Illinois-Chicago

First Look

We have been going back and forth on this since we've been engaged.  All of our vendors are strongly recommending it (our wedding is at 5pmn with the cocktail hour and reception immediately following), but my fiance is traditional and would like to see me for the first time walking downt he aisle. Any thoughts??

Re: First Look

• It's ultimately up to you. We did a first look and I'm so glad we did. It was nice to have the first time he saw me in my dress be just the two of us, and we also got to take all of our group photos before the wedding. It made everything run smoothly and we were much more relaxed I think by doing it that way. No matter what you decide, the first time he sees you will still be very special, whether it's before the ceremony or when you walk down the aisle. And for the record, it'll still be emotional when you do walk down towards him, that's a special moment no matter what. He was still so happy to see me and I still cried. So I don't feel like anything was "ruined" by us doing it that way.
    Nov 2011 Brides - Fav Cocktail
    Pomegranate Margarita
  • My photographer told us that the tradition of not seeing eachother before the ceremony comes from the era of mail order brides. The bride didn't want her soon to be husband to see her because she feared he would not marry her if he saw her. I think the tradition has turned into something much more romantic, but it's interesting where the "tradition" came from (if that is true).

We are doing a first look, has nothing to do with the above. I just want to make sure we have enough time and don't feel rushed. I figure if we are paying for the photogapher during that time, might as well use them! I also think if I waited until we walked down the aisle I would be so emotional. If I do get emotional, I would rather it just be the two of us. I am sure either way it will be very special for you! :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We did a first look and I am really glad we did.

Originally I was dead-set against it, but the more I talked to others and looked at our timeline (ceremony and reception at same location), the more it made sense to do it.  You are a ball of emotions on your wedding day and there's so much built up anticipation that it's nice to see each other before the ceremony in private to share this feeling together of "this is really happening" btwn just the two of you.  We took pics before the ceremony and walking down the aisle, even though we'd seen each other prior to, we still couldn't keep our eyes off each other.

I've never heard anyone complain about having done a first look, but I have had a few friends who didn't and said if they changed one thing about their wedding day, they wish they would have done a first look.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards