Not Engaged Yet
Options

Fried Day

The week is ending for some of us.

Highlights:
H and my wedding was featured in a local magazine! It is one picture of us cutting up our dinner at the reception, as the article was about food. But I'm so excited!

Lowlights: So much friggin' unpacking to do. Suddenly 7 years doesn't sound like enough time to get settled in.

You?

Re: Fried Day

• Options
    I have the day off today!  Highlight is that I'm buying a car.  Lowlight is... that I have to buy a car.  I sold my subaru very quickly yesterday and am now transportationless.  

Any suggestions on whether to finance a new or used car?  Or just go the Craigslist route?  

This is so stressful!
  • Options
    Highlights: The weather here is getting a bit cooler (meaning you don't immediately start sweating upon walking outside)!  I lost 5 pounds this week!  H and I are now Enriched Air Certified Divers! 

Lowlights: None.  This has been a pretty good week!
    IMG_6364
    "Life is not orderly. No matter how we try to make life so, right in the middle of it we die, lose a leg, fall in love, drop a jar of applesauce." - Natalie Goldberg
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_fried-day?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:47dc6574-2fcc-4895-a68c-3bae34c8dc24Post:43325cdc-c3a6-4c17-aa4c-fc5bbd8c5969">Re: Fried Day</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have the day off today!  Highlight is that I'm buying a car.  Lowlight is... that I have to buy a car.  I sold my subaru very quickly yesterday and am now transportationless.   Any suggestions on<strong> whether to finance a new or used car?</strong>  Or just go the Craigslist route?   This is so stressful!
    Posted by alleycat821[/QUOTE]

I think it depends on your financial situation.  Obviously new cars are expensive, but there are makes that offer more affordable options (such as Kia).  It really depends on the kind of car you want and how much you want to spend.  That's where I would start.

I personally would stay away from Craigslist.
    IMG_6364
    "Life is not orderly. No matter how we try to make life so, right in the middle of it we die, lose a leg, fall in love, drop a jar of applesauce." - Natalie Goldberg
  • Options
    Alley--I've only bought one new car. Both of  my previous cars were gifts from my parents. I need a new car too, a cheaper one. I'm considering used... but I dunno exactly which car I want yet.

SKP- Go you! And I'm sorta digging the cooler weather. Sorta.
  • Options
    I'm so glad today is Friday!
    Highlights- 3 year anniversary, I made shrimp for the BF for the first time. I got new earrings and amazing flowers, dance classes
    Lowlights- 3 yrs and being NEY

I can't wait for the weekend tonight we're going over to a friends' house for board game night and Saturday we're doing something to celebrate our 3 yr.  Sunday we'll just relax, clean and watch football.

Anniversary

• Options
    I suck today and can't think of any highlights or lowlights, really. This was a pretty average week. 

I am looking forward to this day ending and sleeping in tomorrow :)

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_fried-day?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:47dc6574-2fcc-4895-a68c-3bae34c8dc24Post:43325cdc-c3a6-4c17-aa4c-fc5bbd8c5969">Re: Fried Day</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have the day off today!  Highlight is that I'm buying a car.  Lowlight is... that I have to buy a car.  I sold my subaru very quickly yesterday and am now transportationless.   Any suggestions on whether to finance a new or used car?  Or just go the Craigslist route?   This is so stressful!
    Posted by alleycat821[/QUOTE]
    I bought a brand new car back in June. I just decided to buy new, I didn't want to deal with anything pre owned.  I hate car repairs so with a new car hopefully I'll be good for a little while.

Anniversary

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_fried-day?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:47dc6574-2fcc-4895-a68c-3bae34c8dc24Post:e2676f72-6402-4899-bae3-ee5c590ea086">Fried Day</a>:
    [QUOTE]The week is ending for some of us. Highlights:<strong> H and my wedding was featured in a local magazine! It is one picture of us cutting up our dinner at the reception, as the article was about food. But I'm so excited</strong>! Lowlights: So much friggin' unpacking to do. Suddenly 7 years doesn't sound like enough time to get settled in. You?
    Posted by jenjenniferf[/QUOTE]

<div>That's awesome!!!!</div><div>
    </div><div>Thank goodness it's Friday.  I'd die if it weren't.</div><div>
    </div><div>And I have nothing really happening this weekend worth mentioning.  BF might have tickets to tonight's Nat's game, but it's looking doubtful.</div>
    I french with my man
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Sup, ladies. I'm so glad it's Friday. I am super annoyed that someone in my office is wearing a gallon of perfume and it's making me want to gag.

Other than that, this week has been good. Lots of food/cooking projects going on! :) H's parents are coming into town this weekend and we're going hiking / leaf peeping!
    Married! :) 5/19/12 The Domesticals

• Options
    Hi moocow-What new food projects? 

Anniversary

• Options
    Highlights: Orioles are in the postseason. Found out I'll be an aunt yet again. Hopefully this weekend: Oktoberfest tomorrow.

Lowlights: I'm kindof in a funk. I miss my friends. I keep second-guessing details about the wedding. I need to start exercising, stat.

p.s. I thought this thread was going to be about fried food!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_fried-day?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:47dc6574-2fcc-4895-a68c-3bae34c8dc24Post:3d7fe8a9-99e0-46f7-af12-d4c5117bd181">Re: Fried Day</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi moocow-What new food projects? 
    Posted by danser55[/QUOTE]
    Hey danser! I know I'm late to the party but happy anniversary! We've canned apple butter, applesauce, and roasted red peppers this week. I also made an apple pie (first attempt at homemade pie crust) and we made pizza dough yesterday for pizza tonight. Mmmm.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_fried-day?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:47dc6574-2fcc-4895-a68c-3bae34c8dc24Post:f2dc2a22-2898-4035-85e3-47e246ddea45">Re: Fried Day</a>:
    [QUOTE]Highlights: Orioles are in the postseason. Found out I'll be an aunt yet again. Hopefully this weekend: Oktoberfest tomorrow. Lowlights: I'm kindof in a funk. I miss my friends. I keep second-guessing details about the wedding. I need to start exercising, stat. <strong>p.s. I thought this thread was going to be about fried food!</strong>
    Posted by Smooch711[/QUOTE]

It could still be!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_fried-day?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:47dc6574-2fcc-4895-a68c-3bae34c8dc24Post:bc83b80a-9b8b-492b-817b-b6de08dd9ff4">Re: Fried Day</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Fried Day : It could still be!

I will probably have a pumpkin funnel cake this weekend. :)
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_fried-day?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:47dc6574-2fcc-4895-a68c-3bae34c8dc24Post:a41bd29f-2c44-44a8-82fb-f1a2cd4da53d">Re: Fried Day</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Fried Day : I will probably have a pumpkin funnel cake this weekend. :)
    zomg that sounds amazing

• Options
    Highlights: The Os and Yanks series is tied 2-2 like I predicted.  I don't have to work today so I get to watch CSI and Criminal Minds all day. 

Lowlights: I have a pretty crappy cold.  I had to wait in line for like 30 min at Walmart this morning.  At least I helped the cashier get a cart for the $30 worth of stuff the lady before me left because she couldn't afford it. 

Tonight will be interesting, though, with the last Os vs. Yanks game.  BF is an Os fan.  I'm a Yanks fan.  Good times.  I was 100% unconscious when the game ended last night, though, so I'm obviously an under-the-weather fan.
    I guess, to tell you the truth, I've never had much of a desire to grow facial hair. I think I've managed to play quarterback just fine without a mustache. - Peyton
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_fried-day?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:47dc6574-2fcc-4895-a68c-3bae34c8dc24Post:cccd0edb-3847-49aa-9920-cc5f44391923">Re: Fried Day</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Fried Day : zomg that sounds amazing
    Posted by mookow86[/QUOTE]

Um-YEA! Smooch where do you get that? (asked the old fart with heartburn from her breakfast oatmeal.)
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_fried-day?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:47dc6574-2fcc-4895-a68c-3bae34c8dc24Post:9b031617-d84f-4fd3-b206-efbd97bd7e70">Re: Fried Day</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Fried Day : Hey danser! I know I'm late to the party but happy anniversary! We've canned apple butter, applesauce, and roasted red peppers this week. I also made an apple pie (first attempt at homemade pie crust) and we made pizza dough yesterday for pizza tonight. Mmmm.
    Posted by mookow86[/QUOTE]
    Thanks moocow!  The apple butter and applesauce sound so amazing.  You always cook great stuff.

Anniversary

• Options
    Highlights- Company car came in Monday and I sold my car Monday.  I officially have no car payment and a new ride.

I still have a job, um yeah ( I think)... See lowlights

Lowlights-Last weeks cold has moprhed into something new, consensus has been bronchitis from those around me that hear me hack non-stop. Yuck.  Would like sickness to be over.

My company announced yesterday morning they were letting go of 2200 people.  Gulp.   Had a customer appointment yesterday with my boss where he tells me afterwards that my job is safe for now.  But I know the two people getting canned and one other person whose job is only a  maybe right now.  One of these has baby number 2 due in less than 30 days.  I have since been avoiding talking to all my coworkers except via email.  I'm officially happy and miserable at the same time. 

photo bridalparty.jpg
  • Options
    Highlights: Saw HH The Dalai Lama. Made a dentist appt for Tuesday to fix the toothache. Found out bff might be coming to visit over Thanksgiving which would be AWESOME. I've not seen her in over a year.
    Lowlights: I've got toothache. I need to exercise.

Alleycat - look at certified used cars. You'll get them from the dealers. They're only a couple of years old, in great shape and have a three year warranty, but you don't lose $10k in value when you drive it off the lot. You can get them with barely any miles up to about 40k. I would avoid Craigslist unless you can get a mechanic to take a look at it before you buy.

All this cooking and baking talk is making me hungry. I made tartiflette last night (potatoes, bacon, cheese, cream, caramalized onions) and it was so good. But not diet friendly.
  • Options
    Highlights: I've spent the morning watching Sailor Moon and will be leaving the house in about an hour to go get my hair cut down in my hometown. I'll be taking Freya with me because she needs her nails trimmed. Later today, my coworker Trish is coming over to meet the dogs because she's staying with them from the 22nd to the 26th while we're on vacation :D.

Lowlights: I didn't go into work today for a few hours to make up for the hours I missed on Monday for Tyler's aunt's funeral (my boss told me that if we were married, she could have given me bereavement leave, but because we're not, she couldn't give me any pay -- thanks.) because an insurance adjuster was to come out to look at our leaky roof. He called me to say that since it rained overnight and it doesn't look like it's going to dry, he won't be coming out today. THANKS :|.

• Options
    Highlights: I'm now on antibiotics to try to get rid of my never ending cold. 

Lowlights: My doctor said no running until my antibiotics have a chance to run their course. 

Re: Car stuff
    I bought my car used on Craigslist and I haven't had any problems with it.  But I spent a few months looking and test drove a few crappy cars.  One of which had a some sort of transmission problem that the owner refused to acknowledge.  My FI also knows a ton about cars and was able to look over the car pretty well before we bought it.  We do all of our own car maintenance and never take our cars to dealers.  Throughout our 7 years of dating he has changed the oil, replaced brakes, transmission fluid flush, done plugs and wires, replaced power steering pump, replaced power steering fluid line...he can basically do it all.  So I wasn't worried about buying a car and then turning around and finding out it needed a ton of work. 

That said, FI also used to work in the parts department of a car dealership (Toyota, Scion, Hyundai, Kia, maybe something else?).  He has said he will never buy a Hyundai or Kia.  He said they had more repairs than any other make.  I think he said they replaced 1-2 kia transmissions each month, but they would only replace 1-2 toyota transmissions a year.  Huge difference there!  I know Toyota really impressed him since he used to be all, American made blah blah blah, and now he plans on getting a new Toyota truck. 

I don't know if this will help you out at all, just wanted to give you my 2 cents.  Good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    cu97tigercu97tiger member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited October 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_fried-day?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:47dc6574-2fcc-4895-a68c-3bae34c8dc24Post:e2676f72-6402-4899-bae3-ee5c590ea086">Fried Day</a>:
    [QUOTE]The week is ending for some of us. Highlights: H and my wedding was featured in a local magazine! It is one picture of us cutting up our dinner at the reception, as the article was about food. But I'm so excited! Lowlights: So much friggin' unpacking to do. <strong>Suddenly 7 years doesn't sound like enough time to get settled in. </strong>You?

<div>This made me laugh :)</div><div>
    </div><div><strong>Highlights:</strong> DH has his interview today. I'm glad that part will be over, then we'll just have to wait for an answer. Also, I get to watch my Buffalo Bills play in person on Sunday (even though they'll probably get crushed.</div><div>
    </div><div><strong>Lowlights</strong>: I got nothin! (ETA: I do have something... I'm about to hit my highest weight ever. Since it's only 10-15 lbs over my usual weight, I probably shouldn't be freaking out, but I am. I feel like a sausage in all my clothes.)</div>
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

"You are made of win." -SopChick
    Still here and still fabulous!

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_fried-day?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:47dc6574-2fcc-4895-a68c-3bae34c8dc24Post:51666d26-9814-4d32-95e4-f4576befda12">Re: Fried Day</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Fried Day : <strong>This made me laugh :) </strong>Highlights: <strong>DH has his interview today.</strong> I'm glad that part will be over, then we'll just have to wait for an answer. Also, I get to watch my Buffalo Bills play in person on Sunday (even though they'll probably get crushed. <strong>Lowlights : I got nothin!</strong>
    Posted by cu97tiger[/QUOTE]

All good!

Fingers crossed for a quick and exciting decision from the interview!
  • Options
    Alley-  The car I sold on Monday was a Toyota Rav4.  Echoing Heather's Toyota comments, I was really hard on that car.  In 3 1/2 years I put 90,000 miles on it.  The only work I ever had done to it was the routine oil change, tire rotation, and new tires/brakes (from insane mileage).  I would buy another in a heart beat.   It was actually very sad to let it go.  I've had company cars over the years and owned my own, as well.  None of them held up as well as the Toyota.
    photo bridalparty.jpg
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_fried-day?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:47dc6574-2fcc-4895-a68c-3bae34c8dc24Post:51666d26-9814-4d32-95e4-f4576befda12">Re: Fried Day</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Fried Day : This made me laugh :) Highlights: <strong>DH has his interview today.</strong> I'm glad that part will be over, then we'll just have to wait for an answer. Also, I get to watch my Buffalo Bills play in person on Sunday (even though they'll probably get crushed. Lowlights : I got nothin! (ETA: I do have something... I'm about to hit my highest weight ever. Since it's only 10-15 lbs over my usual weight, I probably shouldn't be freaking out, but I am. I feel like a sausage in all my clothes.)
    Posted by cu97tiger[/QUOTE]

Sending vibes that it all goes really well and you hear back soon!

Anniversary

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_fried-day?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:47dc6574-2fcc-4895-a68c-3bae34c8dc24Post:0643f5a3-8758-4735-bae6-00cd2292e02b">Re: Fried Day</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Fried Day : Um-YEA! Smooch where do you get that? (asked the old fart with heartburn from her breakfast oatmeal.)

The town where my parents live (and I lived until last December) hosts the National Apple Harvest Festival the first two weekends in October every year. There is a stand there with pumpkin funnel cakes. . . so I get one a year. I will further make you drool and tell you they have 3 toppings options: the regular powdered sugar, an iced sugar glaze or cinnamon sugar. YUM!
  • Options
    HI.... yeah its me Lyn.... yeah I know I've been lurking ever since I got back from my wedding.... no I didn't abandon this forum....yes I do love you all....

Highlights: I actually made it to all 4 days of bar class.... Ididn't think I had it in me.  But here I am barely able to bend over to pick up a shirt off the floor and unwilling to move from my chair because my butt feels like its going to fail off.  I am looking forward to giving birthday gifts to Danish Man's younger siblings (twins) and to one of our closest friends since all 3 share the same bday.  I think I did an excellent job with the gifts I found.

Lowlights: My house is still a construction zone and I feel like I"ve been nothing but lazy the last 2 weeks in regards to working on it.  I really would like it to be done before the full brunt of the holidays hit. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_fried-day?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:47dc6574-2fcc-4895-a68c-3bae34c8dc24Post:4e6b67fb-9b56-41ca-91c4-84dd0c1c538e">Re: Fried Day</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Fried Day : T<strong>he town where my parents live (and I lived until last December) hosts the National Apple Harvest Festival the first two weekends in October every year. </strong>There is a stand there with pumpkin funnel cakes. . . so I get one a year. I will further make you drool and tell you they have 3 toppings options: the regular powdered sugar, an iced sugar glaze or cinnamon sugar. YUM!

<div>Mom and I are actually driving up for that tomorrow morning!  We won't get to do any funnel cake, but we're really excited for apples and wine.</div>
    I french with my man
  • Options
    Happy Friday, everyone!  Today is like my Sunday because I'm off today but have to work all weekend.  However (highlight!) I'm not stressed at all about work since I'll never have to see ex-boss's stupid jerk face again.  I've realized over the past week that I really don't mind my job at all when I don't have to work with unpleasant people.

Highlight #2:  I booked my plane ticket for the Jersey g2g yesterday and I'm so flipping excited.

Lowlight:  Ummm...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards