Just Engaged and Proposals
Options

I need some HELP!

Hi everyone. I just got engaged on thursday night and I'm so anxious I just want to set the date! Everything else will fall into place, but picking the date is really driving me nuts!

I always thought a Thanksgiving wedding would be perfect, but my fiance (YAY! I LOVE SAYING THAT) reminded me that I hate cold, and that it will be darker early, and the trees will be naked so our pictures will most likely all be taken inside.  He continued with saying that in August everything is green and pretty and warm and summer is "perfect for his bride". I love that he knows me so well.

But, first of all.... will everyone not like Thanksgiving because it's their "holiday" or will they love it because a big thanksgiving spread and all of your friends/family in one room is what its all about. Loving your loved ones and being thankful. My grandparents were married on thanksgiving day, so it has a few more sentimental elements for me.

I know I'm over thinking it...August...November, it doesnt matter. I'm marrying my best friend!!!!! But I want it all to be amazing and memorable. Will the pictures being inside really bother me? I hare snow and being cold..... so is August the better choice?

Please help. I could really use some advice from someone whos been there. <3

Re: I need some HELP!

• Options
    Hi there!! Well, CONGRATS!!! I am newly engaged and just had this conversation with my fiance. We decided on an October wedding, because I really wanted all the leaves to be changing for pictures... He originally wanted August, but we live in the midwest and it has been 95 degrees plus almost every day here this August and I know that if it is that hot... all the guys would die in their suits! Although, he is right pics would be beautiful!!
    My parents got married Thanksgiving weekend (that Fri) back 30 plus years ago. They were just telling us last night how it started to snow when they left the church, but how beautiful it was because it was still fairly warm. Im not sure where you live, but I think both options have their positives and negatives... (like all months).
    August will book up quicker too! (since it is still summer). I think the Thanksgiving idea would be gorgeous! But I am a fall person! I dont know if I helped!! haha, but Good luck!!!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Are you talking Thanksgiving Day or weeked before or after Thanksgiving?  Also, how many out of town guest?  Travel is extremely expensive that time of the year so that may cause many to not come.  How many attendents and if you were an attendent, would you mind not being with your family on one of the most celebrated holidays on anyone's calendar?  I would think most venues and caters would charge a surcharge if it is on a holiday, since they have to pay out holday pay.

I would not attend a wedding on Thanksgiving unless is would be immediate family.
  • Options
    I would possibly do Thanksgiving weekend, but not the day either! That would be very hard for most people to leave their family if they are just friends...
  • Options
    Congrats!

Personally, my family is big on holiday traditions.  Everyone would be very upset if I wasn't there to go to a friend's wedding.  If you want to have your wedding on Thanksgiving, I would prepare for the fact that many of your guests will probably decline.
  • Options
    Congrats and welcome.  I gotta agree with the PP...I think I would shoot for August.  Is it hot there though?  You might think about that also, if it is.
  • Options

This is all very true, and very helpful. Yes I was thinking of having a wedding on Thanksgiving, a thursday, just like my grandparents did 60 years ago. I feel like, the important people will be there.  We really just want the people we love to be there to celebrate with us... I guess it will all work itself out.

• Options
    Good Luck! If it was one of my best friends or family I would be there will bells on!!
  • Options
    I always thought a Thanksgiving wedding would be cute if you actually did a traditional Thanksgiving dinner for the reception.  But I agree with PP's, you really need to consider your guests and what their holiday traditions are as well as the travel situation.  I'd have to say that it'd be easier all around to go with an August date (although I don't think I could do that here...it's been in the 110's all week. LOL)
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I personally hate when people have weddings on a holiday or holiday weekend. Many people know what they're doing for holidays years in advance, and a wedding throws a huge kink into plans. If it really means something to you, then go for it, but I wouldn't plan on much more than immediate family being there. Maybe you could have something really small with immediate family on Thanksgiving, then have a reception a couple weeks later.
  • Options
    I just got married in August, and I still can't get enough of this wedding stuff, so I made a blog for brides to learn my dos and don'ts and my advise! Check it out!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards