Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Kids at the reception ideas please

I am trying to figure something out neat for the kids at the reception. It's going to be a very family style reception, since FI family from other states are coming and it's going to be kind of a family reunion too.

I have black table cloths, so I was thinking of doing a couple of tables in black paper and putting crayons on them that would show up (white, gold, silver, etc.) and letting the kiddos doodle on it. I'd like to do something else, anyone have any ideas?

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Kids at the reception ideas please

• Options
    Instead of that, I would actually just talk to the parents.

Most parents I know wouldn't want their young children at a table by themselves - and if they had to supervise kid activities throughout the day then they wouldn't be able to enjoy the adult reception festivities.

So what about just making sure that you offer kid-friendly foods?  My experience is that kids will entertain themselves.
  • Options
    Ditto banana. Maybe do some sort of children's menu if you want something special for the kids.

I didn't do anything specifically for the children we had at our reception, and they were all very well behaved and played with one another. They didn't need games, etc. to keep them happy.
    **i'm a little drunk on you and high on summertime** Photobucket
  • Options

Thanks! Yeah, I think there will be enough kids there to keep themselves entertained, I am worried about the 7-11 age range though. But I bet everything will work out.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    i am having the kids eat meals with their parents and then have a kids table for them all after.  we are doing paper table clothes for them as well.  then there will be a bride and groom coloring book, bubbles, crayons and markers, mazes, word jumbles, and pipe cleaners.  

we also did a kids meal of homemade organic mac and cheese.  which is what i want to eat at my own wedding...
  • Options
    I am never a big fan of crayons, markers, play-doh at a wedding.  What will you do when you discover that a child had an artistic moment on the wall or carpet of the venue?  The venue will not be happy and could charge you a destruction of property or cleaning fee.

Kids will entertain themselves.  They will want to do what the adults are doing--eat, drink, dance, talk. Just give them a shirley temple with extra cherries in a fancy glass and they will be in heaven.

FWIW, my SIL brought a "kid pack" that had sticker books, raisins, and toys for her two boys ages 4 and 6.  The bag never got touched.
    ROCK IS KING!!
  • Options

Try to have a kids choice on the menu if you can because lots of kids are not fans of the fancy foods.

A lot of them will probably dance with their parents and each other too.

I like the idea of crayons and a coloring book too, I have made star shaped crayons and am working on coloring books for them too.

My Bio
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
    image 154 Invited
    image 47 Ready to Party
    image 7 Missing out
    image 100 Need to find the mailbox
  • Options
    I am planning on having kids in my wedding party, and some friends will also be bringing their kids. So I am planning on renting one of those inflatable jumpers for after the wedding. That way the little ones as well as everyone's inner child can come out.
    You know you are truly blessed when you find that one who completes you,makes you totally happy, and feels your pain from the other room. The one you feel lost without, the one that makes you laugh, the one that makes you cry. The one that makes you wonder how you can be so lucky. Congratulations to everyone who has found "the one."
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards