Canada-Ontario
Options

Buffet or plated dinner?

When you are attending a wedding which would you prefer: Plated dinner or buffet dinner? Do you have a reason or is it just a preference?

Thanks!

Re: Buffet or plated dinner?

• Options
    colourzcolourz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I definitely prefered plated. I hate standing in the line ups for food.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Plated.  Same reason... don't like the lines. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't really care as long as the food is good and (in the case of a buffet) the tables are spaced out well enough to walk around easily with plates full of food.

We actually did a family style dinner where the food was served in platters in the middle of the table. Best of both worlds!
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • Options
    unplainjaneunplainjane member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i've actually never been to a buffet wedding. but generally i would prefer plated so i don't have to stand in line.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think that there are benefits and drawbacks for both,
    Buffet
    Benefits - cheaper, people can get foos when they want, people can choose what they want and take as much as they want, encourages people to talk and interact as they are up and moving.

Drawbacks - if there is not enough food then people may not eat, line ups for food less formal, difficult for people with mobility issues or for people who are clumsy, people are more likely to drop food creating a mess.

Plated
    Benefits - more formal, easier for people with mobility issues, encoruages people at the table to talk, no line ups
    Drawbacks: more expensive (need more staff for serving) guests dont mingle as much

I think it is a personal choice, I have been to weddings with both. Look at your personal preferences, budget and your guests and your theme for your wedding and that will make your decision for you.
    hope this helps
  • Options
    melanniejanemelanniejane member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you all! 

The reason for the question was FH and I were both wanting different things. He said he really didn't care but thought a buffet would be good for the fact that you can take what you like (he's a fussy eater). I have never been to a buffet wedding, but I personally don't like the line ups, being called table by table being a possibility didn't thrill me either, nor does food being cold by the time you interact and get back to your table. So, I was just wanting some more feedback and opinions without involving family and everyone getting set on what we should have! LOL....Yes, that's happening already with some trying to make sure there is going to be food there they and there kids like!

I think we are going to go with beef AND chicken (not a choice), plus a vegetarian option and that way there's bound to be food everyone is happy with.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I think it would depend on your family and social circle. I personally would prefer a sitdown plated dinner for a wedding. I think a buffet style has a bit more casual feel to it.
  • Options
    mattycammattycam member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We did a buffet reception for the sole purpose of cost. Our setting was semi-formal and it worked out really well. People were well fed, got to take as much food as they want and there was a variety. I do agree that having a sit down meal is usually the general preference but if you are trying to cust down on costs, I would recommend buffet style.
  • Options
    naomikbnaomikb member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I prefer plated or family-style.  I really don't like standing in lines.  Also I hate it when you do finally get there and all of the (insert most delicious menu item here) is gone.

From the places we looked at there was no price difference between the two so no financial advantange to doing a buffet.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Although I wouldn't mind a buffet, I certainly prefer plated and that is just personal preference. I don't want to have to get my own food -haha! But seriously that's it for me. I would however, be concerned about some the elderly or people with mobility issues having to cross the room, wait in line, get their own portions and carry it back to their table.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards