Texas-Dallas and Ft. Worth

Cake help

Hello DFW brides, 

I am planning my October wedding in DFW from the DC area. Can anyone help me with a bakery and/or private person who sells cakes at a reasonable price? What is the going rate per piece these days? They all seem unreasonably high to me but wanted to get some personal feedback from past brides. 

PLEASE help me if you have any suggestions and have been pleased!

Thanks in advance!
Alex

Re: Cake help

• I'm getting mine done by a friend who just started her business out of her home. I think the going rate is $2.50-4.00/ slice for most bakeries in the area.

Panini Cakes and the Cake Guys seem to be the most popular around here.
    I bet some of the other girls will start chiming in!
  • My cake from the Cake Guys was $3.50/slice in 2009 but now they have the Sweet Inspiration package which may be a better deal.
  • Welcome! My DH and I lived in Old Town for two years, and moved back to The Dallas area almost two years ago. And we miss DC tremendously! We got married October 2011 and also used a lady who bakes out of her home. Her name is Ruth Robbins with Tastefully Yours, and her cakes are delicious, and extremely moist. We paid $3.25 a slice, and that was for buttercream icing. Let me know if you want any more detail!
  • I am using Ruth Robbins.

The cake guys sweet inspiration package is a good deal. Plus their cake is very good!

I know one girl used The Flour Shop in Highland Village and they were pretty reasonable.
  • juliebug1997juliebug1997 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited February 2012
    I used Dallas Affaires in Lakewood.  I paid for about half the cake and my venue paid the other half (truly, I might have paid more than half because I also had to pay for the flowers on my cake) but ours was more than what the others have paid.  That having been said, we had a very detailed cake, it was five tiers (two of them being fake) and had fresh flowers.  They have a great website:  http://www.dallasaffairescakeco.com/

They were delicious and had some wonderful flavors.  Their cakes (both white and chocolate) were delicious and moist.  Seriously, the best chocolate cake I've ever had.

ETA:  Our cake is #25 in the wedding gallery.
  • We are also using Ruth Robbins.  She is wonderful to work with, her cakes are deeeelicious, and reasonable priced.  I think ours are $3.25/slice for basic layers and $3.75 for layers with liqueur.
    Anniversary Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited February 2012
    My friend used Delicious Cakes last year and it was $2.25 a slice and soo soo good! I don't know what her experience was with the bakery, she never said anything negative that I can think of. Her cake was beautiful and moist. She used buttercream icing because there was such a high upcharge for fondant.

http://www.deliciouscakes.com

This was early last year so I don't know if pricing has changed or not. Hope this helps!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We used Panini, and I think it came out to around $3.00/slice PLUS Sophie got free "sugar paper" for my groom's cake, which had a very, very elaborate design.  I copied the sides of some of his favorite board games and then she had the designs printed on edible paper.  Everyone said when they first walked in, they thought we'd actually brought a stack of board games and wanted to know if we thought we were going to get bored.
    Anniversary

• Thanks so much for all the suggestions! Much appreciated! Keep 'em coming!
  • I liked my cake from Candy Haven. Cake Guys is delicious as well, and pretty affordable if you use their packages.

To all the girls recommending home bakers: Have they passed the law letting people bake out of their home yet? If not, I would be very careful about giving out their info online.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I also used Ruth... she made the most adorable groom's cake. And she'll take a bit off the price if you mention The Knot sent you and her delivery fee is very reasonable.

For large tier cake and groom's cake we paid just over $500.

Simple flavors and buttercream are cheaper than fondant with intricate cake designs.
  • For those who used Ruth - I called her and she seemed really quiet and wasn't full of a ton of information. Did you get same initial response? Would you mind sending me images of the cakes she did for you? What kind of discount did she provide for mentioning the Knot?
  • Cakes By Joanna is $2.75ish a slice.
    All in The Cake Mix is around $2.75 a slice as well
    Sandy Chang with Sandy's Unique Imprint is $3 a slice and amazing
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards