Pre-wedding Parties
Options

Hosting a wedding shower for an OOT bride

Hello ladies,

Here is the back story: I am co-hosting a (surprise) shower for my future cousin-in-law. She is originally from CA and moved to RI for her FI (he's in the coast guard). However, they are getting married in CA where all of her family members are. The shower is going to be held in the community room where FI's mother lives.

The grooms family lives on the east coast-while I was compiling a list of people for the shower I could only come up with 7 that are also invited to the wedding. None of her co-workers or other friends from here are invited to the wedding, so that idea is out.

I told her mom I was thinking about having a shower, and she said she is going to fly out from CA just for it! Her tickets are already booked.

I guess my point is that I am nervous this shower isn't going to be as great as I want it to be for her. I don't want it to turn into a joke because only 4 people can come or something like that, especially because her mom is coming all this way! Am I worrying about nothing? If there are so few people attending the shower, do you think a venue like a restaurant is more appropriate? I think some advice is needed on how this can go smoothly with a very intimate shower.

Thank you so much for reading this.
Planning/Project Fit

Photobucket
"Sounds of laughter shades of earth are ringing through my open ears inciting and inviting me"

Re: Hosting a wedding shower for an OOT bride

• Options
    edited December 2011
    My MOH very generously offered to host a shower where she lives (my home town) and the only people invited to the wedding from there are my aunts, mom, sister and 1 cousin who is about my age.  She seemed a bit concerned about the small guest list, but there were about 10 of us and it was absolutely lovely.  We all had a great chance to catch up with each other before the big day. 

Big or small, showers are just about being with the people you're closest to.  =) 

• Options
    edited December 2011
    There's nothing wrong with having a small shower.  It's kind of you to host one at all.  I'm sure most of mine will be on the small side, and I'm completely happy with that.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Small, intimate showers are nice. You could let the bride know ahead of time the number of guests you are inviting. Since she made the wedding guest list, it shouldn't come as a surprise to her that the shower will be small.

If you want to make a larger party, you could make it coed.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks so much for the responses! I think I was worried about nothing, it should be a great time for everyone. :-)

Maire- I would love to tell the bride about the shower, but it is a surprise!
    Planning/Project Fit

Photobucket
    "Sounds of laughter shades of earth are ringing through my open ears inciting and inviting me"
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You don't need to say, "Surprise, it's a bridal shower!" You could just surprise her with a nice intimate lunch at which you happen to give her gifts to wish her well for her wedding.
  • Options
    BlueBoxBrideBlueBoxBride member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We had a co-shower and it was awesome!
    "I liked it, so I put a ring on it" - future Mr. Box
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards