2011
    That's definitely a tough one.  Sorry, I'm not really helping. 
    Married 5.6.11

• GribblesGribbles member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Which would be cheaper in the long run, ie. would you save $850 by moving back to the Shangi La room?

This is a pretty key part of your day and will set the tone for the whole wedding, so it is worth following your heart in this instance. Can you transfer the Caesars deposit towards the hotel stay or something..?
    www.mywedding.com/benandpetra
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_would?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:91Discussion:dcb4ee70-3ffa-4408-a791-a8c570cd428fPost:a490cb92-753b-426c-a14e-f8083d048ec1">Re: What would you do?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Which would be cheaper in the long run, ie. would you save $850 by moving back to the Shangi La room? This is a pretty key part of your day and will set the tone for the whole wedding, so it is worth following your heart in this instance. <strong>Can you transfer the Caesars deposit towards the hotel stay or something..?</strong>
    Posted by Gribbles[/QUOTE]

That would be AWESOME! I'll see what I can find out!

I wouldn't save any money moving to Shangri La, unless, instead of hosting a M&G with Masterpiece in a Suite, we could do the DD bus tour on the Friday night. I would have tyo check and see if the DD company would switch our reservation to Friday though... I feel like I am thinking out loud.
  • edited December 2011
    Well you would save 250ish by scrapping the DD bus. I think officiants are fairly cheap. Would they charge you outside vendor fees for like flowers and stuff? Because that stuff you could definitely save over Caesars. I think if it is not too too much money out the window, I would go with the MB, just because of convenience for you and your guests.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_would?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:91Discussion:dcb4ee70-3ffa-4408-a791-a8c570cd428fPost:d97d62ae-4832-4eaf-8610-9a931b4489a7">Re: What would you do?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Well you would save 250ish by scrapping the DD bus. I think officiants are fairly cheap. Would they charge you outside vendor fees for like flowers and stuff? Because that stuff you could definitely save over Caesars. I think if it is not too too much money out the window, I would go with the MB, just because of convenience for you and your guests.
    Posted by ahhhitsshannyn[/QUOTE]
    No outside vendor fees for flowers, but we aren't having any... so that's a wash.

We already put down a deposit for the DD bus, but I think we could switch it to Friday night instead.
  • edited December 2011
    I take it shangi la is different than foundation room?  I didn't know there was more than one thing up there, and we got quoted $20k to buy out foundation room.

I vote for keeping guests all in one place; it's so much nicer than having to move people around and the time that requires.

Married in Vegas - June 2011

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_would?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:91Discussion:dcb4ee70-3ffa-4408-a791-a8c570cd428fPost:22c835f5-2a2e-4a32-95fd-308e6aae5c80">Re: What would you do?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I take it shangi la is different than foundation room?  I didn't know there was more than one thing up there, and we got quoted $20k to buy out foundation room. I vote for keeping guests all in one place; it's so much nicer than having to move people around and the time that requires.
    Posted by vegasgroom[/QUOTE]

Shangri la is a room within the Foundation Room. I was quoted 20k fora  ceremony and reception at night up there... but we would only be having our ceremony up there and it would be in the early afternoon. Our reception is in the House of Blues restaurant downstairs.

I guess it would be nice to keep everyone in one place. Plus, we could have Tod photograph our ceremony!

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_would?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:91Discussion:dcb4ee70-3ffa-4408-a791-a8c570cd428fPost:43fb9e61-4f3e-4b3f-ad1f-2afa68c0c478">Re: What would you do?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Are you providing transportation for guests from Caesar's to MB? When I ate my $600 deposit for Flamingo, I called at least half of it a wash, because I wouldn't have to provide transportation between ceremony and reception sites.
    Posted by Natrasha[/QUOTE]

This is making me reconsider my current situation... it'd be nice to not have to do transportation...
  • direy25direy25 member
    edited December 2011

I'd probably end up switching.  If my dream venue all of a sudden became affordable, I'd probably go with it even if I lost some money.  And if you could change the DD bus for Friday as your meet & greet, that would be pretty cool.  Also, not having to deal with Caesars photography would definitely be a bonus!

Married 5.6.11

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_would?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:91Discussion:dcb4ee70-3ffa-4408-a791-a8c570cd428fPost:e5098108-6931-4acd-96a2-5649fa13bd87">Re: What would you do?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'd probably end up switching.  If my dream venue all of a sudden became affordable, I'd probably go with it even if I lost some money.  And if you could change the DD bus for Friday as your meet & greet, that would be pretty cool.  Also, not having to deal with Caesars photography would definitely be a bonus!
    Posted by direy25[/QUOTE]

You're so right about all of this.
  • empeguesempegues member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have no words of advice for you (big help I am today) other than good luck and let us know what happens!
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_would?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:91Discussion:dcb4ee70-3ffa-4408-a791-a8c570cd428fPost:36feb6ae-9bfd-4037-a74d-32efdfff761b">Re: What would you do?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What would you do? : This is making me reconsider my current situation... it'd be nice to not have to do transportation...
    Posted by nycheryl[/QUOTE]

While I am still a little sad because I really loved the look of Flamingo's garden gazebo and I lost $600, this was the best decision I've made. Especially as our guest list got bigger and bigger. Transportation at this point would be a nightmare.

Plus (this point is for CJ too), our ceremony is now going to be completely customized. We have a pastor who gave us this great questionairre to fill out so he could get to know us. It's the most important part of the day and I wasn't in love with the factory feel to the hotel chapel ceremonies. I'm not one of those people who wants a 6 minute ceremony so we can get to the partying quicker. The partying will come in due time!

Also, I like having one photog for everything. The picture style will all match throughout the day. This was important to me.

I would move it. Especially if you can use the DD bus on Friday.
  • direy25direy25 member
    edited December 2011
    Ditto every point Natrasha made.  Especially being able to personalize the ceremony.  We got a lot of compliments about our ceremony, you would have thought that Linda had known us for years. 
    Married 5.6.11

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_would?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:91Discussion:dcb4ee70-3ffa-4408-a791-a8c570cd428fPost:e5098108-6931-4acd-96a2-5649fa13bd87">Re: What would you do?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'd probably end up switching.  If my dream venue all of a sudden became affordable, I'd probably go with it even if I lost some money.  And if you could change the DD bus for Friday as your meet & greet, that would be pretty cool.  Also, not having to deal with Caesars photography would definitely be a bonus!
    Posted by direy25[/QUOTE]

This.
    But I wonder, was the prev coordinator dishonest with you about the cost from the beginning or is the price change something new?
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_would?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:91Discussion:dcb4ee70-3ffa-4408-a791-a8c570cd428fPost:8c8d40c2-17e9-40a1-bb16-5687c33323f7">Re: What would you do?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What would you do? : This. But I wonder, was the prev coordinator dishonest with you about the cost from the beginning or is the price change something new?
    Posted by QueenoftheHill[/QUOTE]

No, the previous wasn't being dishonest, she was just filling in for the regualar coordinator while she was on maternity leave. I guess she didn't have all the info correct.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards