Getting in Shape
Options

Running

Hi everyone! Since getting married I've gained about 10 pounds (boo!), so I decided to start my resolution early and start working out again. My goal is to run in a 5k, so today I started the couch to 5k program. Any advice for a beginning runner?

Re: Running

• Options
     Best advice:

Stop if it hurts. 
    Stop... assess problem... determine advisability of continuing... stop if necessary

Get professionally fitted for running shoes.
    Go to a runner's store where they can study your running style to determine the best shoes for your feet.

Dietary changes can be more effective than merely adding exercise when trying to lose weight.
  • Options
    Take it at our own pace and don't rush it. If you feel you're not ready to move up to next week, redo the week prior until you're comfortable. Stretch after your run...your legs/body is getting used to something new and stretching will prevent injury and help with initial soreness. The program is much easier now with downloadable phone apps or a podcast, so you can enjoy music while you get prompts to run/walk. Take advantage of those if you haven't yet. If you stick to the program you will become a runner, so good luck :)
    Agnes Wedding Countdown Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • Options
    As Anna.Oscar said, diet changes can maximize the benefits of running. I love to run! But it's my diet that dictates my weight.

With your downtime, I suggest yoga. I love yoga! It's a good way to stretch (very important for all forms of exercise), it gives a sense of release and you can try different forms of yoga for weight loss and muscle toning (The Biggest Loser's Weight Loss Yoga is great for this).

Good luck and have fun!
    Dear Optimist, Pessimist and Realist, While you guys were busy arguing about the glass of water, I drank it. Sincerely, The Opportunist
  • Options
    OP - always listen to Anna.  She is very wise.  Definitely get fitted for the right shoes as it will make a world of difference.  Stay hydrated and make sure to stretch.  GL!

Bio
    "You wore a tit dress at an AIDS party??? You need to go to the whore corner with Mara " - Blue
  • Options
    I did couch to 5k last year - it really works! I haven't kept up with it, but I can still run 2 miles at a time even after a few months of no running.

I started out with the free podrunner podcasts but they guy is super weird and plays all this trance music. It was helpful for the first few weeks when you're running lots of short intervals, but after maybe week 4 I switched to just listening to my ipod and wearing a watch with a timer.

Good luck!
    Follow Me (and my wedding!) on Pinterest
    50 in 2012 Reading Challenge: 2 books read
    my read shelf:

Katie Rizzo's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks so much for all the advice ladies! I know to truly see a difference I need to change my eating habits, so I'm going to work on that too. :)
  • Options
    Ditto Anna- get fitted for shoes! I cannot believe the difference it has made. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards