Nevada-Las Vegas

Groom ring

I am curious how much I should be spending on a grooms ring.  I don't want to short my FI but I found a ring that I like for $600 but it is only a.25 carat. I saw another one that is .50 carat and $1000. He says he doesn't care and he will like what ever I get but I am curious how much everyone else spends and how many carats they got their FI.  He is so awesome I don't want to short change him and I like both.
Until the first full year of being one! Anniversary

Re: Groom ring

• edited December 2011
    Oh and I can get the $600 ring tax free but will have to pay taxes on the $1000 which would make it $1100.
  • edited December 2011
    We are looking at a tungsten band for him, as he wants just a plain band.  The bands he likes are pretty inexpensive and range between $200 and $300.
    76 invited image 35 ready to partyimage 41 staying homeimageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Sara191431Sara191431 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I only spent $60 or so on my FI's, it Tungsten, he's not picky at all, and it still looks really nice!  Pic in bio, but if you are wanting diamonds etc., Tungsten wouldn't work for you, they are very popular nowdays though.

$1,000 kinda seems like a lot to spend on a guy's ring IMO, especially since I know you were worried about your budget etc.  I would think your FI would be just as happy with the $500 ring, if not a cheaper one even.

Good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    H's ring was around $750.  it's palladium.

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_groom-ring?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:91Discussion:4e026c8e-3ee7-4be9-988b-bfa5b2d27adfPost:8a7eab40-0402-4813-9730-83f43712b935">Re: Groom ring</a>:
    [QUOTE]I only spent $60 or so on my FI's, it Tungsten, he's not picky at all, and it still looks really nice!  Pic in bio, but if you are wanting diamonds etc., Tungsten wouldn't work for you, they are very popular nowdays though.<strong> $1,000 kinda seems like a lot to spend on a guy's ring IMO, especially since I know you were worried about your budget etc</strong>.  I would think your FI would be just as happy with the $500 ring, if not a cheaper one even. Good luck!
    Posted by Sara191431[/QUOTE]
    Yes I am still worried about the budget.  He did say he will like whatever I get him.  Thank you!!
  • edited December 2011
      Thank you ladies! I think the $600 ring will be just fine.  His only request was that it is white gold which it is.  You guys have really calmed my nerves; thank you so much.
  • edited December 2011
    Dh picked his ring. It was like $550
  • smedina0212smedina0212 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    FI and I are having his custom made..so it's going to cost us around $850, but we originally liked one that was around $300 ( We ordered it and it looked like garbage, so we sent it back).
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Mine is tungsten and carbon fiber and was like $150; how much it cost wasn't really a factor because I picked out the ring I wanted and that was the one.  If only FI's ring was $150.... lol.

Married in Vegas - June 2011

• edited December 2011
    My FI picked out white gold band that has a diagonal slant pattern going through the band, no diamonds. We paid $600
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • MeatAuditorMeatAuditor member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We once saw a men's band on clearance for $50.  FI was really upset when he found out how much cheaper men's rings are.  I'll probably go somewhere around $500. 
    imageimageimage
  • edited December 2011
    @Vegasgroom-Lol! I bet. 
  • hstaples4hstaples4 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're only planning on spending at most a couple hundred on FI ring, he owns a roofing company and he thinks wearing a ring at work would just bother him too much. So since he'll only wear it when we're getting dressed up for something no point in spending a lot on it. And he likes the look of the tungsten rings which work out great price wise. My ring on the other hand which I'll be wearing everyday we'll be spending  a bit more on.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic PersonalMilestone BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    FI can't wear his ring at work either so I have decided to go with the $600 ring.  I can get it tax free and I set up a layway which is perfect so I am excited now and feeling much better about it.

Thanks to everyone for their advice!
  • smokeybaileysmokeybailey member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    FI's ring was much more expensive than my band but it was platinum, which is what he wanted...

Bi-oh-rama
    Now with more wedded bliss.

I don't get married often, but when I do, I do it in Las Vegas.

"Lvharpy could be your AE." - direy25
    "smokeybailey is the one shining beacon of light in this steaming turd of a thread." - daffodil_jill
    "The almighty smokeybailey has spoken." - some bitch on the Las Vegas board

• erinkay81erinkay81 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My FI also picked out a Tungsten- it was like $80 I think.
    LOTS For Sale!! Update 7/6--> erinanddavewedding.weebly.com
  • edited December 2011
    My husband wears a black tungsten ring. I think it was somewhere around 300. He only wears it when we go out.
  • kara811kara811 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    H wanted manly ring with no stones! So he picked this one out: 

It's white gold and cost around $600. He never takes it off!
  • direy25direy25 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_groom-ring?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:91Discussion:4e026c8e-3ee7-4be9-988b-bfa5b2d27adfPost:e01aec2e-2ed6-4f62-84da-98e754bc8abc">Re: Groom ring</a>:
    [QUOTE]FI's ring was much more expensive than my band but it was platinum, which is what he wanted...
    Posted by smokeybailey[/QUOTE]

This.
    Married 5.6.11

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• edited December 2011
    Husband wanted tungsten... Total 300. I felt bad about it and went and bought him a REALLY nice watch. The men shouldn't always get shorted! LOL
  • edited December 2011
    FI and I are using our engagement rings as wedding rings ( I got him an e-ring for Christmas one year when it became clear we would be spending a couple years as an engaged couple). Mostly because we're cheap, but also because it's hard to imagine finding more perfect rings right now. I found his at a local jewelry store, and it's vintage, probably from the 1940s. The jeweler got it at an estate sale a few years ago. I think it cost me $180. I think we'll "upgrade" for our 5 year anniversary.
  • edited December 2011
    FI thought he wanted Tungsten, but once we were in the store he kept picking out white gold bands, his ring was also more than my band.  But I told him he was worth precious metal!
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    My fiance went with the Tungsten and it was about $160. My engagement/wedding ring is amazing so I felt bad but he wanted something simple and comfortable. It worked for him but I still feel bad! :(
  • edited December 2011
    DH chose his ring at our jeweler, he didnt want any diamonds and was set on white gold. A ring they had in the cabinet fit perfectly and because our jeweler bought it 3 years ago, we got it at the cost of gold then! DH liked it and couldnt pass up the deal. We bought the display for $350 - to order one would have been over $700 :)

Anyways, I dont think the price of a ring makes it anymore or less special. I felt guilty about the cost of my rings compared to his so I bought him a very nice ESQ watch for his wedding gift. It has diamonds in it which give him at least a little bling :)

Charity
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you everyone for your input.  I am happy with my choice and if I want to I can upgrade the ring at a later date.  Everyone has beautiful rings!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards